Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    Hi Jessica,

I was wondering for this particular question;

How is Ashurst different from other firms you’ve applied to? (250 words)

Would you recommend if I link my answer to how the unique areas of Ashurst interests me? Or would 250 words be dedicated to just describing the firm and how it is unique?

Thank you so much! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I was wondering for this particular question;

How is Ashurst different from other firms you’ve applied to? (250 words)

Would you recommend if I link my answer to how the unique areas of Ashurst interests me? Or would 250 words be dedicated to just describing the firm and how it is unique?

I’d focus on the latter. You can then say “the specific uniqueness of x and Y was particularly drove me to apply” if appropriate

(obviously not those exact words, but to give you a sense of how briefly that can be referenced).

• 🏆
    Reactions: R203

Samar

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 28, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker , I am sure someone’s probably asked this before but couldn’t find it - where do you recommend writing about law firm events you’ve been to? I struggle with knowing which section to include this in. Should I just do one work experience section called “Events” and list it there?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker , I am sure someone’s probably asked this before but couldn’t find it - where do you recommend writing about law firm events you’ve been to? I struggle with knowing which section to include this in. Should I just do one work experience section called “Events” and list it there?

I wouldn’t put it in work experience - it isn’t work experience.

They could be referenced in any motivational question sections, or in the “any further information you want to provide” if you think that is suitable.

gricole

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 6, 2018
    Further to the previous question, how should we list the Open Days we've been to in application forms. Is a bullet pointed list enough or should I go into detail about each open day?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Further to the previous question, how should we list the Open Days we've been to in application forms. Is a bullet pointed list enough or should I go into detail about each open day?

depends on the rest of the format of your answer. Bullet points should suffice or listing them like the following may also work

Open Days 2018-19: Freshfields, Hogan Lovells, White & Case, and Clifford Chance

Reactions: gricole

Jai C.

Esteemed Member
    May 15, 2018
    Hi Jess, I just wanted to ask my deadline for video interview as stated in the email is “The deadline for this interview is 2 December 2019 (GMT+00:00).”

Do I have the whole of 2nd December to submit before midnight or does this mean that as soon 1st December ends on 00:00 and becomes 2nd December my deadline expires

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jess, I just wanted to ask my deadline for video interview as stated in the email is “The deadline for this interview is 2 December 2019 (GMT+00:00).”

Do I have the whole of 2nd December to submit before midnight or does this mean that as soon 1st December ends on 00:00 and becomes 2nd December my deadline expires

These are always worded slightly incorrectly, especially if it is one of the main interview platform providers (name escapes me right now). It will be 23.59 on the 2 December.

I would stress that this means the interview might not submit even if you start it before 23.59 - but its pretty stupid to leave it that late anyway. I would always try to do it before close of business (e.g. 5pm on a work day) just in case you experience any technical issues

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

Quick question - would I have to capitalise the "p" in principal? Like "I worked with my principal to complete..."

For all my knowledge of grammar (thanks to learning from the likes of Ben Staveley), this is one I still get confused with....

But the answer depends on the context of the word within the sentence:

Here are some links that explains the differences:

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/1393/should-project-manager-be-capitalized

https://grammar.yourdictionary.com/capitalization/capitalization-of-job-titles.html

But in all honesty, no one is really looking at this level of detail on an application form.

Last edited:
    • 🏆
    Reactions: R203

Plum

Star Member
    Oct 30, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I have to complete a test ‘within 5 days’ of an email which came at lunchtime today. What do you think that makes the deadline? Does this include the weekend/the half day today?

I need as much time as possible to practice...

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I have to complete a test ‘within 5 days’ of an email which came at lunchtime today. What do you think that makes the deadline? Does this include the weekend/the half day today?

I need as much time as possible to practice...

Thanks!

I'd take it as 120 hours from the point the email was set. It may be the case it doesn't time out until 23.59 on Sunday, but I wouldn't take that risk of leaving it that late anyway.

Don't practice lots - it won't have a big impact in your ability.

What kind of assessment is it?

Plum

Star Member
    Oct 30, 2019
    I'd take it as 120 hours from the point the email was set. It may be the case it doesn't time out until 23.59 on Sunday, but I wouldn't take that risk of leaving it that late anyway.

Don't practice lots - it won't have a big impact in your ability.

What kind of assessment is it?
    Ah thank you!
    It’s some sort of game-based assessment, called SkyriseCity City (developed by Arctic Shores). Apparently it’s pretty weird so trying to gather intel...

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Ah thank you!
    It’s some sort of game-based assessment, called SkyriseCity City (developed by Arctic Shores). Apparently it’s pretty weird so trying to gather intel...

you can’t practice for it at all - I know the assessment well. Just do it at a time that you are fresh and alert.

Reactions: Plum

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    For all my knowledge of grammar (thanks to learning from the likes of Ben Staveley), this is one I still get confused with....

But the answer depends on the context of the word within the sentence:

Here are some links that explains the differences:

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/1393/should-project-manager-be-capitalized

https://grammar.yourdictionary.com/capitalization/capitalization-of-job-titles.html

But in all honesty, no one is really looking at this level of detail on an application form.

Thank you so much! :):)

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    Hi Jessica,

Would you recommend that I provide my address and the firm's address when writing cover letters on the application portal? Or could I jump straight into it by writing Dear XYZ... ?

Camilla

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    Hi Jessica. I just realised that I made a mistake on an application form and accidentally over inflated my land law grade by 6% - should I email grad rec and correct the grade, or wait to see whether I progress to interview stage and then let grad rec know?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.