Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hi everyone!

I am sad to say that I have just departed from TCLA to focus on a range of new commitments for the upcoming year. I had a wonderful time working with @Jaysen and the rest of the team and it was very rewarding to be able to give back to the forums, which were of unparalleled help to me during my own application process.

I have left you all with three 'master posts' for the 2022-2023 application cycle. These will be updated over the coming weeks and I hope you find them useful! You will be able to find them all going forward at the link in my signature :)

Law Firm Application Deadlines 2022-2023
Rolling/Non-Rolling 2022-2023
Where firms recruit from (Vacation Scheme vs Direct TC applications) 2022-2023

Thank you for being a great community!

UnTCSilVousPlait

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 4, 2021
    The key thing I would stress with this question is linking it to success at A&O in particular - I think this is a slight nuance that many people will miss.

You don't have to justify that you have those skills in this answer though as the question is not asking you to do this. However, some people cleverly (although exceptionally briefly) reference how they have developed/demonstrated those skills or qualities, especially if they can leverage other evidence in the rest of their application.
    Thank you so much, Jessica! I would have been one of those people :D

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    One of the questions on A&O WVS scheme asks:

Why do you want to become a commercial lawyer at A&O and what do you think are the key skills and qualities required for success? (250 words)

I understand that the first two parts are standard: Why this firm and why commercial law? Is the 'key skills' part asking us to simply say why skill X is important or expecting us to justify that we have skill X and how it will help? A bit confused because 250 words for otherwise 3 distinct questions looks tricky. Would love to have any insight/idea on this.
    I'd focus on why A&O for the first part and pick 2-3 skills and qualities for the second part, dividing up the word count fairly equally between both. You'll have to be careful about answering the question super succinctly and making the best use of the word count!

Reactions: Rob93

starman

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 21, 2021
    Hi, is there a preference for bullet points vs short descriptions of work responsibilities in the work experience section? I remember Mr. Gascoyne from Shearman & Sterling indicating the latter but what's the general take on the matter? Thanks in advance! 😀

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, is there a preference for bullet points vs short descriptions of work responsibilities in the work experience section? I remember Mr. Gascoyne from Shearman & Sterling indicating the latter but what's the general take on the matter? Thanks in advance! 😀
    On a CV bullet points, on an application form (where you often cannot format the paragraph/free text box), then a paragraph format.

Reactions: starman, Rob93 and AvniD

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Hi everyone!

I am sad to say that I have just departed from TCLA to focus on a range of new commitments for the upcoming year. I had a wonderful time working with @Jaysen and the rest of the team and it was very rewarding to be able to give back to the forums, which were of unparalleled help to me during my own application process.

I have left you all with three 'master posts' for the 2022-2023 application cycle. These will be updated over the coming weeks and I hope you find them useful! You will be able to find them all going forward at the link in my signature :)

Law Firm Application Deadlines 2022-2023
    Rolling/Non-Rolling 2022-2023
    Where firms recruit from (Vacation Scheme vs Direct TC applications) 2022-2023

Thank you for being a great community!
    Absolutely brilliant parting gift, James. Thanks for all you've done for the community, and best of luck in your new endeavours (not that you need it)!

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    I have heard anecdotally that A&O likes people with significant experience to apply direct but nothing from grad rec substantiating that.
    Hi Rob, thanks for your input here. I was reading this and it made me curious - what exactly do you mean by "significant" experience?

Last edited:

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Hey, does anyone know if you can apply to Sidley Austin as a graduate? Their website does not mention eligibility for VS, and was curious whether anyone has asked grad rec before or has experience of getting to interview as a graduate.

Harrison.jm

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 25, 2022
    Hi everyone,

I see a lot of application questions that are two connected questions e.g Why would you like to attend this event in our London office? What would you like to gain from it?

Is the strategy here to divide the question into two or so paragraphs, with each paragraph responding to a particular question? Or, am I free to construct an answer that combines both parts of the question into two paragraphs? I.e I would like to attend because X, this would gain me Y and so on and so forth.

Many thanks,

Harrison

rayemuse

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 23, 2022
    Hi guys, last year I applied to a few firms and got through the application stage but failed at interview. I want to reapply for those firms again, do my answers to their questions in the application have to be very different from last year? Like will grad rec check my previous app? Because for some questions like why the firm I have some main reasons but I already used them last year.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Hey, does anyone know if you can apply to Sidley Austin as a graduate? Their website does not mention eligibility for VS, and was curious whether anyone has asked grad rec before or has experience of getting to interview as a graduate.
    You can apply to Sidley as a graduate.

Reactions: Dwight

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Hi Rob, thanks for your input here. I was reading this and it made me curious - what exactly do you mean by "significant" experience?
    Good question - as mentioned this is something I've just heard anecdotally so I'm hardly an authority on what the threshold would be. With that caveat, I would hazard that significant experience would be anything sufficient to give you a strong understanding of what the job entails. This could be full time paralegal or project assistant work or repeat vacation scheme exposure, or possibly even full time work in adjacent industries. Mileage may vary.

There's no hard and fast rule I'm aware of, but for myself at least I would draw the line at the point where I felt I could confidently and convincingly demonstrate my commitment to the profession and an understanding of the job.

Reactions: Dwight

Raynz

Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 19, 2022
    Hi guys, last year I applied to a few firms and got through the application stage but failed at interview. I want to reapply for those firms again, do my answers to their questions in the application have to be very different from last year? Like will grad rec check my previous app? Because for some questions like why the firm I have some main reasons but I already used them last year.
    I think this is a 'six of one, half dozen of another' situation. Personally, I would use the content of your previous answer but make a conscious effort to adapt it to yourself now. You may be surprised at how many tweaks you can make after a year!
    It also pays to search these types of questions on the forum. No doubt others have faced very similar situations. For example when I did a quick search, I found this: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ion-thread-2021-22-1.4197/page-282#post-94974

All the best!

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    They don't have to be all substantially different, but I still think an application can always be refined, especially with the knowledge of skills you have gained since your last application.

Graduate recruitment are unlikely to look at your other application in most instances - they will typically make a decision without doing so, and it may only be in marginal decisions that they look to see what has developed since last year. However, in those instances, if the application feels very similar, then there could be an argument for "why would this person be successful this time around if they weren't last time". However, your application may have changed in other ways outside of your application answers, so this doesn't necessarily mean that you application answers have to significantly change.

Livjharrison

Dec 10, 2021
    Hi everyone,
    I hope you're all well!
    I'm working on an app at the moment and one question asks for applicants to: Describe what you think it takes to be a successful commercial lawyer.
    I may well be overthinking this, but would you think this is referring to both skills and attributes, or rather only one of these?
    "What it takes" reads to me as though they're looking for answers relating to personal qualities such as determination, resilience etc. rather than answers such as 'you need strong communication skills', for example.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks in advance!
    Olivia

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Hi everyone,
    I hope you're all well!
    I'm working on an app at the moment and one question asks for applicants to: Describe what you think it takes to be a successful commercial lawyer.
    I may well be overthinking this, but would you think this is referring to both skills and attributes, or rather only one of these?
    "What it takes" reads to me as though they're looking for answers relating to personal qualities such as determination, resilience etc. rather than answers such as 'you need strong communication skills', for example.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks in advance!
    Olivia
    I think it's open ended enough to do either/both of these. Important thing is to make sure you explain (succinctly) why the attribute or skill is integral to succeeding in the role.

Reactions: Livjharrison

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Hi All! Can someone please explain the following: "They [private equity companies] load the company with a lot of debt in order to extract dividends from the business". Thanks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.