Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ella D

Sep 11, 2019
Just got a Hogan Lovells rejection. Quite sad as my app last year got me to an AC and it wasn't all to dissimilar in style (maybe that is the issue) and my WG score was 76 which is the lowest i have personally gotten but I thought that was still ok! Anyway, feel a bit upset, especially because of the lack of closure, but onwards and upwards. Wishing those of you yet to hear the very best of luck!
Sorry to hear that! I also got to AC with them last year with my app, which was broadly similar just updated this year. I don’t know my WG score but it never has been an issue for me, so maybe they have a tendency not to interview people a second time? I was also quite disappointed as I had built a lot on my feedback from last year but onwards and upwards, its just not meant to be! Best of luck with the rest of your applications

• 🤝
  • 🏆
Reactions: Daniel Boden and Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Sorry to hear that! I also got to AC with them last year with my app, which was broadly similar just updated this year. I don’t know my WG score but it never has been an issue for me, so maybe they have a tendency not to interview people a second time? I was also quite disappointed as I had built a lot on my feedback from last year but onwards and upwards, its just not meant to be! Best of luck with the rest of your applications
Oh wow that’s actually so reassuring to hear that we are in the same boat but I’m so sorry that you too didn’t manage to reassess this year. I really can’t get my head around it but if they do have a system which flags the two apps then mine was definitely quite similar and I can appreciate this would be good reason not to invite to an AC.
I just asked for my report as I had a bad feeling about it. Like I say, I’m not 100% overjoyed as I tend to do a bit better but I’m surprised if 76 is really not deemed to be an ok score. You could perhaps ask for your report as I did if you think it might help and bring some closure? :)

Ella D

Sep 11, 2019
Oh wow that’s actually so reassuring to hear that we are in the same boat but I’m so sorry that you too didn’t manage to reassess this year. I really can’t get my head around it but if they do have a system which flags the two apps then mine was definitely quite similar and I can appreciate this would be good reason not to invite to an AC.
I just asked for my report as I had a bad feeling about it. Like I say, I’m not 100% overjoyed as I tend to do a bit better but I’m surprised if 76 is really not deemed to be an ok score. You could perhaps ask for your report as I did if you think it might help and bring some closure? :)
Yeah I did find it quite difficult to change my app too much as the questions were identical, and I figured what I wrote last year must have worked... How did you find out your WG score? I definitely will email them and ask as it would be good to know whether it was my WG score or app that I fell down on!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Yeah I did find it quite difficult to change my app too much as the questions were identical, and I figured what I wrote last year must have worked... How did you find out your WG score? I definitely will email them and ask as it would be good to know whether it was my WG score or app that I fell down on!
Yeah! They’re so situational that three of my answers last year I felt we’re still the best examples I could give so I changed the team working and collaboration question. I think I ought to have changed at least three though maybe. I’m speculating of course and it could
Just be it wasn’t strong enough this time round but it just seems a shame.
I emailed them to ask for my report and just said that it was my first test of the cycle and really would like to see where I can focus for improvement going forwards. They should get it to you soon hopefully :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just got a Hogan Lovells rejection. Quite sad as my app last year got me to an AC and it wasn't all to dissimilar in style (maybe that is the issue) and my WG score was 76 which is the lowest i have personally gotten but I thought that was still ok! Anyway, feel a bit upset, especially because of the lack of closure, but onwards and upwards. Wishing those of you yet to hear the very best of luck!

The 76th percentile could easily be the highest score you have achieved. Percentiles are not identical across firms, as they could be assessing you against different norm groups.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
The 76th percentile could easily be the highest score you have achieved. Percentiles are not identical across firms, as they could be assessing you against different norm groups.
Ah ok thank you @Jessica Booker i just find it all hard to get my head round and it’s so hard to see how you’ve done or performed. I didn’t think it was a bad score but I didn’t feel like I’d done my best. Thank you for being so kind and shedding light on the interpretation of the scores- it’s so hard to gauge

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Actually @Jessica Booker on this topic, with the WG there are 5 sections to the test. However, in the report, there are three areas of assessment: drawing conclusions, evaluating arguments and recognising assumptions. Do you have any insight into where those 5 categories slot in? Naturally arguments are just the arguments section of the test and assumptions are in the assumptions section, but where do inferences, interpretation of info and deductions slot in? I appreciate you may not know this but would be good to have an idea if you do :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Ah ok thank you @Jessica Booker i just find it all hard to get my head round and it’s so hard to see how you’ve done or performed. I didn’t think it was a bad score but I didn’t feel like I’d done my best. Thank you for being so kind and shedding light on the interpretation of the scores- it’s so hard to gauge

