Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faye

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 3, 2018
Hi, has anyone heard back from Ashurst for their Winter Vacaction Scheme following the online tests. I did it two weeks ago now and their scheme is next month?

Just received a rejection after the tests, did them around 2 weeks ago as well. I thought my cover letter was strong, so it was likely due to the tests for me (or that they've filled up all the winter places already)!

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
Just heard back from Squire Winter and got an invite to AC! So happy as I was rejected from Simmons post VI yesterday and was sure that went better than Squire. It's my first AC so pretty nervous, it's a strength based interview and a presentation prepared on the day. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Just heard back from Squire Winter and got an invite to AC! So happy as I was rejected from Simmons post VI yesterday and was sure that went better than Squire. It's my first AC so pretty nervous, it's a strength based interview and a presentation prepared on the day. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
    Huge congrats! Wish you all the best :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: L.M.P

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    Huge congrats! Wish you all the best :)

Thank you
    Just received a rejection after the tests, did them around 2 weeks ago as well. I thought my cover letter was strong, so it was likely due to the tests for me (or that they've filled up all the winter places already)!
    That's really annoying, they should have done the tests first and then if you passed the cover letter! Good luck for the next ones.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Amazing!!! Well done :) :)

Faye

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 3, 2018
    Sorry to hear Fay :(
    Thank you

That's really annoying, they should have done the tests first and then if you passed the cover letter! Good luck for the next ones.

Ah, thank you both! I've had rejections from Ashurst, Shearman and Hogan Lovells post-AC in the past 24 hours now so needed the encouragement. :(
    @tractor12 Congratulations on your AC, can't provide any advice unfortunately but I'm sure you will be great :)

Faye

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 3, 2018
    Speaking of open days.... has anyone heard back from DLA or Eversheds regarding their early December open days?
    If you mean the Eversheds insight day, I'm going to the Manchester one next week. I don't remember it requiring any application other than personal details/grades though so probably wasn't that competitive haha

Mohammed

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 30, 2018

I just recieved a rejection from them as well today which does really suck since I felt as though my application was strong. Its ashame we can't get feedback at this stage, or a feedback report from the tests.

But best of luck with your applications!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I just recieved a rejection from them as well today which does really suck since I felt as though my application was strong. Its ashame we can't get feedback at this stage, or a feedback report from the tests.

But best of luck with your applications!
    so sorry to hear this - it can be so frustrating when you know an app is good! Are you absolutely sure you cannot get feedback on the tests?

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Ah, thank you both! I've had rejections from Ashurst, Shearman and Hogan Lovells post-AC in the past 24 hours now so needed the encouragement. :(
    @tractor12 Congratulations on your AC, can't provide any advice unfortunately but I'm sure you will be great :)
    @Faye you are so brave to share this and I am so sorry to hear you have had such a challenging 24 hours - rejection is never nice but I really can appreciate the hurt when it all seems to come at once!

Have you been able to get any feedback at all from the ACs or have you perhaps got some calls scheduled? ACs, just like apps, are an art in themselves and they can be very tricky. Practice does make perfect and luck also has a part to play in it as well. Let me know if you get feedback and if you want to talk it through and perhaps I can look to help you with some tips and advice going forwards? I don't have all the answers of course - but it can help to have someone else to objectively give some insight from past experiences! Hope you are ok and taking some time for yourself to do things you enjoy today - I am only a message away if you need to talk :)

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Wow, that is brutal! God this process doesn't half test your resilience does it... So sorry to hear that Fay :( - like Alice says, always happy to chat through any dilemmas/anxieties you may have but well done for getting to the HL AC which in itself is a great achievement! :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Chido, Faye and Alice G

Caitlin

Distinguished Member
    Mar 26, 2019
    Does anyone know if Ashurst review before sending their online tests? I applied over 2 weeks ago for (for winter VS) and still haven't received the tests... getting concerned as I know the scheme is only in a few weeks!

Had rejection today (without doing any tests) saying I couldn't be shortlisted for interview... bit odd and it seems I skipped the tests stage? Or was anyone else rejected pre-tests?

Soliha

Distinguished Member
  • Sep 19, 2018
    Had rejection today (without doing any tests) saying I couldn't be shortlisted for interview... bit odd and it seems I skipped the tests stage? Or was anyone else rejected pre-tests?
    It is weird. GradRec had told me that they assess your application and test results holistically. You should have received the test. Did you apply close to the deadline?

Faye

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 3, 2018
    @Faye you are so brave to share this and I am so sorry to hear you have had such a challenging 24 hours - rejection is never nice but I really can appreciate the hurt when it all seems to come at once!

Have you been able to get any feedback at all from the ACs or have you perhaps got some calls scheduled? ACs, just like apps, are an art in themselves and they can be very tricky. Practice does make perfect and luck also has a part to play in it as well. Let me know if you get feedback and if you want to talk it through and perhaps I can look to help you with some tips and advice going forwards? I don't have all the answers of course - but it can help to have someone else to objectively give some insight from past experiences! Hope you are ok and taking some time for yourself to do things you enjoy today - I am only a message away if you need to talk :)
    Wow, that is brutal! God this process doesn't half test your resilience does it... So sorry to hear that Fay :( - like Alice says, always happy to chat through any dilemmas/anxieties you may have but well done for getting to the HL AC which in itself is a great achievement! :)

Thank you both so much for your replies, you've really given some motivation to get through the rest of the day :) It's my third year of applications and the rejections really do not get any easier. I will definitely message once I get feedback from HL, so kind of you both to offer! :)

I felt motivated to share, because so many of you on this forum have done so already and I know I won't be judged for my rejections (used to be scared of this haha)! Given how competitive the process is, I imagine I'm not the only one getting rejections here and there. Hopefully will encourage other new members that we're all in the same boat. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.