How to write a client memo

Eamon

Star Member
Jul 2, 2019
Alot of people are having/going to have assessment centres. Whilst it's not really possible to prepare for the written exercises, it seems a lot of them involve writing a client memo.

I was wondering what is the best way to structure a client memo? I'm still slightly confused as to what the purpose of a memo is! If any trainees/vac schemers have done any, think their opinions could be really useful!
Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

I've had a search and it doesn't seem as if this has been discussed before! Apologies if it has!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Alot of people are having/going to have assessment centres. Whilst it's not really possible to prepare for the written exercises, it seems a lot of them involve writing a client memo.

I was wondering what is the best way to structure a client memo? I'm still slightly confused as to what the purpose of a memo is! If any trainees/vac schemers have done any, think their opinions could be really useful!

I've had a search and it doesn't seem as if this has been discussed before! Apologies if it has!

Conciseness and structure
Clarify any ambiguous elements or what the clients might not know/or understand
Focus on advice/actions

Reactions: Eamon

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Don't worry about this for an AC, but just for reference - a law firm's template memo might begin something like this:

Screenshot 2019-09-07 at 22.14.42.png

(Copied from here: https://info.legalsolutions.thomsonreuters.com/pdf/perspec/1999-fall/1999-fall-11.pdf).

If it's a report/a summary of some legal research, you might want to ask yourself: What is the purpose of this memo? What is the best way to lay out the information (e.g. clear subheadings/a summary of your findings at the beginning)?

• 🏆
    Reactions: Syafiqkay92 and Eamon

AJ

Legendary Member
    Sep 11, 2018

From experience the structure is key, especially if you are then asked to present on the memo. It will be easier to use as a presentation tool if you have structured it well, and the headings act as a guide to your presentation.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.