I know it isn’t really helpful as it’s difficult to do so, but it’s why I say don’t get caught up on scores once a test is complete, and try not to allow it affect how you may approach future applications.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Actually @Jessica Booker on this topic, with the WG there are 5 sections to the test. However, in the report, there are three areas of assessment: drawing conclusions, evaluating arguments and recognising assumptions. Do you have any insight into where those 5 categories slot in? Naturally arguments are just the arguments section of the test and assumptions are in the assumptions section, but where do inferences, interpretation of info and deductions slot in? I appreciate you may not know this but would be good to have an idea if you do :)

It won’t be as regimented as that. All five categories could easily be assessed across all three sections. How firms weight the importance of the five categories could easily be quite varied too.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I know it isn’t really helpful as it’s difficult to do so, but it’s why I say don’t get caught up on scores once a test is complete, and try not to allow it affect how you may approach future applications.
It won’t be as regimented as that. All five categories could easily be assessed across all three sections. How firms weight the importance of the five categories could easily be quite varied too.

Ahh I see - I supposed that they might all fall into categories but I can see there could be crossovers. Thank you Jessica and trying to just put it behind me now ad keep going. i will try to keep practicing and reading my critical thinking prep book and hope to just do me best next time.

Castelli99

Esteemed Member
May 12, 2019
I was wondering if it is convention for most firms to release watson glaser results when e-mailed to do so? Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I was wondering if it is convention for most firms to release watson glaser results when e-mailed to do so? Thanks

not necessarily. It’s a real faff/extra workload so can understand why firms don’t, especially when a percentile means very little to the individual applicant.

but there is no issues with a candidate requesting that information. You are technically (and legally) allowed to access that information (and any other information the firm holds on you).

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi! I had never done so before so I cannot be sure. Clifford Chance send one to you I think automatically but other firms don't tend to. Jessica pointed out yesterday they may not even have reports to send but I just sent a polite email asking that if they had one if they would kindly send it. I think it can help to see where improvements can be made so I am glad i sent a request.

Castelli99

Esteemed Member
May 12, 2019
not necessarily. It’s a real faff/extra workload so can understand why firms don’t, especially when a percentile means very little to the individual applicant.

but there is no issues with a candidate requesting that information. You are technically (and legally) allowed to access that information (and any other information the firm holds on you).

Thanks - that all makes sense. I have a few applications which i have done the WG test for where I know i get moved to the next stage (either VI/AC) if i passed the WG test - while i don't know what the benchmark is i assume it may be worthwhile asking because if I got a very high score i can then start preparing?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks - that all makes sense. I have a few applications which i have done the WG test for where I know i get moved to the next stage (either VI/AC) if i passed the WG test - while i don't know what the benchmark is i assume it may be worthwhile asking because if I got a very high score i can then start preparing?

Personally, I’d just wait to hear the outcome. A high score does not necessarily mean success. Neither does a low score mean you’ve been unsuccessful.

Castelli99

Esteemed Member
May 12, 2019
Personally, I’d just wait to hear the outcome. A high score does not necessarily mean success. Neither does a low score mean you’ve been unsuccessful.
Hi! I had never done so before so I cannot be sure. Clifford Chance send one to you I think automatically but other firms don't tend to. Jessica pointed out yesterday they may not even have reports to send but I just sent a polite email asking that if they had one if they would kindly send it. I think it can help to see where improvements can be made so I am glad i sent a request.

Thanks, all makes sense! Literally just got my invite for Bird & Bird VI so i don't need to ask them happily!

Reactions: Abstruser and Plum

Serah O

Star Member
Nov 28, 2018
I’m sorry to hear that. I too got a rejection from them this morning. May I ask how you found out your WG test scores?

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I’m sorry to hear that. I too got a rejection from them this morning. May I ask how you found out your WG test scores?
I’m really so sorry to hear that. I just asked them as soon as I did my test- I suspected I had a bad day and I was feeling so anxious it was stopping me focussing on my AC prep so I asked for peace of mind but if you think it would help you for closure I’d just ask them politely If you can access your report. As Jessica said, it is our data and we are allowed to request it.

Reactions: Serah O

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Getting a lot of questions about norm groups.

Basically don’t worry about them. You are worrying about the wrong things if this, percentiles and raw scores are what you are fixating on.

To explain:

raw score - how many questions you get right (eg 18 out of 20)

norm group: who you are being benchmarked against. This could be your fellow applicants, it could be last year’s applicants, it could be a 1000s of people who have applied to a similar job to you across different companies.

It’s never as crude as this, but to explain. You do a WG assessment and get 5 out of 10 as a raw score. You are benchmarked against a norm group of toddlers, you’ll probably get a very high percentile. You are benchmarked against high performing qualified lawyers, and you will probably get a low percentile, even though the assessment is the same.

percentile: this is your ranking if you lined up everyone in the norm group in performance order. Those with the 99th percentile will be the strongest performers, those with the 1st percentile are the bottom performing against the norm group.

You could get 8 out of 10 as a raw score and still be lower than the 10th percentile. You could get 2 out of 10 and still be above the 90th percentile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.