Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Firms do not operate on a % pass mark for SJTs and WG, VRTs and the like.

They work on percentiles.

Percentiles mean absolutely zilch to a candidate, so it’s often not worthwhile detailing what the benchmark will be. The percentile doesn’t mean anything unless you know the norm group you are being assessed against.

However, in today’s processes, it’s benchmarks can be set part way through the recruitment process. The norm group could easily be other applicants, but you need to wait for a significant number of people to complete the assessment to have enough data to have a reliable norm group. Some organisations will also have a “hold” group where a range of percentiles are held. So first cut off might be high (say 60th percentile) but they hold those with a percentile score of 45-59 while they work out whether they have a strong enough pipeline, and whether the assessment doesn’t have any adverse impact against certain groups of applicants.

TLDR - what the pass mark is is often completely irrelevant to you as an individual candidate, so don’t worry about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaysen and Alice G

PSM

Esteemed Member
Aug 9, 2019
I’m pretty confident firms are highly secretive about bench mark passing so I doubt this would be in the public domain (I could be wrong of course) it’s best not to focus and worry on the benchmark though I know it can be useful and reassuring when you do practice tests. Just try your best and make sure you have practiced enough and feel confident with the demands of the questions. :) I know that’s relatively unhelpful so I apologise but you can only do your best and don’t put too much pressure on yourself :)

Firms do not operate on a % pass mark for SJTs and WG, VRTs and the like.

They work on percentiles.

Percentiles mean absolutely zilch to a candidate, so it’s often not worthwhile detailing what the benchmark will be. The percentile doesn’t mean anything unless you know the norm group you are being assessed against.

However, in today’s processes, it’s benchmarks can be set part way through the recruitment process. The norm group could easily be other applicants, but you need to wait for a significant number of people to complete the assessment to have enough data to have a reliable norm group. Some organisations will also have a “hold” group where a range of percentiles are held. So first cut off might be high (say 60th percentile) but they hold those with a percentile score of 45-59 while they work out whether they have a strong enough pipeline, and whether the assessment doesn’t have any adverse impact against certain groups of applicants.

TLDR - what the pass mark is is often completely irrelevant to you as an individual candidate, so don’t worry about it.

Thank you both, useful to know. Focused on just doing well but was a litte curious as to how it works.

Reactions: Alice G

L.M.P

Star Member
Jan 24, 2019
Hey guys! I interviewed at Jones day about a month ago now for the winter vac scheme and still haven’t heard anything ? Im assuming this is bad news for me. I was just wondering if anyone has ever had any good news after this long with no response or has anyone been completely ignored after interview (ie no rejection just no response at all?) thanks !

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Has anyone heard back from HL post WG / been offered an AC? Did mine a few weeks ago and waiting to hear back
Hi! Can I ask, did you get an email to say if you’d passed the benchmark or just nothing at all since doing the test? I just did mine and it’s been my first one this cycle and I’m nervous about how I’ve done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.