TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Ok, thanks Jessica!

When it says achievements or activities, this to me suggests to exclude employment situations, am I right in thinking this.

So far im thinking along the lines of:

- Debating Society/Treasurer role at uni
- Captain of Rugby Team at School
- A short course that I did on Financing Solutions
You can include employment opportunities if there is an achievement within it (rather than just doing your day job).

I wouldn't think so heavily about what the examples are, more will they demonstrate a skill or skills/attributes that Macfarlanes is looking for.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hello guys,

I have to answer two questions and I am not sure about the approach to take, could I share my ideas with you?
1) what motivates you? Please support this with an example of where you demonstrated your drive and motivation.
I am not sure what I should talk about, should I mention a situation where I demonstrated my resilience and drive to achieve a particular goal?

2) Give an example of where you have taken responsibility for others-describe the situation and your contribution. Does the question refer to a time when I managed a team?

Your help is much appreciated.

Reactions: BeGrateful.101

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hello guys,

I have to answer two questions and I am not sure about the approach to take, could I share my ideas with you?
1) what motivates you? Please support this with an example of where you demonstrated your drive and motivation.
I am not sure what I should talk about, should I mention a situation where I demonstrated my resilience and drive to achieve a particular goal?

2) Give an example of where you have taken responsibility for others-describe the situation and your contribution. Does the question refer to a time when I managed a team?

Your help is much appreciated.
1) For this, you will need to introspect a bit on who you are and what encourages you to be a lawyer, pursue your interests etc. This could be things like your curiosity, enthusiasm, resilience etc. The way I'd structure it would be to state what motivates you ➡️ pick an example where you demonstrated this motivating factor (a university initiative, volunteering activity, something for your job, a hobby of yours etc.)➡️ talk about how whatever fuels you drive and motivation kept you going through the example, especially through any ups and downs.

2) The structure I'd follow for this is to think about a time where you were either part of a team or lead a team ➡️ state what you were tasked with ➡️ walk the reader through your contribution➡️ talk about any challenges you faced and how your contribution helped overcome them➡️ end with the result of your team working together and/or the result of your contribution.

• 🏆
  • ℹ️
Reactions: IT7, S87 and Adrian_S

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
1) For this, you will need to introspect a bit on who you are and what encourages you to be a lawyer, pursue your interests etc. This could be things like your curiosity, enthusiasm, resilience etc. The way I'd structure it would be to state what motivates you ➡️ pick an example where you demonstrated this motivating factor (a university initiative, volunteering activity, something for your job, a hobby of yours etc.)➡️ talk about how whatever fuels you drive and motivation kept you going through the example, especially through any ups and downs.

2) The structure I'd follow for this is to think about a time where you were either part of a team or lead a team ➡️ state what you were tasked with ➡️ walk the reader through your contribution➡️ talk about any challenges you faced and how your contribution helped overcome them➡️ end with the result of your team working together and/or the result of your contribution.
Thank you so much for your reply, it is so helpful.

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.