Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
so they were in every year pretty much. They were in modules that are not really relevant to the law firms (like Criminal law and Jurisprudence) and they were all 58 or 59% other than Juris which was 56%. The majority of my grades are 2.1s and I also have four 1st.

In terms of my application, I think it is ok... I have quite a few extracurriculars, I did a vac scheme this summer (this was before I had my 3rd-year results) and I make sure I have spoken to the firms so that my application is more personable.

Sounds like there isn’t “a lot” of them then. If you have got 2.1s and 1st and they were marginal 2.2s, I don’t think there is much to be worried about here

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Sounds like there isn’t “a lot” of them then. If you have got 2.1s and 1st and they were marginal 2.2s, I don’t think there is much to be worried about here

Hi Jessica,

I averaged a high 2:2 in my first and second year and averaged a mid 2:1 in my final year,
    finishing with a low 2:1.

I know my grades aren’t the best, but I do have a lot of extra-curriculars and I currently work in a commercial law firm (which in itself is not a major factor - but the work I do includes useful skills needed to be a trainee.)

Could my grades act as a barrier, or is it all relative in relation to other aspects of my application?

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    I think it was to ensure people were joining as career paralegals rather than trying to get their foot in the door and expecting a step up into a TC.

Managing Paralegal’s expectations on TCs is a bit of a minefield - typically because there are so many paralegals and other administrative roles filled by people aiming for a TC (don’t think that means there should be a blanket ban though).
    Thank you for that.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I averaged a high 2:2 in my first and second year and averaged a mid 2:1 in my final year,
    finishing with a low 2:1.

I know my grades aren’t the best, but I do have a lot of extra-curriculars and I currently work in a commercial law firm (which in itself is not a major factor - but the work I do includes useful skills needed to be a trainee.)

Could my grades act as a barrier, or is it all relative in relation to other aspects of my application?

Potentially for firms who really emphasise the need for strong or excellent academics - but there are plenty out there who are looking for far more than academics or who don’t prioritise them

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What are some of examples of these firms?

I don’t keep an eye on individual firms to be able to comment. Just make sure you read their marketing materials carefully and see what they say about their academic requirements.

Language like “excellent”, “consistent”, “outstanding” etc is probably worth while avoiding or at least speaking to the firm before applying

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I was wondering what advice you have on how to answer commercial awareness questions for firms with a strong PE focus? I've had a look at lots of threads but I find it difficult to stand out with my answers for firms with these specific specialities (particularly with what jargon to use!)

I’m literally the worst person to ask about PE - I don’t have to know anything about it when reviewing application, even for firms with a strong focus in it.

Unless you are specifically asked a PE question, I wouldn’t expect you to have to make it clear you know about in on an application form though.

The best applications avoid jargon though.

J32

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Apr 4, 2019
    I’m literally the worst person to ask about PE - I don’t have to know anything about it when reviewing application, even for firms with a strong focus in it.

Unless you are specifically asked a PE question, I wouldn’t expect you to have to make it clear you know about in on an application form though.

The best applications avoid jargon though.

Thank you Jessica! Can anyone else help out on this (Jaysen maybe)?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thank you Jessica! Can anyone else help out on this (Jaysen maybe)?
    I assume you mean Weil/Kirkland's commercial awareness question? If so, you can treat it like any other commercial question: no need to write about PE unless you want to.

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    Hi Jessica,

I was wondering for the work experience section, when the firm asks to "provide details of all work experience, including vacation schemes/internships",
    - Is volunteer work considered as "work experience"?
    - Can I add work experience which is 4-5 years ago?

Thank you so much! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I was wondering for the work experience section, when the firm asks to "provide details of all work experience, including vacation schemes/internships",
    - Is volunteer work considered as "work experience"?
    - Can I add work experience which is 4-5 years ago?

Thank you so much! :)

yes - volunteer work and anything 4-5 years ago is acceptable

Reactions: R203

PSM

Esteemed Member
    Aug 9, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

When answering "why commercial law?" my reasons are backed up by experiences (volunteering and work experience). Does it matter if my answer overlaps slightly with my work experience section?

I am trying not to repeat myself, however, I am finding that experience examples are the best way for me to illustrate how/why I am interested in commercial law.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

When answering "why commercial law?" my reasons are backed up by experiences (volunteering and work experience). Does it matter if my answer overlaps slightly with my work experience section?

I am trying not to repeat myself, however, I am finding that experience examples are the best way for me to illustrate how/why I am interested in commercial law.

The issue here is probably that you are focusing on examples - I don’t think you need to.

I would expect your work experience section to focus more on your responsibilities, achievements and learnings while on the job, while the “why commercial law” to focus on what you enjoyed, what you found challenging etc.

Your why commercial law should also be forward thinking - it needs to cover off why the day job and why the career. The latter shouldn’t be covered in a work experience section.

Last edited:

PSM

Esteemed Member
    Aug 9, 2019
    The issue here is probably that you are focusing on examples - I don’t think you need to.

I would expect your work experience section to focus more on your responsibilities, achievements and learnings whole on the job, while the “why commercial law” to focus on what you enjoyed, what you found challenging etc.

Your why commercial law should also be forward thinking - it needs to cover off why the day job and why the career. The latter shouldn’t be covered in a work experience section.

So for example, I tend to state a reason I am interested in commercial law and then go on to explain a scenario where I have enjoyed doing or experiencing that reason and how it has influenced me, in order to back up my claim.

I understand that the work experience section is more descriptive, whereas when answering this question it is more focused on what I enjoyed and how it has influenced me.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    So for example, I tend to state a reason I am interested in commercial law and then go on to explain a scenario where I have enjoyed doing or experiencing that reason and how it has influenced me, in order to back up my claim.

I understand that the work experience section is more descriptive, whereas when answering this question it is more focused on what I enjoyed and how it has influenced me.

I don’t think you need to explain a scenario in the why commercial law section.

Ella D

Sep 11, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

Norton Rose Fulbright's application form this year consists of a cover letter and also this question:

Please use this section to provide additional information about yourself and/or your experience that is relevant to this application, i.e. extenuating/mitigating circumstances. (100 words max)*

If I do not have any ECs should I still use this space to add to my cover letter? Or would it be enough to put N/A if I feel I have included everything?

Thanks.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.