Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
hi - i know this is quite late, but i was wondering if anyone knows how argumentative/opinionated we should be on the topic question. I spoke to a grad recruiter at HSF who said 'not very', but I don't know if that means 'just a little bit', or 'not at all'. thank you :)

Opinionated and argumentative are two very different things.

Opinionated is fine as long as there is something to back up the opinion.

An application is definitely not the place to come across as argumentative though

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Opinionated and argumentative are two very different things.

Opinionated is fine as long as there is something to back up the opinion.

An application is definitely not the place to come across as argumentative though
I totally agree, I’d say it’s good to have an opinion and if you’re passionate about something I’d assume you can’t not really have an opinion? That’s just my view though :) I think just try to focus less on what you should and shouldn’t do and just let yourself write, then look to edit and refine and worry about these things after

Reactions: Jaysen

Giovanni Figa

Oct 1, 2019
Adding my two cents here. I think the key thing is not the topic you choose but how you use it to demonstrate the skills they are looking for.

You could talk about travel but link it to how it has given you an international mindset.

You could talk about sports but link it to how you set up a training programme for your friends.

You could talk about nutrition but reference how you read the latest research and distilled the key points into a summary you shared with your friends on Facebook.

Hope this helps and good luck!

G

Ricky

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 16, 2018
I applied in early October and got an email that id passed the test and my application was being reviewed on the 10th.

I submitted my written app on the 8/10 and then received passed benchmark/being reviewed email on 10/10 and then again on the 14/10, strange. Should hopefully find out any day now!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.