Paralegalling

Plum

Star Member
Oct 30, 2019
Hi everyone,

I'm semi-new to the site but think it's such a supportive place so thought I'd pose a question. Everyone seems pretty switched on and experienced so I'd welcome suggestions from anyone!

I have an interview for a paralegal role at a small London corporate firm next week. For context, it's predominantly company stuff, which I love, and I don't have the LPC but recently graduated with a good Law degree.

I'm pretty sure they're going to ask about my career ambitions, which are honestly to gain a TC with a city firm. Does anyone have any advice on approaching this question? Should I go for a committed approach ('I want to be a career paralegal'), or a career-building approach (I want to qualify eventually)? Or another approach?

As the firm is small, there's nothing on their website about training contracts etc so potentially this might not set off warning signals as it does in bigger firms, where they think you're trying to get in the back way. Or it'll annoy them! Any advice would be great, I realllly want this job.

Thanks!

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Welcome! It’s great to have you.

In short, you can demonstrate your career ambitions but still express a clear interest for the paralegal role.

In my experience, honesty in the best policy. By making your career ambitions clear, your motivations for the paralegal role make more sense. Recruiters are switched on and they know a lot of law students don’t come out university desperate to be paralegals. For many, it is a role that gives them experience to progress to a TC (along with other qualities law firms are looking for.) By making that clear, you come across as genuine.

However, I still think it’s important to express an interest in the role. Getting a TC won’t be the sole reason you’ve chosen to apply for a paralegal role. If that was your only reason, you could have chosen a dozen other jobs, like something in banking or as a legal assistant. Such jobs equally help build those practical skills through real-life experience. What made you go for the paralegal role specifically? Is it the client contact? The teamwork dynamic? The specific department? Have a think about your motivations as you will be able to convincingly explain your goals - both short and long term.

Hope this helps.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.