Slaughter and May 2021 Training Contract

Miki3999

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    My cover letter turned out to be a page long. I covered "why commercial law?" "Why Slaughter and May?" and "Why me". I put S&M's address in the right hand corner and now I'm trying to fit my own address. I wonder if it's necessary, as they have the address anyway on the app form.

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    My cover letter turned out to be a page long. I covered "why commercial law?" "Why Slaughter and May?" and "Why me". I put S&M's address in the right hand corner and now I'm trying to fit my own address. I wonder if it's necessary, as they have the address anyway on the app form.
    Personally I would not put either address in but simply address the cover letter to the relevant person as indicated in the application. It’s not necessary.

JoNo

Legendary Member
    Jan 28, 2019
    Is it true that S&M only accept students from Russell Group universities? As I have the A-level requirements and the grades. But unsure on whether they accept people from non-Russell?

Romiras

Legendary Member
    Associate
    Apr 3, 2019
    Is it true that S&M only accept students from Russell Group universities? As I have the A-level requirements and the grades. But unsure on whether they accept people from non-Russell?

I think, as with many other 'top' city firms, there is a lower representation of Non-RG Universities. However, I recall meeting a trainee from Hull University.

I don't think any firm has a blanket policy to preclude certain backgrounds, or otherwise. Although, Slaughter and May (at least in the 2017-18 cycle) have explicitly asked in some interviews "why" a candidate did not study in Oxbridge. However, clearly they recruit from other universities.

I'd encourage you to prepare for certain questions surrounding your university choice as a pre-caution. This applies to any firm, but perhaps more so for Slaughter and May.

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018

Hey! So I was interviewed by a partner who went to the University of Aberdeen, and was shown around by a trainee from the University of Leicester. Someone I know attended the University of Reading and did a summer vac scheme with Slaughter and May a while ago.

Hope that helps. Feel free to PM if you have any further questions. :)

Reactions: Miki3999 and JoNo

Romiras

Legendary Member
    Associate
    Apr 3, 2019
    You'll be given some materials and you'll have to write a client memo. You'll also be given an article to read before your partner interview (two partners). The partner interview will be broken down into half about you, your motivations and typical questions. The other half will be challenging your understanding and views on the article you've read.

Reactions: Miki3999

Miki3999

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    Thanks guys! I'm just worried because it's going to be my first interview and I've never done a client memo before. Time to get to work I guess :D I will start by looking up those threads!

Reactions: Jaysen

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    Do Slaughters compensate for travel expenses? I need to spend over £200 on flights and it's a lot for a student like me

Just checked my inbox for you. They reimburse up to £150. Did you not receive a similar email?

I received two emails last year - a first generic one inviting me to interview, and a second detailed one after I booked my interview slot online.

C27B3F7D-ABB9-4758-A458-BC7309559481.png

Last edited:
    • 🤝
    Reactions: Miki3999

Romiras

Legendary Member
    Associate
    Apr 3, 2019
    Just got a Slaughters interview invite today ! Does anyone have any reccomendations for preparing for the written exercise ? I've never done one before so I'm a bit nervous for that portion of the AC.

You could try reading a bundle of articles (from different sources) on a particular subject and then create a client memo. You could then get that client memo reviewed by someone.

Reactions: HenryGirton

SarahB3

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 28, 2019
    Will anyone be able to advise how to list our academics and % on the CV. I am applying for their direct TC. My CV is quite lengthy, more than 2 pages due to my legal experiences and curricular activities. Do you think sending a CV that is 2 1/2 pages long okay or should I strictly keep it to 2 pages ?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.