Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello Jessica,
I have a quick question for you, how would I answer this quick "Why do you want to be a trainee solicitor in a transactional focused firm?"
Thank you

this isn’t a trick question. Focus on the responsibilities you’d have, why you’d like the processes you’d undertake, the subject matters you’d deal with, and why the longer term career route is one for you.

• ℹ️
Reactions: hashneevvora

Ehab

Standard Member
Nov 9, 2019
Hi Jaysen

I am in the process of filling out training contract applications and was wondering how to include work experience in a training contract application. Do I list down my roles and responsibilities or just a brief overview of the skills I have gained during my work experience?

Thanks
Ehab Elsayed

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jaysen

I am in the process of filling out training contract applications and was wondering how to include work experience in a training contract application. Do I list down my roles and responsibilities or just a brief overview of the skills I have gained during my work experience?

Thanks
Ehab Elsayed

focus on the roles and responsibilities. You can reference skills developed as well too, but it’s often the case that these are obvious so don’t need to be explicitly mentioned

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica

Currently completing my application for a Vac Scheme at Clifford Chance.

The only question asked that requests a lengthy reply is
You have told us about your academic achievements and work experience and now, in no more than 600 words, we are keen to hear more about you.
This should include your extra-curricular activities, positions of responsibility and an achievement of importance which you are most proud of.

The achievement of importance I have talked about was an award I received in college for achieving the highest marks in law. As well as this, I spoke about my ability to speak publicly in lectures due to my current employment with Thomson Reuters.
While I am focussing on the general skills I possess, I have nonetheless attributed them in some detail from my employment.

Would you say that this is not answering the question properly and I should disregard anything work/academic related all together?

Thanks
Kieran

You aren’t really answering the question. This is about non academic and non work experience related experiences

Jb1512

Nov 16, 2019
Hi Jessica I have a bit of an odd question and situation.

I applied and successfully got a winter vacation scheme but the process for a VS and TC is the same. I’ve already worked at the firm for 6 months as a paralegal (have now left). I’m having some issues getting two weeks off at my current firm where I’m a paralegal. I can get the time off but it will cause a bit of hassle. How bad would it be to ask to be considered for a direct Tc instead? Given that I already have a VS offer and have spent time at the firm? Thanks

Ehab

Standard Member
Nov 9, 2019
focus on the roles and responsibilities. You can reference skills developed as well too, but it’s often the case that these are obvious so don’t need to be explicitly mentioned

I have listed an example to reflect my experience as a qualified lawyer from another jurisdiction. please let me know what do think.
Thank you.

· Drafting, reviewing and negotiating a broad spectrum of commercial agreements relating to service levels, supply, distribution, insurance, IT, Construction and Islamic finance transactions.

· Managing and mitigating legal risks through designing and implementing policies and procedures.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica I have a bit of an odd question and situation.

I applied and successfully got a winter vacation scheme but the process for a VS and TC is the same. I’ve already worked at the firm for 6 months as a paralegal (have now left). I’m having some issues getting two weeks off at my current firm where I’m a paralegal. I can get the time off but it will cause a bit of hassle. How bad would it be to ask to be considered for a direct Tc instead? Given that I already have a VS offer and have spent time at the firm? Thanks

it won’t be as easy as just transferring your offer over from a VS to TC.

You can ask for your application to be transferred, but I would expect you may have to go through some form on final assessment process, as although the process is the same, the expectations and standards of what you are recruiting will be different for someone coming in for a VS than a TC.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have listed an example to reflect my experience as a qualified lawyer from another jurisdiction. please let me know what do think.
Thank you.

· Drafting, reviewing and negotiating a broad spectrum of commercial agreements relating to service levels, supply, distribution, insurance, IT, Construction and Islamic finance transactions.

· Managing and mitigating legal risks through designing and implementing policies and procedures.

Both entries are fairly broad, but fine as they are

KatieCCM

Star Member
Mar 12, 2019
You aren’t really answering the question. This is about non academic and non work experience related experiences

Hi @Jessica Booker, I am also in the process of doing the CC application and just saw your response above. For my achievement of "most importance", I have used an example relating to my current job (of over 2 years) where I worked on a very intense transaction that I regarded as extremely challenging (I currently work at a city law firm) - would this example be better suited to the work experience section of the form instead? Would you recommend using a more personal example such as voluntary work/training and participating in a running event etc? Thank you!

Jb1512

Nov 16, 2019
it won’t be as easy as just transferring your offer over from a VS to TC.

You can ask for your application to be transferred, but I would expect you may have to go through some form on final assessment process, as although the process is the same, the expectations and standards of what you are recruiting will be different for someone coming in for a VS than a TC.

Thanks for the response. Do you think it would reflect badly on me to ask?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, I am also in the process of doing the CC application and just saw your response above. For my achievement of "most importance", I have used an example relating to my current job (of over 2 years) where I worked on a very intense transaction that I regarded as extremely challenging (I currently work at a city law firm) - would this example be better suited to the work experience section of the form instead? Would you recommend using a more personal example such as voluntary work/training and participating in a running event etc? Thank you!

that is fine as it’s answering that part of the question, as long as it is your achievement of most importance, and not just an answer you think they want to hear.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi @Jessica Booker, this question was asked in another thread but you may not have seen it so I figured I'd also ask in here as probably a lot of people have wondered this too.

What would you recommend doing if you noticed a (small) typo after submitting an app? How would you view it if a candidate added a supplementary note to an app with the correction? Or, would it be better to just not say anything and hope they don't notice it? I, and many others I'm sure, would be curious to know the perspective of a graduate recruiter.

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, this question was asked in another thread but you may not have seen it so I figured I'd also ask in here as probably a lot of people have wondered this too.

What would you recommend doing if you noticed a (small) typo after submitting an app? How would you view it if a candidate added a supplementary note to an app with the correction? Or, would it be better to just not say anything and hope they don't notice it? I, and many others I'm sure, would be curious to know the perspective of a graduate recruiter.

Thanks!

Take it onboard not to repeat the same error in other applications. Don’t contact the recruiter about it - you’ve submitted the application and that is that.

You are just causing more work for other people if you are hoping someone will update it/correct it for you. Just leave it.

feel free to tag me in posts if you need a response to similar questions.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Understood. Thanks Jessica!

My only concern about it is that it is an example where many other people worked on the matter and you may have played a relatively small part in it. You’ll have to focus on why it was your biggest achievement a what you specifically did.

KatieCCM

Star Member
    Mar 12, 2019
    My only concern about it is that it is an example where many other people worked on the matter and you may have played a relatively small part in it. You’ll have to focus on why it was your biggest achievement a what you specifically did.

The deal time in my department was actually very small so I did take on a lead role - I didn't make this as clear in my first draft so will incorporate this part now, thanks very much for this advice!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.