Allen & Overy app - 2018/19

AS858

Star Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 48
Aug 3, 2018
Hi Jessica,

By Africa, I specifically mean expanding into Africa particularly opening an office.

I speak about three key risks in my first paragraph, and what A&O should do in my second paragraph.

Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
That’s a good point. I suppose if I talk about a specific problem that the technology is trying to solve and link that to the impact that technology could have on the legal sector generally and A&O specifically, I could answer the question without being cliche.

Thanks Jessica. I think I found an interesting angle.

Best wishes,
Syafiq.

Only do this if it comes from a genuine interest, rather than trying to impress

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

By Africa, I specifically mean expanding into Africa particularly opening an office.

I speak about three key risks in my first paragraph, and what A&O should do in my second paragraph.

Thanks

Tread carefully. I saw answers like that 10 years ago.

Having also gone back and looked at the question , you are also not answering it.

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Would you need to talk about how your chosen topic links to A&O? Is this implied? The question doesn't expressly ask you to relate to A&O

Jaysen mentioned above that’s its not compulsory but it’s the main opportunity to link to A&O. There isn’t really anywhere else in the questions to do so.

Personally, I related it to A&O, but you could keep it to law firms generally.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Would you need to talk about how your chosen topic links to A&O? Is this implied? The question doesn't expressly ask you to relate to A&O

The first thing and more important thing is you need to link it back to you. Otherwise you aren’t answering the question.

You don’t need to link it back to A&O although it’s not worthwhile picking a story that couldn’t be linked back to A&O on some level. This is your opportunity to show something YOU are interested in and why you therefore might be interested in the career with that firm.

“Provide an example of a change in the legal sector, which has happened or yet to happen, which interests you and discuss the impact it has had or could have.”

The key parts of the question are highlighted in bold. I wouldn’t focus on risks etc, as that doesn’t seem to answer the question.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Jaysen

JHG96

Aug 29, 2019
    Hi all,

I'm struggling to "Describe a recent goal you worked towards and specify in detail how you approached the achievement of that goal, including any lessons learned. (250 word limit)"! Is there a specific type of goal this question wants a description of, or can it be as mundane as, say, handling a complaint at work?

As regards "As the world of law evolves, adaptability is a crucial attribute for future lawyers to have. Describe a time you had to demonstrate adaptability to reach a positive outcome. What role did you play in the scenario and what was the outcome? Did you do anything you would consider innovative as part of the solution. (250 words)", I was considering drawing on a rather charming episode while working with children at a summer camp. Would this be ill-advised, even if it demonstrates the capacity to adapt to, in that case, unusual circumstances?

Thanks,

Josh

Reactions: xelania

xelania

Standard Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Aug 29, 2019
    I'm also curious about the "recent goal" question. Would an academic goal (i.e. do well in dissertation) be alright, or should the focus be on professional goals? I say this because I've never really worked in "professional" environments as such, instead doing manual labour e.g. helping out gardening centres over the summer for extra cash (where I genuinely can't think of any notable goals I worked towards!).

Cheers.

Last edited:

Syafiqkay92

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 26, 2018
    I'm also curious about the "recent goal" question. Would an academic goal (i.e. do well in dissertation) be alright, or should the focus be on professional goals? I say this because I've never really worked in "professional" environments as such, instead doing manual labour at e.g. helping out gardening centres over the summer for extra cash (where I genuinely can't think of any notable goals I worked towards!).

Cheers.

I think it can be anything as long as it answers the question and highlights the competency that A&O is looking for.

I have been advised to not go overboard with the answer and simply answer the question.

My approach is this. First, I make a list of the specific competency that A&O is looking for. Secondly, I think about what I have done in the past and freely write my thoughts using this prompt "My goal is ..." Thirdly, I re-write the answer taking into consideration the competency and answering the questions directly.

I don't know if this helps but I think it does not matter what the actual content is. I think the goal is to see whether the candidate has the competency they are looking for.

If I were you, I would brainstorm a few ideas, write freely on those ideas and choose the best one and explain specifically according to the question that is asked.

Best wishes,
    Syafiq.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all,

I'm struggling to "Describe a recent goal you worked towards and specify in detail how you approached the achievement of that goal, including any lessons learned. (250 word limit)"! Is there a specific type of goal this question wants a description of, or can it be as mundane as, say, handling a complaint at work?

