Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey guys!

Trying to write about a recent news story for a firm that has a heavy focus on finance and energy. Can anyone recommend any articles? :)

Finance and energy covers a huge area! You may want to look at what's happening with oil prices, Deutsche Bank, Danske Bank, the impact of Brexit on financial services etc.

FYI - if this is for the "tell me about a news story that interests you", it's not necessary to find one that's linked to the firm. Ideally, you want to talk about a story you've been following for a while and genuinely interests you.

bronson

Distinguished Member
    Nov 23, 2018
    Hey guys!

Trying to write about a recent news story for a firm that has a heavy focus on finance and energy. Can anyone recommend any articles? :)

I don't know any exact articles off the top of my head but for finance leveraged loans market is quite topical in finance at the moment and the potential instability and lack of investors protections as a result.

For energy OPEC (Oil and Petroleum Exporting Countries) are trying to create a stronger Saudi-Russia group alliance to increase their ability to raise oil prices as they are relatively low at the moment. The US also recently became the UK's biggest supplier of crude oil since mid 1950's - 1 in 4 barrels come from the US now if I'm not mistaken.

But as @Jaysen said make sure you are genuinely interested in this and can talk at length/ form an opinion on it as it would most likely get asked in an interview.

Reactions: v123

Shane O'Hanlon

Star Member
    Feb 8, 2019
    Hey guys,

Quick question about the London - Shanghai Stock Connect. So, if a UK law firm is helping a chinese listed client access capital on the LSE by issuing global depositary reciepts, I undrstand that the finnance team (specifically Capital Markets) will be involved primarily, but will the corproate group also be working extensively on the matter as well ? I know that it's not technically a flotation, but they must play a simmilar role right ? If you reckon that other departments would also be involved please let me know.

Thank you

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey guys,

Quick question about the London - Shanghai Stock Connect. So, if a UK law firm is helping a chinese listed client access capital on the LSE by issuing global depositary reciepts, I undrstand that the finnance team (specifically Capital Markets) will be involved primarily, but will the corproate group also be working extensively on the matter as well ? I know that it's not technically a flotation, but they must play a simmilar role right ? If you reckon that other departments would also be involved please let me know.

Thank you

You may find this helpful: https://www.linklaters.com/en/about...-via-the-shanghai-london-stock-connect-scheme - you can see a corporate partner was involved in addition to capital markets. Other support departments like tax could also be asked for their input.

Shane O'Hanlon

Star Member
    Feb 8, 2019
    Hi guys I'm having a meeting with the debt capital markets department tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone would know any typical trainee tasks when completing bond issuance and securitisation transactions. Just want to be as informed as possible. If anyone has any advice I'd be very greatful @Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.