Commercial Awareness Tips

Tamoor Javed Barlas

Oct 29, 2018
Hi guys,

In preparation for interviews, what topics should I concentrate on in terms of commercial awareness?

I know Brexit and the US-China Trade War is a good start but what else should I be looking out for?

Many thanks!!

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
Hi @Jaysen!

I was wondering, with regards to case studies and methods of financing, in which scenarios would companies prefer to pay higher interest rates, as opposed to obtaining secured debt?

Hey, I'm not completely sure but I think this would depend on the borrower's finances and their goals first. Higher interest rates are applied to short term loans and to loans that aren't that high. This is never an ideal situation for companies but they might also have to agree to it if they're deemed to be a risk by the bank so the high rates compensate for the risk the lender is taking. The company should be comfortable that they'll be able to pay this back. The company might also not have an asset worth acting as a collateral or they don't want to risk losing them.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey, I'm not completely sure but I think this would depend on the borrower's finances and their goals first. Higher interest rates are applied to short term loans and to loans that aren't that high. This is never an ideal situation for companies but they might also have to agree to it if they're deemed to be a risk by the bank so the high rates compensate for the risk the lender is taking. The company should be comfortable that they'll be able to pay this back. The company might also not have an asset worth acting as a collateral or they don't want to risk losing them.

I can't say I'm too clued up on this in practice, but ^ is how I'd answer this in theory. If you're in that position, many would much rather pay a higher interest rate than risk losing possession of an asset if things go wrong (especially if the bank is pushing for something substantial).

Last edited:
    Reactions: IntrepidL

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Might also add tech valuations and WeWork's troubles to this list. I haven't heard WeWork come up yet, but I could see it being a great topic to ask in interviews. The decline of high street firms has also come up in the past.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.