How to answer: tell us about you (both the good and the not so good)

Ella!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 18, 2019
Heya, I was wondering whether anyone had advice for answering this question. I thought I could briefly mention a weakness but I don't know if I should be more honest and go a bit further in recognising flaws etc?

Thanks for any help!!!

W

Legendary Member
May 12, 2019
Heya, I was wondering whether anyone had advice for answering this question. I thought I could briefly mention a weakness but I don't know if I should be more honest and go a bit further in recognising flaws etc?

Thanks for any help!!!
Think with this question, they want you to show a weakness but show what you’ve done to improve on that. So I don’t think you just state your flaws but word it in such a way that it is something you recognise as a flaw and you’ve taken steps to improve that

Reactions: Shaz and Abstruser

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It’s good to show how you recognise your development areas, and what you do to try to improve them (as mentioned above). You can also reference that you hope the career will develop those skills further if appropriate too.

Just make sure the language is fairly light/positive, even when explaining the development points. Try to explain how you work around the development points too (eg dedicating more time to the task, asking for help/guidance, asking for feedback). Show your proactiveness in the “weaker” areas

Reactions: Shaz

Shaz

Distinguished Member
Sep 29, 2019
This is for the Cooley application I believe as I managed to get through to the AC stage last year. I agree with W in that you have to show what you've done to improve on your weakness. I also kind of linked it to how it was a downfall of a positive characteristic but I am not sure how well received this is as it can come across as a cliche! Good luck!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.