A98

Star Member
Jun 17, 2019
Hi, I applied and did the interview about three weeks ago. They told me that they'd get back to me sometime in the beginning of Nov. Also, they posted a picture on LinkedIn the other day and it said that they'll be getting back to people over the next few weeks. So hopefully we'll hear back next week!

FutureCity

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
Hi, I applied and did the interview about three weeks ago. They told me that they'd get back to me sometime in the beginning of Nov. Also, they posted a picture on LinkedIn the other day and it said that they'll be getting back to people over the next few weeks. So hopefully we'll hear back next week!

When was your interview? Shearman doesn’t recruit on a rolling basis from what I was told. I put in my application in on the 3rd of November. Haven’t heard anything back yet.

A98

Star Member
Jun 17, 2019
Mine was 22 Oct (Tuesday) and I was told that it was their second day of interviews. I think the non-rolling basis means that Shearman responds to applicants after the deadline (so don't fill places up until they've reviewed all applications). I'm not quite sure but fingers crossed you'll hear back early next week!

Last edited:

A98

Star Member
Jun 17, 2019
I'm not entirely sure so I might be wrong :/ From what I understand, they definitely used to do non-rolling for direct TC apps. Seeing how they said that they'll respond over the next few weeks, I don't think they're done interviewing so you'll probably hear soon! Even if winter vacation scheme doesn't work for you, it's highly likely that they'll roll applicants to their spring/summer vac scheme :) Thanks, I hope it all works out for you!

• 🤝
Reactions: Jaysen

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
I'm not entirely sure so I might be wrong :/ From what I understand, they definitely used to do non-rolling for direct TC apps. Seeing how they said that they'll respond over the next few weeks, I don't think they're done interviewing so you'll probably hear soon! Even if winter vacation scheme doesn't work for you, it's highly likely that they'll roll applicants to their spring/summer vac scheme :) Thanks, I hope it all works out for you!
I find this really strange. Did you say you interviewed three weeks ago? It clearly says on their website non-rolling and a response from the Head of Grad Rec to an early application question is the following:

Q. I submitted my application form early and have not heard from you since the receipt email; do I need to reapply?
A. No, we will contact you to let you know if you have been successful once all the applications have been received. It is most likely you will hear from us closer/after the deadline date

Reactions: Abstruser

CA98

Nov 11, 2019
I'm waiting to hear back too
Hi there,

Just had my interview at Shearman today - the grad recruiter said they’d be interviewing until the end of the week - I got an email on the Wednesday of last week with interview slots on Friday and today so definitely don’t lose hope!!! I imagine you’ll hear tomorrow or Wednesday either way - good luck!

FutureCity

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
Hi there,

Just had my interview at Shearman today - the grad recruiter said they’d be interviewing until the end of the week - I got an email on the Wednesday of last week with interview slots on Friday and today so definitely don’t lose hope!!! I imagine you’ll hear tomorrow or Wednesday either way - good luck!

Thank you. Hope your interview went well and you get on the Vacation Scheme!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I appreciate this is worrying a few people, but I suspect @AS98 is right. Hopefully we'll get a clarification from Shearman soon.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Shearman doesn’t recruit on a rolling basis. I spoke directly with Paul from their graduate recruitment team at an event.
    It sounds like they may not offer places until after the deadline, but they may still interview candidates (I assume to spread out the interview process).

I've had a few PMs about this - I don't think people should assume candidates are making up interviews invitations without more proof.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi All,

I've had a confirmation from Paul Gascoyne at Shearman & Sterling:

"To clarify - we don't recruit on a rolling basis. Everyone who applies on or before the deadline will have their application reviewed. We may review applications before the deadline, given the volume of applications we receive, but we don't offer anyone places on our Vacation Scheme until after deadline."

I hope that clears things up. They're still non-rolling and won't give out offers before the deadline, but they may review applications beforehand.

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    Hi All,

I've had a confirmation from Paul Gascoyne at Shearman & Sterling:

"To clarify - we don't recruit on a rolling basis. Everyone who applies on or before the deadline will have their application reviewed. We may review applications before the deadline, given the volume of applications we receive, but we don't offer anyone places on our Vacation Scheme until after deadline."

I hope that clears things up. They're still non-rolling and won't give out offers before the deadline, but they may review applications beforehand.

Interesting - does ‘reviewing applications’ include interviewing before the deadline as well?

I only ask because I was in a similar situation last cycle - there were several TSR members who reported interviewing before the deadline, despite Shearman’s advertised non-rolling position. I too had confirmed directly with Paul at an Open Day but it’s odd that candidates have reported this not in one but two cycles, and on two different forums no less.

Obviously do not mean to alarm anyone but I think it’s important for candidates to be as well-informed as possible when deciding to spend time on an application that is/isn’t rolling!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Interesting - does reviewing applications include interviewing before the deadline as well? I only ask because I was in a similar situation last cycle - there were several TSR members who reported interviewing before the deadline, despite Shearman’s advertised non-rolling position. I too had confirmed directly with Paul at an Open Day but it’s odd that candidates have reported this not in one but two cycles.

Yeah I take it to mean they may interview before the deadline but they won't give out vacation scheme places. A few non-rolling firms do this - they don't 'recruit' on a rolling basis, but they may interview candidates beforehand due to the volume of applications.

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    Yeah I take it to mean they may interview before the deadline but they won't give out vacation scheme places. A few firms do this - they don't 'recruit' on a rolling basis, but they may interview candidates beforehand due to the volume of applications.

I see, thank you for clarifying. Sounds similar to Linklaters’ position last year - they’ve since removed their description of non-rolling. I’ll leave this information on the rolling basis thread for completeness.

Reactions: Jaysen

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Yeah I take it to mean they may interview before the deadline but they won't give out vacation scheme places. A few non-rolling firms do this - they don't 'recruit' on a rolling basis, but they may interview candidates beforehand due to the volume of applications.
    Thank you for clarifying

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.