Hogan Lovells question

Osh

Distinguished Member
Nov 18, 2018
"We set out standards high and we trust our people to hold themselves accountable for meeting other people’s expectations. Describe a time when you had to drop everything and really ‘raise your game’ in order to keep a promise you had made to someone else. How did you manage both this and your other commitments?"

This is a very specific question, how would you go about answering it if you don't really have a suitable example that answers all points of the question?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
You really have no suitable answers from your extra curricular activities, part time work or work experience ?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Not really in response to having to commit to a 'promise'. If anything the question somewhat suggests you were unable to manage your commitments if you suddenly had to drop everything

I think you are probably taking that too literally. When have you said you would do something/commit to something would be sufficient here - you didn’t have to “promise” someone.

It’s not insinuating you dropped everything else, it’s just insinuating you managed you managed your time effectively.

Reactions: George Maxwell

AgentNilPois

Star Member
May 19, 2019
You really have no suitable answers from your extra curricular activities, part time work or work experience ?

I have to admit Jessica this question got me and I can’t really think of any proper examples except in work, when last minute matters occur/last minute instructions are given. Had a situation recently of having only 10 minutes to prepare/serve notice on a matter, it literally required dropping everything and breaking a sweat to run to the printer, fax and back to get in. However, I don’t see how the firm would be interest in that answer as that’s part of my role as a fee earner.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have to admit Jessica this question got me and I can’t really think of any proper examples except in work, when last minute matters occur/last minute instructions are given. Had a situation recently of having only 10 minutes to prepare/serve notice on a matter, it literally required dropping everything and breaking a sweat to run to the printer, fax and back to get in. However, I don’t see how the firm would be interest in that answer as that’s part of my role as a fee earner.

I agree, I don’t think that is a good enough answer as it’s 10 minutes of commitment with what sounds like basic admin tasks so doesn’t sound like raising your game.

If I asked you the question when have you had to work your backside off to ensure something was done to a high level, what would you answer?

AgentNilPois

Star Member
May 19, 2019
I agree, I don’t think that is a good enough answer as it’s 10 minutes of commitment with what sounds like basic admin tasks so doesn’t sound like raising your game.

If I asked you the question when have you had to work your backside off to ensure something was done to a high level, what would you answer?

If I'm honest I really can't think of anything recent. The last time can think of a real workable example was when I set aside time to coach a recent graduate, assist with CV and cover letter drafting, as well as answering questions about obtaining Paralegal work. But still not sure if this sort of example really demonstrates "raising my game".

But standout examples were all when I was at university nearly 5 years ago.

The Hogan Lovells questions really have me stumped, and I'm unsure as to whether I should be using any of the limited word count to relate answers back to the firm's values and practice areas.

Often when I get stumped at this stage I will just move on to another application because I feel like I'm wasting time.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If I'm honest I really can't think of anything recent. The last time can think of a real workable example was when I set aside time to coach a recent graduate, assist with CV and cover letter drafting, as well as answering questions about obtaining Paralegal work. But still not sure if this sort of example really demonstrates "raising my game".

But standout examples were all when I was at university nearly 5 years ago.

The Hogan Lovells questions really have me stumped, and I'm unsure as to whether I should be using any of the limited word count to relate answers back to the firm's values and practice areas.

Often when I get stumped at this stage I will just move on to another application because I feel like I'm wasting time.

I suspect you are over thinking it in seeking what you think should be a perfect answer rather than a sufficient one.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I think you're right, how best would you approach the question?

I’d think about times I’ve had conflicting deadlines, when I have said I would do something for someone despite being under those time pressures, and when I managed to deliver something to a high standard.

I would then write a list down.

If this was shortly after graduating, I could use examples from my time working in hospitality, I could use examples from volunteering, I could use examples from working as a temp. I could use really the example where I was responsible for finding accommodation for not just one group of friends at uni, but two. I could talk about the time I did a charity fundraiser.

I’d then think about which one of those examples tested me the most or which one I learnt the most from, it was most proud of (or a combination of those). I would then use that

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Btw - there is a massive contradiction in this question. It talks about dropping everything and then asks how you balanced it with other commitments. To me this suggests not literally “dropping everything” just having in the short term having to reprioritise things, but longer term balance it with other things

AgentNilPois

Star Member
May 19, 2019
I’d think about times I’ve had conflicting deadlines, when I have said I would do something for someone despite being under those time pressures, and when I managed to deliver something to a high standard.

I would then write a list down.

If this was shortly after graduating, I could use examples from my time working in hospitality, I could use examples from volunteering, I could use examples from working as a temp. I could use really the example where I was responsible for finding accommodation for not just one group of friends at uni, but two. I could talk about the time I did a charity fundraiser.

I’d then think about which one of those examples tested me the most or which one I learnt the most from, it was most proud of (or a combination of those). I would then use that

Thanks Jessica, I know the question isn't asking for it, but should I attempt to link back my experience to the firm in any way or should I literally just be answering the question as it states

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks Jessica, I know the question isn't asking for it, but should I attempt to link back my experience to the firm in any way or should I literally just be answering the question as it states

How are you trying to link it back to the firm?

AgentNilPois

Star Member
May 19, 2019
How are you trying to link it back to the firm?

I haven’t come about to it yet. So far I’ve put together a few notes about a mentoring scheme I’m involved in in coaching students, I intend to discuss my experiences in relation to managing time but also making a commitment to someone else as I am coaching undergrads/managing this amongst work/hobbies/etc.

I think I’m going at it the write way by doing it that but of course we come any suggestions.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I haven’t come about to it yet. So far I’ve put together a few notes about a mentoring scheme I’m involved in in coaching students, I intend to discuss my experiences in relation to managing time but also making a commitment to someone else as I am coaching undergrads/managing this amongst work/hobbies/etc.

I think I’m going at it the write way by doing it that but of course we come any suggestions.

I don’t think you need to link something like this back to the firm

PSM

Esteemed Member
Aug 9, 2019
Has anybody got any advice on answering this part of the Hogan Lovells application form?

"Please detail below any further information that you would like us to consider when reviewing your application in the light of the many others we receive? What makes you stand out from the crowd? (250 WORDS)"

I do not want to repeat information contained in the work experience section or details answering the other 3 questions. I am finding it difficult framing my USP's as unique as other candidates may also have those.

Should I focus on EC's and any extra skills (language + tech skills)?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Has anybody got any advice on answering this part of the Hogan Lovells application form?

"Please detail below any further information that you would like us to consider when reviewing your application in the light of the many others we receive? What makes you stand out from the crowd? (250 WORDS)"

I do not want to repeat information contained in the work experience section or details answering the other 3 questions. I am finding it difficult framing my USP's as unique as other candidates may also have those.

Should I focus on EC's and any extra skills (language + tech skills)?

You're right that you don't want to just repeat any sections. For this question, really evaluate all of your experiences and don't be modest in the way you pitch it (too many candidates are).

ECs/tech and language skills sound like a good place to start, but rather than simply stating them, try to really drill down into why it makes you stand out from the crowd.

For example, some candidates:

- Began working as soon as they could and have consistently balanced a job with studies
    - Have overcome challenging personal obstacles which has shaped who they are today
    - Have spent several years as a paralegal and therefore have developed really transferable skills (and have a far better understanding of how law firms work)
    - Have spent a year travelling to different countries, which has taught them how to adjust to new cultures and communicate to people from a variety of backgrounds
    - Have spent several years dedicated to a personal hobby (like painting or photography)

Note, these are just examples and the activities don't have to be exceptional, they just have to be well-pitched.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.