Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayah

Star Member
Sep 19, 2019
Just had a HSF rejection. I’m so devastated by it because I honestly hand on heart felt they might be the right firm for me. I found the assessment centre very challenging and I can’t say I enjoyed the day and so I did expect this outcome. I’m just feeling quite down and demotivated by it all, if I could just know the end result then maybe I could see this all as being worth it. Just going to give myself a break today and try to re-strategise and think about what to do next.

Really sorry to hear this Alice. You’re one of the most helpful contributors and so knowledgeable, you're most definitely cut out for this and deserve the very best of the best. The whole forum is rooting for you

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
Just had a HSF rejection. I’m so devastated by it because I honestly hand on heart felt they might be the right firm for me. I found the assessment centre very challenging and I can’t say I enjoyed the day and so I did expect this outcome. I’m just feeling quite down and demotivated by it all, if I could just know the end result then maybe I could see this all as being worth it. Just going to give myself a break today and try to re-strategise and think about what to do next.
So sorry to hear, sometimes it's just a numbers game and you only lose when you give up - so make sure to keep at it and I have no doubt you will get the job you want!

• 🤝
Reactions: Helena and Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Really sorry to hear this Alice. You’re one of the most helpful contributors and so knowledgeable, you're most definitely cut out for this and deserve the very best of the best. The whole forum is rooting for you
Thank you Ayah! I don’t think I could’ve been more prepared so I think sadly luck played a role in it and I also just didn’t perform to my best. I really need to remember not to let my nerves or feelings of self doubt to get the better of me and it can be so much easier said than done!

Thank you so much for such an incredibly kind and lovely message- the support network we have on here is exceptional and I’m really feeling much better and more positive already. Thank you to you all for being so wonderful and kind!

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
I am so sorry to read this Alice and I know how taxing the AC is at HSF. Rejection is always tough and understandably the knock fuels your negative feelings. Remember you were good enough to be selected for the AC and that in itself is a huge hurdle. It is of little consolation today, I know and I truly feel your pain. It is hard to keep upbeat and yet I know you will make it. There is so much luck involved in this process, connecting with your interviewer, establishing that 'rapport', getting everything to go your way. So many variables. Don't give up. We are all behind you and you ARE good enough.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I am so sorry to read this Alice and I know how taxing the AC is at HSF. Rejection is always tough and understandably the knock fuels your negative feelings. Remember you were good enough to be selected for the AC and that in itself is a huge hurdle. It is of little consolation today, I know and I truly feel your pain. It is hard to keep upbeat and yet I know you will make it. There is so much luck involved in this process, connecting with your interviewer, establishing that 'rapport', getting everything to go your way. So many variables. Don't give up. We are all behind you and you ARE good enough.
Thank you Helena and you’re so right about the luck and rapport. I was saying to Jaysen that with my Latham VS assessment centre I really struck gold with my interviewers and sadly this time I didn’t have quite the same rapport I would have liked. It’s such an emotional rollercoaster and I really hate feeling this way and so pessimistic. I’m getting a feedback report on Friday apparently so will probably take stock of that and maybe write up a technical AC dos and don’ts post to help others going forwards. I know I could’ve been better and I suppose that in itself is half the battle :)

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
I ju
I just had the AC too and it was definitely very challenging, as echoed by everyone I met today so you shouldn’t be too down on yourself! At least experiencing challenging experiences can really give you opportunities to reflect and improve. Although, having said that, I might have a little cry once I get home haha

Reactions: Daniel Boden and Alice G

Shaz

Distinguished Member
Sep 29, 2019
I'm really sorry to hear this Alice, I know how hard you've been working towards that AC. The fact that you're still putting in the hours of work and have reached the AC stage is a testament to your skill and in due course, I'm sure you will find a perfect fit with a firm that will truly appreciate you and your skill set!

Reactions: Daniel Boden and Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I ju

I just had the AC too and it was definitely very challenging, as echoed by everyone I met today so you shouldn’t be too down on yourself! At least experiencing challenging experiences can really give you opportunities to reflect and improve. Although, having said that, I might have a little cry once I get home haha

ahaha that made me laugh! I felt so drained I didn’t have the capacity to even cry about it :D it is really so hard and actually the person who seemed to find it the hardest on my particular day actually got it (and I couldn’t be happier for them as they were absolutely lovely) so you just can’t ever tell. Really not sure what it was they were looking for though I know I could’ve done better in my case study and was really annoyed I hadn’t done better with that. I’m wishing you the best and it’s a very quick turnaround so at least you won’t be waiting too long to hear back. Have my fingers crossed for you!!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I'm really sorry to hear this Alice, I know how hard you've been working towards that AC. The fact that you're still putting in the hours of work and have reached the AC stage is a testament to your skill and in due course, I'm sure you will find a perfect fit with a firm that will truly appreciate you and your skill set!
Thank you Sharaf! I guess it’s prep that I can take forwards with me so all is not lost but you’re right- there will be other opportunities I hope and I’m just keeping my fingers crossed that I get some good news at long last soon!
All the best to you with your apps!

