Aspiring Solicitors - Commercial Awareness Competition 2019/2020.

Aminata

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 27, 2018
    Hi everyone,

Is anyone here taking part in the competition this year?

Thought we could share commercial awareness tips and tricks before it starts if people wanted to!

Hi, I am taking part in the competition for the first time this year. I’m looking forward to using it as a means to really improve my commercial awareness! I love the idea behind this thread!

Reactions: KLaw125

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hi, I am taking part in the competition for the first time this year. I’m looking forward to using it as a means to really improve my commercial awareness! I love the idea behind this thread!

Great!

What I’m currently doing is reading FT articles daily to keep on top of news.

Over the next few weeks I plan to try get my head around economic and political terms/theories which I think can also be tested.

Aminata

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 27, 2018
    Great!

Over the next few weeks I plan to try get my head around economic and political terms/theories which I think can also be tested.

Ok, I’ve been doing the same to try to keep on top of the news.

Oh I see, I’ll have to do that also! What does the AS CAC tend to consist of?

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Ok, I’ve been doing the same to try to keep on top of the news.

Oh I see, I’ll have to do that also! What does the AS CAC tend to consist of?

This is my first year as well, but from reading the FAQ I can see it mentions political and economic as suggestions for areas to research!

Reactions: KLaw125 and Aminata

KLaw125

Junior Lawyer
    Aug 21, 2018
    Great!

Hi everyone, I am not entering the Aspiring Solicitors Commercial Awareness Competition this year, but I was top 25 finalist last year. Great Idea for reading FT articles daily, definitely got into the habit of this for months helped make understanding business and political issues more clearly.

For general advice on learning terms, I would highly recommend The Finimize glossary for extensive list of financial terms. Additionally, The Christopher Stoakes Commercial Awareness book is a great read to gain a detailed overview of key financial markets and terms.

My best advice for the competition overall is get a group of friends participating together, to work on building commercial awareness - I worked with 3 other students to write notes, news summaries and discussed topics together. This made going into presentations during the Semi/Grand Final more easier process because we encouraged each other to learn from one another.

Feel free to ask any further questions, happy to help! Good luck everyone! :D

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hi everyone, I am not entering the Aspiring Solicitors Commercial Awareness Competition this year, but I was top 25 finalist last year. Great Idea for reading FT articles daily, definitely got into the habit of this for months helped make understanding business and political issues more clearly.

For general advice on learning terms, I would highly recommend The Finimize glossary for extensive list of financial terms. Additionally, The Christopher Stoakes Commercial Awareness book is a great read to gain a detailed overview of key financial markets and terms.

My best advice for the competition overall is get a group of friends participating together, to work on building commercial awareness - I worked with 3 other students to write notes, news summaries and discussed topics together. This made going into presentations during the Semi/Grand Final more easier process because we encouraged each other to learn from one another.

Feel free to ask any further questions, happy to help! Good luck everyone! :D

Thank you for this! I’ve just bought Christopher Stoakes book on the city. Have you read this and if so is it equally useful for financial terms? I haven’t had chance to look over it.

KLaw125

Junior Lawyer
    Aug 21, 2018
    Thank you for this! I’ve just bought Christopher Stoakes book on the city. Have you read this and if so is it equally useful for financial terms? I haven’t had chance to look over it.

My pleasure happy to help!

Yes, I have read it Christopher Stoakes book, incredibly insightful read that provides a quality overview of financial terms and how the overall city works. It is worth reading as from personal experience from all the rounds competition, the questions involved are more than definitions at times. During multiple choice rounds and even the presentations in Semi Finals, understanding “how” things work and applying this to commercial issues became the focus of assessment.

So read it gradually, make a summary of the info for yourself (because not everything is essential) and use it as guide for reading further articles in the news :)

George

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 31, 2018
    Hi everyone.

I'm also participating again this year! The FT is definitely essential as in some of the later rounds they select some articles from the paper in order for participants to analyse them. I'd also suggest podcasts like Wake Up To Money and the Economist's The Intelligence. City AM and Watson's Daily (which are free!) are also a great sources to keep updated on current news stories.

I'd second the above suggestion that talking through these issues with friends is a great way to get your head around whats going on. Jaysen's commercial classes were also a big help last year. I'd be happy to help anyone else who is doing the competition! Good luck!

D95

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 17, 2019
    Hi guys!

I am participating this year, too :)

As a graduate I do not have that much contact with other peers currently, so would anybody be interested in setting up a separate forum/group/Skype for those of us who would like to chat over commercial issues together?

If so, let me know!

Reactions: Lully and Lumree

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hi guys!

I am participating this year, too :)

As a graduate I do not have that much contact with other peers currently, so would anybody be interested in setting up a separate forum/group/Skype for those of us who would like to chat over commercial issues together?

If so, let me know!

Sounds great! We could set up a conversation on here first to gauge how many and then move to skype/WhatsApp if people are happy with that?

Reactions: Alla, Jaysen and D95

Shaz

Distinguished Member
    Sep 29, 2019
    I am participating again this year! I would definitely be interested in joining a Whatsapp/Skype group. My strategy last year (as a student) was to get The Economist 12 weeks free subscription and that was really helpful in accessing some useful articles to get your head around commercial concepts.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    If you guys need any pointers on the commercial stuff, I'm quite happy to join the group. Equally, feel free to keep it between yourselves if preferred!

Reactions: Lully

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hi everyone,

I’ll make a private conversation on here tonight where I will give my number to contact. I will then start a group on WhatsApp. Does that sound good with everyone?

If you would like to join, please like this message so I can add you!

And @Jaysen you're more than welcome to join, I’m sure people would find your insight more than helpful!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.