Fourth Time’s the Charm?

jamescw1994

Sep 16, 2019
Hi all!

Hope you’re all having a good start to the week.

I thought I’d start one of these threads for my TC journey, having been applying since 2016, as a way of documenting how I’m doing this year compared to previous cycles.

Bit about me, had a rough last few years (a job in admin that didn’t pan out due to health, health interrupting my time at university (and sixth form) and family problems that haven’t done too much good) but I’m keeping on keeping on. Been fortunate to have such a good support network behind me and after a low few months in the middle of the year, decided to get back on the TC applications.

So far, I’ve been successful in getting onto a Taylor Wessing open day after attending a mental health related talk hosted by Legal Cheek and I literally just had my telephone interview with Norton Rose Fulbright (who were absolutely lovely). Not been quite so lucky with Linklaters and Travers Smith but they’re all learning experiences.

Even getting to the phone interview has been a massive achievement for me, as very rarely in the past did I get past the application form. Having read a great many things on this forum, eventually I realised it was my technique in the application forms that let me down: too generic, too much focus on deals and not on WHY they interested me, and thinking that an overly complex answer was good.

I’m hoping to either end this year or start next year on a high; it only takes one!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi all!

Hope you’re all having a good start to the week.

I thought I’d start one of these threads for my TC journey, having been applying since 2016, as a way of documenting how I’m doing this year compared to previous cycles.

Bit about me, had a rough last few years (a job in admin that didn’t pan out due to health, health interrupting my time at university (and sixth form) and family problems that haven’t done too much good) but I’m keeping on keeping on. Been fortunate to have such a good support network behind me and after a low few months in the middle of the year, decided to get back on the TC applications.

So far, I’ve been successful in getting onto a Taylor Wessing open day after attending a mental health related talk hosted by Legal Cheek and I literally just had my telephone interview with Norton Rose Fulbright (who were absolutely lovely). Not been quite so lucky with Linklaters and Travers Smith but they’re all learning experiences.

Even getting to the phone interview has been a massive achievement for me, as very rarely in the past did I get past the application form. Having read a great many things on this forum, eventually I realised it was my technique in the application forms that let me down: too generic, too much focus on deals and not on WHY they interested me, and thinking that an overly complex answer was good.

I’m hoping to either end this year or start next year on a high; it only takes one!

Looking forward to seeing how you get on James!

Reactions: jamescw1994

jamescw1994

Sep 16, 2019
    Thanks for posting! I am sure your resilience will be a strong positive firms can see throughout your application. I just had a quick question - when you say you have been lucky with Travers Smith - have you heard anything back and what for? I haven't had any updates in weeks!

Thanks
    Hey!

Thank you, I really appreciate that.

I actually received a rejection from Travers last Friday! Hopefully your application will get progressed to interview, best of luck with it! :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.