Vacation Scheme Top Tips

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hey guys! I know there are a few posts in the forum relating to how we can impress on a vacation scheme, but I thought it would be great to start a new thread with spring vacs just around the corner! If anyone has done a vac scheme before it would be great to hear your top tips and maybe things you wish you had known and done differently! :) thanks everyone and hope you’re having a great week!

Lawgirlxo

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Jun 20, 2018
1. Never, ever, ever, compare yourselves to the other students. It’ll ruin your whole vac scheme. Don’t be tempted to pick out who you think is better than you, or who you think you’re better than. Everyone on the scheme is worthy to be there, including you. Use this opportunity to make new friends.

2. Accept every task/work with enthusiasm. The work might be boring, or simply way below your capabilities. Smile and run away with it.

3. Don’t talk bad about other firms, ever. I wouldn’t even bring this topic up unless someone at the firm asks me a question.

4. Don’t gossip about other interns. You’ll be surprised how often this happens.

5. Don’t be concerned about what other interns are doing. One intern might be having the best time - they’re going to court, attending client meetings and everyone just seems to love him/her. What happens to this intern is not your business, you can’t really do anything about it anyway. Focus on yourself and do your own thing.

5. Enjoy the vacation scheme. This is by far my biggest tip. The reason I haven’t written a lot of tips is because I don’t want you to have a tick box exercise in your head of do’s and dont’s. The grad team put a lot of effort into these schemes (they literally spoil you for no good reason). Immerse yourself in all that the firm has to offer because it is an exciting experience!

Honestly, if I could go back, I would have given myself a break.

Best of luck!

• 🏆
  • 🤝
Reactions: Chido, AY, CT and 10 others

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
1. Never, ever, ever, compare yourselves to the other students. It’ll ruin your whole vac scheme. Don’t be tempted to pick out who you think is better than you, or who you think you’re better than. Everyone on the scheme is worthy to be there, including you. Use this opportunity to make new friends.

2. Accept every task/work with enthusiasm. The work might be boring, or simply way below your capabilities. Smile and run away with it.

3. Don’t talk bad about other firms, ever. I wouldn’t even bring this topic up unless someone at the firm asks me a question.

4. Don’t gossip about other interns. You’ll be surprised how often this happens.

5. Don’t be concerned about what other interns are doing. One intern might be having the best time - they’re going to court, attending client meetings and everyone just seems to love him/her. What happens to this intern is not your business, you can’t really do anything about it anyway. Focus on yourself and do your own thing.

5. Enjoy the vacation scheme. This is by far my biggest tip. The reason I haven’t written a lot of tips is because I don’t want you to have a tick box exercise in your head of do’s and dont’s. The grad team put a lot of effort into these schemes (they literally spoil you for no good reason). Immerse yourself in all that the firm has to offer because it is an exciting experience!

Honestly, if I could go back, I would have given myself a break.

Best of luck!
This is fabulous advice! Particularly your last point about enjoying it. I feel so so lucky to have the opportunity and intend to relish every second of it! Thank you for sharing this, I think it’s incredibly useful guidance :)

• 🤝
Reactions: Daniel Boden and Lawgirlxo

Insecable

Star Member
Trainee
Junior Lawyer 16
Jan 13, 2019
This is more of a practical point, but does anyone have any advice for where most vac schemers in London decide to stay during their vac scheme, in terms of accommodation etc.? Are student halls the best choice? Thank you!

Emily Collett

Oct 15, 2019
I have a question ahead of day 1 of my Travers scheme tomorrow. They are going to make us do a mock pitch to an investor. I did an interview for the scheme rather than an AC, so I really have no experience at all of group exercises like this. Any advice is appreciated!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.