Travers Smith Cover Letter

jamescw1994

Sep 16, 2019
Hi All,

I'm currently typing up my cover letter for Travers Smith's Winter Vac Scheme and it notes:

IMPORTANT: Do not sign the cover letter with your name.

Am I to take this to mean that adding my details (name and address) in the top right and signing off "yours sincerely" then my name are not needed? (Would make sense given how I've already provided that info in the initial details section!)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Sounds like a CV blind recruitment policy. I wouldn’t include name or address.

Although that information is provided elsewhere, your cover letter might be the only part of your application passed on to assessors, and therefore they may want this clean of any personal information (like name) to remove any unconscious bias

• 🏆
Reactions: jamescw1994

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    How are people tackling this? There’s no word limit so it’s hard to know what to aim for.

Would just writing as concisely as possible, but finishing when I feel I’ve covered what I want to, be a good approach?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    How are people tackling this? There’s no word limit so it’s hard to know what to aim for.

Would just writing as concisely as possible, but finishing when I feel I’ve covered what I want to, be a good approach?

no more than a page of content - would aim for a typical cover letter structure though

• 🏆
    Reactions: jamescw1994

nat237

Dec 9, 2019
    Hi All,

I'm currently typing up my cover letter for Travers Smith's Winter Vac Scheme and it notes:

IMPORTANT: Do not sign the cover letter with your name.

Am I to take this to mean that adding my details (name and address) in the top right and signing off "yours sincerely" then my name are not needed? (Would make sense given how I've already provided that info in the initial details section!)

I'm currently applying to their Training contract and I think the "important: do not sign the cover letter with your name" bit has been removed. And thanks @Lumree and @Jessica Booker for the word count suggestion, will stick to a page!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.