TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

BM99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 12, 2021
Hi has anyone completed Linklaters' applications? I found it so strange about the questions about the schools we studied for 14-16 and 16-18 exams, seems like the system does not show anything, no matter what I typed for the name of the school. Is that normal for everyone?

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
Dec 7, 2020
I don’t think you need to copy in addresses etc. just have an appropriate start (eg Dear Joe Bloggs) and an appropriate sign off.
Fantastic - so if I'm asked, for instance (as is the case with the Travers Smith application form), to address my cover letter to Germaine VanGeyzel, do you reckon Ms VanGeyzel would suffice? Or do you think it's likelier that candidates would be expected to literally write "Dear Germaine VanGeyzel"

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Fantastic - so if I'm asked, for instance (as is the case with the Travers Smith application form), to address my cover letter to Germaine VanGeyzel, do you reckon Ms VanGeyzel would suffice? Or do you think it's likelier that candidates would be expected to literally write "Dear Germaine VanGeyzel"
I have seen both in successful applications, so I don't think it matters much.

Inquisitive

Star Member
Sep 1, 2022
Having a bit of trouble on my HSF application. I said I was interested in their disputes resolution practice, but I have no mooting experience. The only relevant experience that comes to mind is a virtual tour of the CJEU last year. Is there a way to somehow make this relevant? Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Having a bit of trouble on my HSF application. I said I was interested in their disputes resolution practice, but I have no mooting experience. The only relevant experience that comes to mind is a virtual tour of the CJEU last year. Is there a way to somehow make this relevant? Thanks
You don’t have to be interested in mooting to be interested in litigation. In fact, unless you want to get your advocacy rights, the presenting your arguments part of mooting has very little practical similarities to what litigation lawyers do.

You might have studied modules that are more closely aligned to litigation and enjoyed them. You could have read cases that just interest you. You could enjoy the processes and responsbilities of what a litigation lawyer does more so than what a transactional lawyer does. Try to explain why the topic/processes interest you.

Also, you don’t have to be interested in litigation to apply to HSF - they have plenty of other departments you could have an interest in instead.

Inquisitive

Star Member
Sep 1, 2022
You don’t have to be interested in mooting to be interested in litigation. In fact, unless you want to get your advocacy rights, the presenting your arguments part of mooting has very little practical similarities to what litigation lawyers do.

You might have studied modules that are more closely aligned to litigation and enjoyed them. You could have read cases that just interest you. You could enjoy the processes and responsbilities of what a litigation lawyer does more so than what a transactional lawyer does. Try to explain why the topic/processes interest you.

Also, you don’t have to be interested in litigation to apply to HSF - they have plenty of other departments you could have an interest in instead.
Thank you very much, this was really helpful!

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
I've read that Kirkland & Ellis have, despite advertising a VS, offered candidates a TC following a VS interview (I think the past 3 app cycles). Have they just scrapped their VS or what's happening? Anyone have some insight for what will be happening this cycle.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    The Baker McKenzie application opened today and they have the same application questions as last year. As I passed the application stage last year wanted to ask. For the application question 3 things that are personal to you that make BM different. Can I use the same answer as last application cycle or change it a bit. What are your thoughts on this @Jessica Booker

John Doe 555 333

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 17, 2022
    Hey guys, I have a question related to CV applications: should I include Open days that I have attended (even though I did not attend an open day at the firm that I am sending my CV to)?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    The Baker McKenzie application opened today and they have the same application questions as last year. As I passed the application stage last year wanted to ask. For the application question 3 things that are personal to you that make BM different. Can I use the same answer as last application cycle or change it a bit. What are your thoughts on this @Jessica Booker
    I'd still try to refine it - it is fine if the themes are the same but consider whether you can present it in a slightly different way or whether on a second review you feel you could improve your writing style etc.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey guys, I have a question related to CV applications: should I include Open days that I have attended (even though I did not attend an open day at the firm that I am sending my CV to)?
    Yes, you can include open days on a CV - I would create a section for them rather than including them in your work experience though. You can then include things like Forage/virtual internships, other major careers events/conferences in that section too.

Donuttime

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    May 17, 2021
    What does multi-disciplinary nature of work mean? for example does it mean working with other practice areas? for example the real estate team working with banking team etc?

Parsorandini

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 8, 2021
    I made a stupid mistake :( I wrote my covering letter (within an application) and forgot to sign off (eg yours faithfully and then my name). I wrote everything else fine, I just can’t believe I was so stupid and have now sent off the application. Will this affect my application at all? And should I email grad rec and address it? @Jessica Booker

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.