TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Caroline1999

Does anyone know if firms look down on people who didn’t manage to convert a VS to a TC?

Or does anyone have any success stories of those who didn’t secure a TC from a VS but later secured a TC at another firm?

Would be much appreciated thank you!

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
Does anyone know if firms look down on people who didn’t manage to convert a VS to a TC?

Or does anyone have any success stories of those who didn’t secure a TC from a VS but later secured a TC at another firm?

Would be much appreciated thank you!
I can do one better than not converting and then securing at another firm. I know someone who didn’t convert a VS one year then the next cycle got a direct TC from the same firm.

Not converting happens. Getting a VS isn’t a guarantee of a TC in the same way that not converting doesn’t meant you’ll never get a TC.

I’m sure there’s things you learnt in the VS that will make you a better candidate this cycle and it’s just a case of finding the right firm.

Reactions: ellwilsen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Reactions: Adrian_S

LegalC

Star Member
Aug 23, 2022
surely we will hear from trowers tomorrow if they’re sticking to a september ac?
I wonder if it’s a case of they’ve invited some applicants to do the ‘first set’ of ACs, and if they don’t like any of the ones they’ve invited, they then invite another set of applicants to do an AC, hence why you’ve not received any response yet. @Jessica Booker is this something that firms do?

• Wow
Reactions: AnxiousApplicant

NaimK

Valued Member
May 6, 2019
Freshfields post-AC PFO - I think the analytical interview did me in

Anyway, this is the end of the cycle for me. I have finally managed to secure a TC in my third proper application cycle, so overall it has been a success.

I wanna thank everyone on TCLA that has helped contribute to my success. Many of the members here, particularly staff, are extremely helpful. In all honesty, a big part of what took my apps to the next level was getting them checked by professionals. Using the TCLA app review service definitely paid off and I knew I had to take those kinda steps to make me a more attractive candidate.

I went from never getting past a WG test in my previous cycles to attending 3 ACs and multiple 2nd and 3rd stages.

To everyone still in application purgatory, keep your heads up. Have a real think of why things might be going wrong in your apps and take steps to improve them - this could mean building up your CV, improving your writing answers, practicing more WG tests, preparing for a greater range of possible interview Qs etc. Don't be afraid to seek help, and if anyone ever wants advice from me, please feel free to PM.

Special thanks to @Jessica Booker for her help in reviewing my applications and giving me general application advice throughout the last two cycles.

Jedward87

Star Member
Feb 23, 2021
I wonder if it’s a case of they’ve invited some applicants to do the ‘first set’ of ACs, and if they don’t like any of the ones they’ve invited, they then invite another set of applicants to do an AC, hence why you’ve not received any response yet. @Jessica Booker is this something that firms do?
I haven’t seen anyone in London get an AC offer here or in real life as I know a good few applicants in this cycle from the evening/ open day, and I know the London team changed their manager. I imagine this has completely caused chaos internally as another team member had to step into that management role while still needing the work to be done in their original role - which could explain a delay, esp considering they extended the deadline in any case. I think it’s just delayed vs them hosting a first stage Hunger Games style AC.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yes, that’s something some firms do on occasions that they need to.

LegalC

Star Member
Aug 23, 2022
I haven’t seen anyone in London get an AC offer here or in real life as I know a good few applicants in this cycle from the evening/ open day, and I know the London team changed their manager. I imagine this has completely caused chaos internally as another team member had to step into that management role while still needing the work to be done in their original role - which could explain a delay, esp considering they extended the deadline in any case. I think it’s just delayed vs them hosting a first stage Hunger Games style AC.
That’s what I saw too so I imagine the handover to whoever’s stepping into that position is causing a lot of delay. Is anyone on this forum still waiting to hear back from the Birmingham office?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.