Totally screwed up video interview

X2000

Jul 18, 2019
Just tried to do video interview for Simmons, practice-recorded a million times, thought I was ready for the real thing. Instead I broke down in panic halfway through the first (basic) question and submitted an incomplete answer. Haven't been able to bring myself to do the rest (I did email them, for all the good that will do).

Feel like the stupidest person alive but maybe someone will feel better about themselves from this anecdote so might as well share.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Just tried to do video interview for Simmons, practice-recorded a million times, thought I was ready for the real thing. Instead I broke down in panic halfway through the first (basic) question and submitted an incomplete answer. Haven't been able to bring myself to do the rest (I did email them, for all the good that will do).

Feel like the stupidest person alive but maybe someone will feel better about themselves from this anecdote so might as well share.

Really sorry to hear that. I'm very much like this - I'll practice to death, think I'm prepared and then blank on the real thing. At least it can only get better from here!

A98

Star Member
    Jun 17, 2019
    I actually went through the same thing for my Simmons video interview. Panicked after the first question. I answered the rest, but it was the worst video interview I had done because it was all 'ahh' 'umm' and I don't remember one coherent sentence.

It didn't work out with Simmons, but I'd say that practice and failure will eventually translate to improvement and success. I have yet to secure a TC so it might not be that convincing, but after the Simmons video interview mishap, I passed video interviews with Bristows and Latham. Not all video interviews have worked out and I think this applies to many people. It's definitely a lot more difficult than a face-to-face interview because you can't see who you're talking to and it's timed. So don't beat yourself up--you're not stupid at all!

Some people might not agree, but I think that if it's meant to be, it will be and youe potential will come across to your interviewers if you keep working hard- it'll come soon :)

Last edited:

Camilla

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    Ah - I just did a video interview and I think it went really badly.

I had an idea of what I thought they were going to ask and when they asked something different it really threw me off.

I got so nervous that I couldn't breathe and my mouth went so dry! I had to stop, look at the table and breaaaaathheeee in order to finish and then the time ran out lol. I managed to bounce back and I think the 2nd,3rd,4th questions were better, but yeah. VI's are horrible, it isn't just you! :(

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019

Ah honestly we've all been there! I did one that was sooo bad once that I ended up making myself feel better by thinking at least the grad recs will have a laugh when they watch my answers out of their long day of reviewing applications lol. Almost as if I did them a favour :D

• Haha
    Reactions: Faye

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Honestly i have been here too. With CMS last year it was the first question and it was a competency one I just did not have an answer to. It was so so bad I actually didn't get to say anything coherent at all. Annoyingly, because i messed up, i actually think my panic evaporated for the final three questions and I did them well! Sadly I was not progressed but with my Latham VI, i just tried to play down the significance of it and tried to imagine I was skyping a friend. I still felt that went terribly but i got over the line and I have never been so shocked to see an email in my life.

What I am trying to say is 1. we all mess up sometimes and it is ok - especially given how artifical VIs are and 2. That firm is not the be all and end all if you do not progress, there is likely to be something else just round the corner.

oh and not to neglect 3. Well done for doing the VI in the first place and give yourself a night off to watch I'm a celeb or any other tv show of choice :D

wwood

Distinguished Member
    Jan 19, 2019

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Cheer up, man! I believe in fate. Perhaps that firm isn't the right one for you. Pretty sure something better's waiting for you!! :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

PrincessTotoro

Nov 13, 2019
    speaking of video interviews and screw-ups...
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B5acDNGBsib/?igshid=1g8jhv3r53dnx

I feel so bad for this guy, getting a video interview is no small achievement! I do hope he has recovered from this incident and I am sure next time he will make sure he is fully dressed with special focus on the bottom. Although if I was a recruiter I think I will have appreciated his desire for both professionalism but not wanting to sacrifice comfort ;) This goes to show another important lesson - dressing the part means we are halfway there!

• Haha
    Reactions: Jai C.

Makeawish2309

Nov 23, 2020
    Honestly i have been here too. With CMS last year it was the first question and it was a competency one I just did not have an answer to. It was so so bad I actually didn't get to say anything coherent at all. Annoyingly, because i messed up, i actually think my panic evaporated for the final three questions and I did them well! Sadly I was not progressed but with my Latham VI, i just tried to play down the significance of it and tried to imagine I was skyping a friend. I still felt that went terribly but i got over the line and I have never been so shocked to see an email in my life.

What I am trying to say is 1. we all mess up sometimes and it is ok - especially given how artifical VIs are and 2. That firm is not the be all and end all if you do not progress, there is likely to be something else just round the corner.

oh and not to neglect 3. Well done for doing the VI in the first place and give yourself a night off to watch I'm a celeb or any other tv show of choice :D
    Hey! After how long have you heard back from CMS? I ve completed my VI on 20th and I havent heard back from them since. I got the invitation to the video interview 3 days after WG so I am really panicking right now. I feel like the longer i wait the most likely it is to receive a negative answer

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hey! After how long have you heard back from CMS? I ve completed my VI on 20th and I havent heard back from them since. I got the invitation to the video interview 3 days after WG so I am really panicking right now. I feel like the longer i wait the most likely it is to receive a negative answer
    I can understand the panic and stress of waiting for the outcome of your VI but being patient will be beneficial to you for the time being. Firms can take their time to process VIs (WG's have auto-generated scores so I am assuming that the effort required to process these is lesser)- it took me about a month to hear back on the outcome of my VI, for example. If you are really anxious, politely email the firm asking about when you can expect an outcome once two weeks have elapsed from the date of your VI. Let me know if you hear back in the interim and how it goes if you need to reach out to them via email eventually!

Reactions: George Maxwell

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi @Roxana Tudosa,

I wanted to add to what @AvniD has said on this:

From my experience, firms can take up to a month to process VIs (and still progress you!). So try not to stress too much and definitely do not assume it is a rejection!

Happy to answer any follow-ups :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    I just did one for sky. I completely screwed up all of the answers but it was my first one and hopefully I will learn from my horrific performance lol.
    Hey @x_Charlotte,

I think it really is difficult to tell how you did in a video interview. I was progressed to the next stage of the application process after (what I thought were) disastrous VIs.

On reflection though, is there anything that you would do differently for next time?

Reactions: Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.