Jones Day

Brandon93

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2018
''Please type your cover letter below to be read by the Graduate Recruitment Manager. You do not need to address it to a person or to include your/our address.'' The word limit is 300 words.

Would anyone be able to shed some light on how to structure the Jones Day Cover Letter? In particular what questions I should be answering e.g. why law, why commercial law etc.

Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated.

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
So I did this cover letter for them last year and got through to interview. I covered:
  • my interest in commercial law specifically
  • why Jones Day (you must, crucially, answer why their no-seat structure suits you)
  • Interwoven in both answers I mentioned what skills I would bring. e.g. I'm interested in commercial law because I like solving problems, here's one example. Or, I'm attracted to Jones Day's collaborative One Firm Worldwide structure/ideal because I enjoy working in a team, here's another example.
  • I weighed more heavily towards why Jones Day than why commercial law but I'm not sure this is a prerequisite. I would advise trying to balance equally between the two

Last edited:

Yminh

Star Member
Premium Member
Sep 25, 2018
''Please type your cover letter below to be read by the Graduate Recruitment Manager. You do not need to address it to a person or to include your/our address.'' The word limit is 300 words.

Would anyone be able to shed some light on how to structure the Jones Day Cover Letter? In particular what questions I should be answering e.g. why law, why commercial law etc.

Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated.
Jaysen shared his successful Jones Day cover letter on an earlier thread which I found very helpful to use as guidance on what to include and how to balance the content
winning cover letter example - https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/looking-for-past-cover-letters-or-online-forms.497/#post-1939

Reactions: Brandon93

BC2000

Mar 6, 2018
Just to advise but having submitted at this time last year it really is imperative to get your application in ASAP. They ran out of Winter Vac scheme places by mid-October last year; they will transfer you to spring and summer but just be aware of this likelhood.

nymi

Distinguished Member
Nov 21, 2019
So I did this cover letter for them last year and got through to interview. I covered:
  • my interest in commercial law specifically
  • why Jones Day (you must, crucially, answer why their no-seat structure suits you)
  • Interwoven in both answers I mentioned what skills I would bring. e.g. I'm interested in commercial law because I like solving problems, here's one example. Or, I'm attracted to Jones Day's collaborative One Firm Worldwide structure/ideal because I enjoy working in a team, here's another example.
  • I weighed more heavily towards why Jones Day than why commercial law but I'm not sure this is a prerequisite. I would advise trying to balance equally between the two
Hi, may I know in how long did you receive a reply from the firm after submitting your application ?

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
Hi, may I know in how long did you receive a reply from the firm after submitting your application ?
Hi! It's been two years since then so I'm sorry to say I don't remember :(

I remember it wasn't too long. I believe they take some time collecting references before reaching out but this may differ between people. Apologies I can't help anymore than that!

ComplianceChange

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019
Jones Day requested my reference on the 24th December, my reference was only able to send the reference on the 2nd January. Should I hold out much hope- most claim Jones Day run out of places on schemes.

MzM

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2019
Jones Day requested my reference on the 24th December, my reference was only able to send the reference on the 2nd January. Should I hold out much hope- most claim Jones Day run out of places on schemes.
May I ask when you originally submitted your application? I haven't yet received an email saying that they are reaching out for a reference?

Lea.E-R

Dec 25, 2019

Hey, I just received the email asking for the reference. But they mentioned the following 'we have indicated to your referee that an early response would be helpful, ideally within 10 days of our request.' so I don't think you should have to worry!
I hope you'll be succesful! ;)

Last edited:
  • 🤝
Reactions: ComplianceChange

NourJ

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Jan 1, 2020
Hey, I just received the email asking for the reference. But they mentioned the following 'we have indicated to your referee that an early response would be helpful, ideally within 10 days of our request.' so I don't think you should have to worry!

When did you apply?

ComplianceChange

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019

So much anxiety waiting my view is why would they ask for a reference if they're not at least a little interested, would waste a lot of people time if they requested references for everyone.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.