Training Contract Applications

anaisindia

Dec 30, 2018
Bakers should be the same as the questions for March deadline. You might want to check about Ashurst because I understood they were full until March 2022 - @anaisindia may know more

Yes they're full until March 2022 and may have even filled all of those spots now. If you apply in the next round, I think the earliest will be September 2022 but I'm not sure. It's worth checking with grad recruitment.

Reactions: PO499 and S30

Shane O'Hanlon

Star Member
Feb 8, 2019
Hi everybody just another quick question,

I ended up getting three vacation scheme offers this cycle, but because two of the schemes clashed and other personal circumstances stopping me from making it back for the other scheme, I only ended up accepting one scheme in July. I am just wondering whether it would be appropriate to mention somewhere on the application form that I got VS offers from those two other firms. Its just that I put a lot of time and effort into to making high-quality applications and preparing well for ACs, and it seems a bit of a shame that i wouldn't be able to mention that I was also sucessul in the recruitment process with two other firms.

All thoughts welcome

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018
Hi everybody just another quick question,

I ended up getting three vacation scheme offers this cycle, but because two of the schemes clashed and other personal circumstances stopping me from making it back for the other scheme, I only ended up accepting one scheme in July. I am just wondering whether it would be appropriate to mention somewhere on the application form that I got VS offers from those two other firms. Its just that I put a lot of time and effort into to making high-quality applications and preparing well for ACs, and it seems a bit of a shame that i wouldn't be able to mention that I was also sucessul in the recruitment process with two other firms.

All thoughts welcome

Congratulations on your offers! I've not been in your position before, but if I were, I would mention it in the work experience section, and include a short explanation on why you were unable to attend the other two schemes. I do think it would be an advantageous thing to highlight.

Nat

Star Member
Sep 8, 2018
Hi all

Has anyone heard from Reed Smith or Dentons re their training contract app?

More than a month has passed since I applied and I haven't heard back. I think both firms recruit on a rolling basis.

Many thanks
N

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hi all

Has anyone heard from Reed Smith or Dentons re their training contract app?

More than a month has passed since I applied and I haven't heard back. I think both firms recruit on a rolling basis.

Many thanks
N
Reed Smith nothing either yet. Are they rolling for certain?

Nat

Star Member
Sep 8, 2018
Reed Smith nothing either yet. Are they rolling for certain?

Their FAQs say "Yes, we screen all our applications on a rolling basis. Please note that our application form has been designed to assess your research and analysis skills, among others, and it gives you the opportunity to really show off your knowledge and abilities. The form will get you thinking about, and using, the skills you will need as a trainee, and we would highly recommend that you start your application in good time so that there is no time pressure before the deadline." [https://www.reedsmith.com/en/careers/general/uk-faqs]

The FAQs also say that they interview for training contracts on a rolling basis from April to July. There is hope! :)

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
Their FAQs say "Yes, we screen all our applications on a rolling basis. Please note that our application form has been designed to assess your research and analysis skills, among others, and it gives you the opportunity to really show off your knowledge and abilities. The form will get you thinking about, and using, the skills you will need as a trainee, and we would highly recommend that you start your application in good time so that there is no time pressure before the deadline." [https://www.reedsmith.com/en/careers/general/uk-faqs]

The FAQs also say that they interview for training contracts on a rolling basis from April to July. There is hope! :)
Ah yes - thanks for that. Very true about the application - it had a couple of quite challenging questions.

Cristina

Jul 15, 2019
Hello everyone! I applied for a Linklaters training contract in May. I received the Watson-Glaser test after a few days and took it within the allotted time. I didn't receive a confirmation that my results had been received, so I emailed Grad Recruitment and they responded on June 14 saying my results had been received, that they were in the process of reviewing my application, and that they would be in contact shortly regarding next steps. I haven't heard anything since. I believe the last day to submit applications was June 27. Should I follow up with someone? TYIA!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hello everyone! I applied for a Linklaters training contract in May. I received the Watson-Glaser test after a few days and took it within the allotted time. I didn't receive a confirmation that my results had been received, so I emailed Grad Recruitment and they responded on June 14 saying my results had been received, that they were in the process of reviewing my application, and that they would be in contact shortly regarding next steps. I haven't heard anything since. I believe the last day to submit applications was June 27. Should I follow up with someone? TYIA!

As it's peak application season, they're likely just sifting through applications. I'd leave it for now unless you want a time frame.

Cristina

Jul 15, 2019
    As it's peak application season, they're likely just sifting through applications. I'd leave it for now unless you want a time frame.
    Thanks so much! Is there a typical timeline for responses? I don't want to prod them too much, but I'm not a UK national and am starting to wonder about visa turnaround in time for the September GDL start date.

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    Thanks so much! Is there a typical timeline for responses? I don't want to prod them too much, but I'm not a UK national and am starting to wonder about visa turnaround in time for the September GDL start date.

Non-EU national here. I think it’s a little early to think about visa applications - that only becomes a live issue if you pass the next assessment stage, so I think it would be quite premature to raise with GR. If you miss the September GDL intake, you’ll just be moved to the next available one!

As to timeframe - in my experience two cycles ago, Links took about 2 weeks from WG to AC invite. But as Jaysen said it is peak season and they are probably extremely busy. I would just be patient and work on other apps (if you can).

Cristina

Jul 15, 2019
    Non-EU national here. I think it’s a little early to think about visa applications - that only becomes a live issue if you pass the next assessment stage, so I think it would be quite premature to raise with GR. If you miss the September GDL intake, you’ll just be moved to the next available one!

As to timeframe - in my experience two cycles ago, Links took about 2 weeks from WG to AC invite. But as Jaysen said it is peak season and they are probably extremely busy. I would just be patient and work on other apps (if you can).

Thanks for the info! I'm considering beginning the GDL even if I don't have a TC yet, which is why I'm thinking about visas haha. I'm a practicing attorney in my home country so I think I'm just anxious because it's so hard to make a call on things last minute where I'm at! But patience is a virtue I guess, so I will just wait! Thanks again :)

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hello, please does anyone have experience with the White & Case vac scheme/training contract video interview?

Hi Amy,

I completed the W&C VI in January this year for the spring vac and on the top of my head, I was asked three questions and they were:

1. Why have you applied to White & Case?;
    2. A question which related to White & Case 2020 strategy (I do not remember the exact words); and
    3. What key skills do you possess which will ensure you will be a successful solicitor at white and case (providing examples).

The questions might change for your training contract video interview but I hope the above helps as a starting point.

Salma

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.