Least time consuming initial applications?

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
There are some applications like Pinsent Masons that want you to write 4000 characters for each of their four questions. I've seen some others, like DLA Piper, that ask just one 250 word question. Obviously, I know the later stages will be just as time consuming and this shouldn't be a big factor in choosing a firm but I am interested which other firms you have found to have shorter applications?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Some of the shorter apps:
    • Bird & Bird
    • HSF
    • Hogan Lovells
    • Jones Day
    • Shearman
    • Weil
    That doesn't take into account the difficulty of the questions though e.g. quite a few people struggle with HSF's topic and Shearman's competitive advantage question.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jessica Booker

J Wu

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Other 'shorter' apps: (though shorter is very subjective here)
    • Simmons (positions of responsibility - 250 words)
    • Mayer Brown (500 word CL + extra-curriculars)
    • Skadden (CL, positions of responsibility and hobbies - 250 words each)
    • Linklaters (no application questions this year - just details, grades, work exp and then a series of tests)
    • Milbank (CL & CV)

D95

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 17, 2019
    Based on the last cycle, I would also add:

- Russell Cooke (why RC + why commercial law; 300 words each)
    - Faegre Baker Daniels (why FBD + hobbies; 250 words each)
    - Weightmans (commercial awaraness question; 500 words)
    - Norton Rose Fulbright (cover letter; 750 words max)

AgentNilPois

Star Member
    May 19, 2019
    You mentioned 4000 words for Pinsents, is this respectively for each question or the overall total. Seems pretty unreasonable to expect candidates to write 4000 words for every app question, can’t imagine HR find that much fun reading them either if they are that long

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    You mentioned 4000 words for Pinsents, is this respectively for each question or the overall total. Seems pretty unreasonable to expect candidates to write 4000 words for every app question, can’t imagine HR find that much fun reading them either if they are that long
    4000 characters which is about 650 words each. Not ridiculous but still long.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.