Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
does this question apply if you have done the GDL?
If you studied / are studying law, do you have a minimum of 2.1 in your contract and tort modules? If you only have a 2.1 or higher in one. please answer no. *
I would assume so - obviously, the GDL doesn't work on the same grading basis, but I would assume they mean 60% or above in these modules.

Out of interest, which firm is asking this question?

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
Dec 7, 2020
Hi guys,

I have a few questions about the Travers Smith application form - as ever, if anyone's got any ideas, I'd be massively grateful:

1. Given that candidates are expected to type a cover letter into a text box on the application form (rather than, for example, attaching it as a stand-alone document), does this mean that I should refrain from including my name in the cover letter?
2. Should I include my (and Travers Smith's) addresses in the cover letter?
3. In the question titled "Please give details of any positions of responsibility and achievements or awards at school, university or elsewhere", should I include the years in which I occupied the positions of responsibility in question?

@Jessica Booker

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi guys,

I have a few questions about the Travers Smith application form - as ever, if anyone's got any ideas, I'd be massively grateful:

1. Given that candidates are expected to type a cover letter into a text box on the application form (rather than, for example, attaching it as a stand-alone document), does this mean that I should refrain from including my name in the cover letter?
3. In the question titled "Please give details of any positions of responsibility and achievements or awards at school, university or elsewhere", should I include the years in which I occupied the positions of responsibility in question?

@Jessica Booker
1. You can include it in the end as you sign-off.
2. You definitely could do this, thought I have seen some people leave it off as well. This is generally the structure I'd use if I was looking to be as formal as possible.
3. Yes, this will help contextualise your positions of responsibility/achievements!

Reactions: pfoapplicant

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Norton rose. Thank you! Do you think this is a way to eliminate people?
Not necessary eliminate - it could just be to help categorise people though. You could ask the firm to check why they ask this though - very legitimate question to ask graduate recruitment at a law fair or online webinar.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys,

@Jessica Booker
1) I’d include my name as part of the sign off for the cover letter section

2) There is no need to do this where it is not an attachment and is effectively just a free text box

3) Yes - I would include years you did these activities to ensure it is clear what you did and when.

Reactions: pfoapplicant

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
In terms of business strategy, does anyone know how to research the business strategies of firms, eg. slaughter and may vs macfarlanes vs travers smith. What kind of points/ bases should we be looking to cover. Is it things like how many countries they have offices in, sectors they operate in and how big each team is at each firm? Because a lot of these seem to overlap for all the large commercial firms.
I think broadly that's the right direction - but note while there is a lot of overlap, any given firm will likely only have total overlap with one or two others, if that. And get granular. Slaughters and Travers, which you mentioned, are both famous for limited geographical scope and M&A - but their limited overseas footprints are very different. Likewise they do very different M&A - travers well known for mid market PE, Slaughters for big ticket public work.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Adrian_S

N99

Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 4, 2022
Has anyone else been invited to HSF test? Is it automatic? Has anyone completed it?
Hi, I have applied and got the test like two days later. I have completed it but haven't heard if I have hit the benchmark or not.

In the past, after passing the test I would receive a feedback report or an email stating I have passed and that my application is being reviewed. Not sure why that has not happened this time. If anyone has an idea, please do let me know.

UnTCSilVousPlait

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 4, 2021
    These are two of the questions that I need to answer for a vacation scheme application:

1. Please give details of any prizes, scholarships, positions of responsibility and any other noteworthy achievements that will support your application. (250 words)
    2. Please give details of any interests/hobbies you have outside of university/work. (250 words)

The first question is pretty common on multiple vacation scheme forms. I usually take the approach of detailing the activity/achievement and what I learnt/developed from it (tailoring it to the firm with skills like teamwork, problem-solving, time management etc.). Should I take a similar approach for the second question as well? Or is a more informal approach better?

I would love to have any insight on this!

tkwillbealawyer

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Feb 21, 2022
    Hey guys, I'm trying to fill out my Linklaters WVS form, and I'm struggling with the 14-16 and 16-18 studies bit because I went to a school outside the UK. I put the nation of study as 'other,' but I'm forced to leave the school name blank because it's a drop down with options and my school isn't on there. It lets me fill the grades in but when I save and come back the grades are all gone. Did anyone in the same position ever figure out what to do?

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
    Dec 7, 2020
    Hi all,

With application forms such as Travers Smith's, where candidates are asked to write a cover letter into a text box, should applicants write an introductory sentence before the main body of text, saying where they're studying, what year they're in, and what scheme they're applying for? Or would this be superfluous?

Also, if an applicant has previously completed a vac scheme with another firm, would it be preferable for that applicant to select that other firm (or someone working there) as their employment reference (as opposed to someone who, for instance, hired the candidate for non-VS voluntary work)?

@Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all,

With application forms such as Travers Smith's, where candidates are asked to write a cover letter into a text box, should applicants write an introductory sentence before the main body of text, saying where they're studying, what year they're in, and what scheme they're applying for? Or would this be superfluous?

Also, if an applicant has previously completed a vac scheme with another firm, would it be preferable for that applicant to select that other firm (or someone working there) as their employment reference (as opposed to someone who, for instance, hired the candidate for non-VS voluntary work)?

@Jessica Booker
    I generally don't think this is needed as this information is generally elsewhere in your application - lots of people do use these intros though and its not a problem to do so.

References really don't matter in all honesty - I wouldn't worry to much about who you choose. Just be mindful that for law firms it is very rare they will allow lawyers to give personal references. It usually has to go through HR and then it is just a confirmation of your job title and employment dates rather than any "character" reference details.

missingtwiggies

Aug 3, 2022
    Hey all, would appreciate help on this Q.

I'm applying for both the Mishcon Open Day (Nov) and their Spring Vac Scheme. I know they review apps on a rolling basis, but was wondering whether it would be worthwhile to (if I'm successful with the Open Day app) only apply for the VS after attending the Open Day - given that this would strengthen my application? Or would it be "too late" to apply by then?

Thanks in advance!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.