As regards "As the world of law evolves, adaptability is a crucial attribute for future lawyers to have. Describe a time you had to demonstrate adaptability to reach a positive outcome. What role did you play in the scenario and what was the outcome? Did you do anything you would consider innovative as part of the solution. (250 words)", I was considering drawing on a rather charming episode while working with children at a summer camp. Would this be ill-advised, even if it demonstrates the capacity to adapt to, in that case, unusual circumstances?

Thanks,

Josh

Is dealing with a complaint a personal goal of yours?

For me and this type of question, I’d try to show something that:

- required persistence over a period of time
    - challenge
    - is unique (ie don’t use I got a 1st in my degree)
    - is outside of your comfort zone
    - wasn’t necessary an obligation, something you chose to do

Summer camp example will be fine if it shows adaptability, a positive outcome, your clear roles and responsibilities, and innovation.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I'm also curious about the "recent goal" question. Would an academic goal (i.e. do well in dissertation) be alright, or should the focus be on professional goals? I say this because I've never really worked in "professional" environments as such, instead doing manual labour e.g. helping out gardening centres over the summer for extra cash (where I genuinely can't think of any notable goals I worked towards!).

Cheers.

I’d advise against academic goals.

It can be a personal goal. It doesn’t have to be a professional one

xelania

Standard Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Aug 29, 2019
    Thank you both for your answers! Another thing I was wandering is whether the 30 day limit to fill out the application is the absolute deadline, or whether passing the deadline simply means you have to fill out the application form again from scratch (which shouldn't be an issue). When you log on to the site you seem to be able to start the application again alongside the saved, half complete application which implies the latter is true, but I'm not sure... I ask because I went on holiday for two weeks of those 30 days thinking that I'd do some over that period, but of course that didn't work out and I've found myself running out of time slightly.

Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you both for your answers! Another thing I was wandering is whether the 30 day limit to fill out the application is the absolute deadline, or whether passing the deadline simply means you have to fill out the application form again from scratch (which shouldn't be an issue). When you log on to the site you seem to be able to start the application again alongside the saved, half complete application which implies the latter is true, but I'm not sure... I ask because I went on holiday for two weeks of those 30 days thinking that I'd do some over that period, but of course that didn't work out and I've found myself running out of time slightly.

Thanks.

Think it’s an absolute deadline.

You’d probably have to register under another email address rather than restart your application

I could be wrong though

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018

Thanks.
    I called grad rec with a couple of queries and this was one of them - you just need to make a fresh application on their system, it is not an issue :)

• ℹ️

camjames

Standard Member
    Jan 13, 2019
    I was just wondering if someone could offer their opinion on the "change in the legal sector" question;

I'm currently writing an answer based on the UK's proposals (August 2018) for a new restructuring plan which facilitates a cross-class cram down and a moratorium etc etc.

Could this be regarded as a "change", or am I looking at the question too narrowly?

Thanks everyone!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I was just wondering if someone could offer their opinion on the "change in the legal sector" question;

I'm currently writing an answer based on the UK's proposals (August 2018) for a new restructuring plan which facilitates a cross-class cram down and a moratorium etc etc.

Could this be regarded as a "change", or am I looking at the question too narrowly?

Thanks everyone!

Yes, it’s a change if the proposals are still due to happen.

Just make sure you dejargon your answer (I had to google what you meant) and put it in your own words - the A&O story was the first thing that came up when I copied your words, so I think this is very much their language you are using.

Plus you need to explain why that particular story is of interest to you.

camjames

Standard Member
    Jan 13, 2019
    Yes, it’s a change if the proposals are still due to happen.

Just make sure you dejargon your answer (I had to google what you meant) and put it in your own words - the A&O story was the first thing that came up when I copied your words, so I think this is very much their language you are using.

Plus you need to explain why that particular story is of interest to you.
    Thank you so much Jessica, you're honestly a life saver!

Mahika

Mar 20, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

What do you think about relating the goal question to yoga? In the beginning of the year, I set the goal for myself of attending regular classes (at least twice a week) every morning before going into work. The ultimate goal was to improve my overall health, become stronger, etc.

Thanks!!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.