Travers Smith questions

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hi everyone,

The TC application for Travers Smith asks for a cover letter, but also these questions:

1.Please give details of your main extra-curricular activities and leisure interests. *

2.Please give details of any positions of responsibility and achievements or awards at school, university or elsewhere *

In my cover letter, I have already covered some of my extra-curricular activities and positions of responsibility as reasons for 'why me.' I have two questions about this:

1. Should I be focussing on my extra-curriculars and responsibility in my cover letter? They are woven in - so they're not purely explanatory. However, I don't want to sound like I am repeating myself in the questions that follow.

2. In response to the two questions Travers are asking, should I just simply explain what I did and what I learnt? Should this be as bullet points for each experience?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone,

The TC application for Travers Smith asks for a cover letter, but also these questions:

1.Please give details of your main extra-curricular activities and leisure interests. *

2.Please give details of any positions of responsibility and achievements or awards at school, university or elsewhere *

In my cover letter, I have already covered some of my extra-curricular activities and positions of responsibility as reasons for 'why me.' I have two questions about this:

1. Should I be focussing on my extra-curriculars and responsibility in my cover letter? They are woven in - so they're not purely explanatory. However, I don't want to sound like I am repeating myself in the questions that follow.

2. In response to the two questions Travers are asking, should I just simply explain what I did and what I learnt? Should this be as bullet points for each experience?

Thanks!

I’d adapt your cover letter so it removes any repetition given in other sections.

Focus on what you achieved rather than what you did. It doesn’t need to be bullet points, but probably not an issue if it is.

Romiras

Legendary Member
    Associate
    Apr 3, 2019
    Hi everyone,

Thanks!

For my own (successful) application, I had the cover letter "Why Me" Section set out in a summarised-esque format and I focused on commentary discussing how I could add value to the firm by pulling upon a range of things that may not normally fit into the two above questions. For example, you could talk more about your degree and things that would not fit into either question. If I had already covered an experience in detail in my cover letter, I would not repeat it in the question section, unless there was something substantial to add to it.

Therefore Re Question 1, don't particularly 'focus' in the sense of being detailed.

Re Question 2, I would avoid using bullet points and I would flesh out each point (but keep it concise) so that it is implicit as to how it is relevant to your career, etc.

Reactions: dilaraozp and DMMW

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    For my own (successful) application, I had the cover letter "Why Me" Section set out in a summarised-esque format and I focused on commentary discussing how I could add value to the firm by pulling upon a range of things that may not normally fit into the two above questions. For example, you could talk more about your degree and things that would not fit into either question. If I had already covered an experience in detail in my cover letter, I would not repeat it in the question section, unless there was something substantial to add to it.

Therefore Re Question 1, don't particularly 'focus' in the sense of being detailed.

Re Question 2, I would avoid using bullet points and I would flesh out each point (but keep it concise) so that it is implicit as to how it is relevant to your career, etc.

Brilliant, thank you so much for this!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.