Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
after you submit the a&o app, there is an option to 'add files' - should we add our cv and cover letter here?
There won't be any need to add a cover letter or CV if there are application questions and you have had to provide your academic details/work experience.

wolfwoman

Star Member
Aug 1, 2022
Hi everyone! I had a question - As an international applicant in their final year of law school, for firms that recruit both from Vac Schemes and Direct TC Apps - would it be advisable to take the Direct TC route or undergo the Vac Scheme?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone! I had a question - As an international applicant in their final year of law school, for firms that recruit both from Vac Schemes and Direct TC Apps - would it be advisable to take the Direct TC route or undergo the Vac Scheme?
Are you studying at a U.K. or non-U.K. university?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How come law firms always ask if you have been unsuccessful in a previous application?
Because with GDPR they may no longer hold the previous application, and if they have reapplication policies it’s an easy way the check whether you are eligible or not.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi everyone,
I hope you're all well!
I'm working on an app at the moment and one question asks for applicants to: Describe what you think it takes to be a successful commercial lawyer.
I may well be overthinking this, but would you think this is referring to both skills and attributes, or rather only one of these?
"What it takes" reads to me as though they're looking for answers relating to personal qualities such as determination, resilience etc. rather than answers such as 'you need strong communication skills', for example.
Thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
Olivia
You could include both skills and attributes for sure but you are right in leaning more towards attributes. I'd think about what success means for a commercial lawyer and go from there. For example, if you achieve a client's goals for their deal/project/matter, then that reflects your success as well, which means that a client focus must be crucial for a commercial lawyer to be successful. Thinking this way and framing your answers accordingly could help you craft a really strong answer.

Reactions: Rob93

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
Dec 7, 2020
On the Travers Smith application form, as well as being asked to write a cover letter, candidates are asked the following questions:

1. Please give details of your main extra-curricular activities and leisure interests
2. Please give details of any positions of responsibility and achievements or awards at school, university or elsewhere

No word count is given. How much do you think would be a sensible amount to write for each question (for instance, would 250 words be okay)?

applicationqs

May 11, 2022
I’m sure this has already been answered previously, but I’m starting a new paralegal role ( step up from my current role ) in two weeks. I would like to include it on my winter vac scheme apps, but I’m worried about waiting the two/three weeks until I start my new role to submit some of the application if they are on a rolling basis. Any advice please on this would be much appreciated!

lolamcd1

Esteemed Member
Feb 1, 2022
I am trying to write an answer to the Mishcon question: "What role can lawyers play in influencing society?". Was wondering if anyone could help me as am stumped by what the word 'influencing' means or is trying to point towards in this question?

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
I’m sure this has already been answered previously, but I’m starting a new paralegal role ( step up from my current role ) in two weeks. I would like to include it on my winter vac scheme apps, but I’m worried about waiting the two/three weeks until I start my new role to submit some of the application if they are on a rolling basis. Any advice please on this would be much appreciated!
If you are waiting to literally start the role before you hit submit I'm not sure how this can improve your application, with any new role it takes a few weeks to actually get started and be able to articulate what it is you do and put how that is helpful on an application.

I would put it in now and put the future start date and give an overview of what your responsibilities are due to be from the job description.

Interested to hear others view on this though.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
You can explain you are starting a new role on your application - it’s the type of thing to put in any “extra information” section of an application form has one, or if a CV based application, you can just put it as a header entry with no really description of what you have done.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am trying to write an answer to the Mishcon question: "What role can lawyers play in influencing society?". Was wondering if anyone could help me as am stumped by what the word 'influencing' means or is trying to point towards in this question?
I think you could replace influence with “shape” or “impact” and the question still works.

Ultimately to me this is asking - how can lawyers positively contribute to society?

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    I agree with Jess re the term influencing. I'd also say that Mishcon does a lot of unique work and had worked on some huge cases including the Gina Miller Prorogation of Parliament and the BBC Equal Pay case for Carrie Gracie so it can be said that they've done a lot of societally impactful work :)

born&raised

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 30, 2021
    You could include both skills and attributes for sure but you are right in leaning more towards attributes. I'd think about what success means for a commercial lawyer and go from there. For example, if you achieve a client's goals for their deal/project/matter, then that reflects your success as well, which means that a client focus must be crucial for a commercial lawyer to be successful. Thinking this way and framing your answers accordingly could help you craft a really strong answer.

Sorry if this is a stupid doubt, but what exactly is the difference between skills and attributes? Apart from the literal meaning, how can one reflect the two differently in an answer? 🙈

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Sorry if this is a stupid doubt, but what exactly is the difference between skills and attributes? Apart from the literal meaning, how can one reflect the two differently in an answer? 🙈
    An attribute to me is an innate quality in your character - eg determination, self-drive, collaborative, creative. While a skill is something you have developed with experience - eg time management, technical skills, leadership.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    An attribute to me is an innate quality in your character - eg determination, self-drive, collaborative, creative. While a skill is something you have developed with experience - eg time management, technical skills, leadership.
    Generally agree with this but would propose that attributes can also develop over time and through experience, often incidentally to related skills (e.g. the quality of 'collaborative' can grow alongside good communication skills, leadership and the like).

Reactions: AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Generally agree with this but would propose that attributes can also develop over time and through experience, often incidentally to related skills (e.g. the quality of 'collaborative' can grow alongside good communication skills, leadership and the like).
    Of course, most things develop with time and experience. I guess it's more that attributes are the things you are more naturally gifted with or have a tendency to gravitate towards, while skills are things you acquire. Naturally, they can cross over as your attributes will lead to certain skills over others.

Reactions: AvniD and Rob93
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.