Reactions: Shaz

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

I always find it hard to know what to say here because there's no way round it being a really rubbish situation. I remember my rejections well and I know they don't get any easier - if anything, they get worse because you feel you have improved a lot from previous interviews. I think it's great that you felt okay to share the news, because all of us at TCLA are rooting for you - not just when things are going well, but especially when things don't go so well. It's not always easy to put a brave face on and you definitely don't have to all the time!

Having worked with you for a while now, I know that you are a really capable candidate. You have some of the best applications I've read, your commercial awareness is spot on and you really showed the kind of people skills you have at our event on Saturday. I don't want to give any false reassurances, but I really just think it's going to be a case of hanging in there for a bit longer and you will get your offer!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Chido, Salma, D95 and 9 others

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I always find it hard to know what to say here because there's no way round it being a really rubbish situation. I remember my rejections well and I know they don't get any easier - if anything, they get worse because you feel you have improved a lot from previous interviews. I think it's great that you felt okay to share the news, because all of us at TCLA are rooting for you - not just when things are going well, but especially when things don't go so well. It's not always easy to put a brave face on and you definitely don't have to all the time!

Having worked with you for a while now, I know that you are a really capable candidate. You have some of the best applications I've read, your commercial awareness is spot on and you really showed the kind of people skills you have at our event on Saturday. I don't want to give any false reassurances, but I really just think it's going to be a case of hanging in there for a bit longer and you will get your offer!
    Thank you so much Jaysen, you are right about rejections- I feel at this stage things are starting to feel a bit more personal. I think it’s just so sad because you have a shirt space of time to really show who you are and yet on my vacation schemes where I’ve had the time I’ve fallen short for reasons that were hard to control in a way at those times.
    That’s really so lovely of you and thank you for saying those kind things. I’m just hoping that one day soon I can truly show what I’m capable of and what I can hopefully bring to a firm to add value to them :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Chido, wwood and Jaysen

Soliha

Distinguished Member
  • Sep 19, 2018
    It is probably easy to say do not be devastated, but I ask you to keep the motivation. Have faith and believe that it is for a good reason!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    It is probably easy to say do not be devastated, but I ask you to keep the motivation. Have faith and believe that it is for a good reason!
    Thank you Soliha, that’s really lovely of you. I reacted negatively to this knock back but I’m feeling much better now. Sometimes you need to feel a bit rubbish but what’s important is how you bounce back. I’ve got a lot to be grateful for and happy about and I won’t keep getting rejected forever :) :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Soliha

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

Alice, like Jaysen I'm struggling really with what to say in situations like this... we've both faced our setbacks throughout this brutal application process but knowing and having worked with you, I have no doubt it will be good news soon. It really is a question of when and NOT if! Take consolation in the fact that everyone is right behind you and are your biggest supporters. Don't lose heart and don't settle for less than what you deserve - a TC at a top international firm!

I am convinced that by having these experiences and going through these tough ACs, the work will pay off and will help us at interviews/ACs going forwards, just as the sweat equity podcast says, and will be what gets us over the line in the end. You will get there - I have no doubt about that as you are such a good/strong candidate and any firm would be lucky to have you :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Alice, like Jaysen I'm struggling really with what to say in situations like this... we've both faced our setbacks throughout this brutal application process but knowing and having worked with you, I have no doubt it will be good news soon. It really is a question of when and NOT if! Take consolation in the fact that everyone is right behind you and are your biggest supporters. Don't lose heart and don't settle for less than what you deserve - a TC at a top international firm!

I am convinced that by having these experiences and going through these tough ACs, the work will pay off and will help us at interviews/ACs going forwards, just as the sweat equity podcast says, and will be what gets us over the line in the end. You will get there - I have no doubt about that as you are such a good/strong candidate and any firm would be lucky to have you :)
    Thank you so much Dan! The same goes to you as well- you’re right, we’ve had our fair share but I’m sure the reward at the end will feel even better for it!
    That’s really so kind and I think it’s just a real privilege to have people in the forum who understand because I truly feel like if you haven’t been through this yourself it’s so hard to empathise.
    I’m going to keep pushing and I think actually I’m going to think more about what else I can be doing to better my CV as well. I always feel setbacks like this are a good time for evaluation so I am trying to use it as a positive!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.