Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 16, 2018
I'm still waiting too, interviewed last week on Thursday for a direct TC September 2020. Someone even asked them when we would hear back and they emphasised "because we are so efficient it would look bad if we didn't respond quickly, so will definitely be next week"!

Fingers crossed for today!

I emailed them on Friday and they said they were meeting then and early this week to decide on the outcome of the interviews. So shouldn't be too long now. They said we should definitely hear by end of this week.

• ℹ️
Reactions: arcnor

Anaani

Oct 5, 2019
NRF AC invite for this Thursday! Has anyone else had an AC with them and is able to offer any insights?

Hi, I had it last year. AC is of a pretty standard form - a written exercise followed by an interview with two partners and a group exercise. I found the written exercise easier than at other ACs. The interview was truly enjoyable - the interviewers came into the room with my application form all highlighted and asked me very personal questions related to what I wrote in the application. I didn't enjoy the group exercise too much due to its odd and long format.

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
Jun 12, 2019
Hi,
Just checked and it was just under two weeks :)
Thank you! It’s crazy how I’ve been waiting since the 22/10/2019 and all for a possible rejection haha. I only applied for 2 places for winter and one of them already rejected me. But even if this is a rejection, I guess I will try again really hard for Easter & summer(other firms).

Ella D

Sep 11, 2019
Hi, I had it last year. AC is of a pretty standard form - a written exercise followed by an interview with two partners and a group exercise. I found the written exercise easier than at other ACs. The interview was truly enjoyable - the interviewers came into the room with my application form all highlighted and asked me very personal questions related to what I wrote in the application. I didn't enjoy the group exercise too much due to its odd and long format.
Thank you that is so helpful!!! I will PM you

Reactions: Pallatablelawyer

L.M.P

Star Member
Jan 24, 2019
Thank you! It’s crazy how I’ve been waiting since the 22/10/2019 and all for a possible rejection haha. I only applied for 2 places for winter and one of them already rejected me. But even if this is a rejection, I guess I will try again really hard for Easter & summer(other firms).

Same! I haven't heard from them since the first week of October !

Ayah

Star Member
Sep 19, 2019
I’d also be very grateful to receive any tips for the Simmons and Simmons video interview, particularly whether there is any commercial awareness required since the email doesn’t mention it but I don’t want to be caught out

Plum

Star Member
Oct 30, 2019
I’d also be very grateful to receive any tips for the Simmons and Simmons video interview, particularly whether there is any commercial awareness required since the email doesn’t mention it but I don’t want to be caught out
I did it last cycle and there was a bit about a business you like/why

• ℹ️
Reactions: Ayah

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Just had a HSF rejection. I’m so devastated by it because I honestly hand on heart felt they might be the right firm for me. I found the assessment centre very challenging and I can’t say I enjoyed the day and so I did expect this outcome. I’m just feeling quite down and demotivated by it all, if I could just know the end result then maybe I could see this all as being worth it. Just going to give myself a break today and try to re-strategise and think about what to do next.

J Wu

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 11, 2018
Just had a HSF rejection. I’m so devastated by it because I honestly hand on heart felt they might be the right firm for me. I found the assessment centre very challenging and I can’t say I enjoyed the day and so I did expect this outcome. I’m just feeling quite down and demotivated by it all, if I could just know the end result then maybe I could see this all as being worth it. Just going to give myself a break today and try to re-strategise and think about what to do next.

Sorry to hear about the rejection, Alice. Every AC is a learning experience and although it is a shame you didn't get HSF, you will be better placed for the future moving forward. I think take some time for yourself today and then get back at it when you are ready; I have 100% faith that you will receive some good news soon enough!

• 🤝
Reactions: Daniel Boden and Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Sorry to hear about the rejection, Alice. Every AC is a learning experience and although it is a shame you didn't get HSF, you will be better placed for the future moving forward. I think take some time for yourself today and then get back at it when you are ready; I have 100% faith that you will receive some good news soon enough!
Thank you! I think that after last year’s setbacks I was able to move forwards because I felt I was being given a second chance to try for firms I hadn’t got over the line with that year but I’m just increasingly panicking and worrying that I’m just not good enough and that I’m not necessarily cut out for this.
Really appreciate your kind words, they’re just what I need today it means a lot :)

Samar

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Sep 28, 2019

Oh Alice, I'm so sorry to hear this. I was hoping they saw differently to the experience you had. Definitely have a day off today and reflect on great things that you've done e.g. the fact you're taking proactive steps like public speaking says a lot about you and creating opportunities for yourself!

• 🤝
Reactions: Daniel Boden and Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Oh Alice, I'm so sorry to hear this. I was hoping they saw differently to the experience you had. Definitely have a day off today and reflect on great things that you've done e.g. the fact you're taking proactive steps like public speaking says a lot about you and creating opportunities for yourself!
Thank you so much I honestly really prepared so hard but feel I didn’t do myself justice. It goes back to this whole thing being about luck and I just didn’t have luck on my side this time round :( thank you for being so kind and lovely it really does help my to feel better :)

Camilla

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    Thank you so much I honestly really prepared so hard but feel I didn’t do myself justice. It goes back to this whole thing being about luck and I just didn’t have luck on my side this time round :( thank you for being so kind and lovely it really does help my to feel better :)

Sorry to hear this. :(

Have a listen to the 'Sweat Equity' podcast episode, I always listen to this when I need a boost!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.