Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    AC invitation from Macfarlanes! Only applied 5 days ago so this is the fastest turnaround time I've ever experienced haha.

If anyone has tips for the AC/has done it before, please message me - I'd be so grateful :)
    Amazing, well done!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hey guys just wondering if anyone can help with a Clifford Chance query if you attended one of their open days this year.

I attended a CC open day last year where there was some advice on applications but I have heard a few things this year that diverge from this. For example, last year it was advised we should link back to the profession and CC itself wherever possible in the 600 words but this year I’ve heard the opposite was advised? Also I’ve heard that grad rec have indicated the STAR technique would be favourable, is this true?
    Sorry it’s a bit late in asking but I’ve only just been made aware of these potential discrepancies between the two recruitment cycles and would be very very grateful for any insights :)

Demna87

Distinguished Member
    Aug 23, 2018
    Hey guys just wondering if anyone can help with a Clifford Chance query if you attended one of their open days this year.

I attended a CC open day last year where there was some advice on applications but I have heard a few things this year that diverge from this. For example, last year it was advised we should link back to the profession and CC itself wherever possible in the 600 words but this year I’ve heard the opposite was advised? Also I’ve heard that grad rec have indicated the STAR technique would be favourable, is this true?
    Sorry it’s a bit late in asking but I’ve only just been made aware of these potential discrepancies between the two recruitment cycles and would be very very grateful for any insights :)

Hey, I went to the open day last year and I remember them saying not to refer to CC in the 600 words. When I was there they stressed that this should be about you. I think they said STAR should be used for your greatest achievement but I'm not sure if we are supposed to use it with other examples that we include.

I think they also said that you can use the fact that there is no word limit in the work experience section to your advantage. Whether this means to include your interest in CC there, I'm not sure.

With this all being said I know of people who have talked about CC and why they're interested in commercial law in the 600 words who have made it to AC...

Reactions: Salma and Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hey, I went to the open day last year and I remember them saying not to refer to CC in the 600 words. When I was there they stressed that this should be about you. I think they said STAR should be used for your greatest achievement but I'm not sure if we are supposed to use it with other examples that we include.

I think they also said that you can use the fact that there is no word limit in the work experience section to your advantage. Whether this means to include your interest in CC there, I'm not sure.

With this all being said I know of people who have talked about CC and why they're interested in commercial law in the 600 words who have made it to AC...
    Ooh that’s a tough one but thank you for replying to me!! I went to their first open day so perhaps the advice changed back then but I’m not entirely sure. I suppose I will just keep plugging away and see how the word count looks

J Wu

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 11, 2018

General tips from the graduate recruitment team from an open day in November:
    • There is no set way to do it; the 600 words is all about you and representing yourself in a way that allows them to get to know you
    • I asked specifically about general approaches to the 600 word question e.g. whether to focus on what you did or to draw out all of the skills etc. Grad rec said there is no set way to do it, it is a blank slate for you to fill in whatever way you think best gets your personality across.
    • There isn't a need to explicitly link the 600 words back to CC; motivation is a key focus when candidates reach the AC stage.
    • One approach suggested by grad rec was to treat it like a story/multiple stories (STAR/CAR works here but they did not mention any specific approach)
    Another thing:
    • In your work experience, write about what you took from the open day you went to. Talk about what you took from each activity, what you learned and how it was impactful. You could do this as a separate work experience entry on its own or as part of another entry where you already talk about all your open days collectively.

J Malone

Valued Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    how many days would the application stage take for firms? a week? or 10 days?
    So after a week or 10 days of submitting the application, then would it be better to consider as a rejection?

Thanks

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    • There is no set way to do it; the 600 words is all about you and representing yourself in a way that allows them to get to know you
    • I asked specifically about general approaches to the 600 word question e.g. whether to focus on what you did or to draw out all of the skills etc. Grad rec said there is no set way to do it, it is a blank slate for you to fill in whatever way you think best gets your personality across.
    • There isn't a need to explicitly link the 600 words back to CC; motivation is a key focus when candidates reach the AC stage.
    • One approach suggested by grad rec was to treat it like a story/multiple stories (STAR/CAR works here but they did not mention any specific approach)
    Another thing:
    • In your work experience, write about what you took from the open day you went to. Talk about what you took from each activity, what you learned and how it was impactful. You could do this as a separate work experience entry on its own or as part of another entry where you already talk about all your open days collectively.
    Excellent thank you for such detailed insight! It appears they really just want to see us do it in the way we see fit as I guess this allows our personalities to come through in and of itself!
    Thanks again!!! :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    how many days would the application stage take for firms? a week? or 10 days?
    So after a week or 10 days of submitting the application, then would it be better to consider as a rejection?

Thanks
    There is absolutely no set timeframe. Some firms may provide students with guidance about this perhaps online or at open days but there is no one size fits all and don’t assume a rejection. I always think that no news is good news so don’t fret about the time taken because firms have so many apps to review, especially around this time and in January.

Reactions: J Malone

PSM

Esteemed Member
    Aug 9, 2019

Hi Alice,

I attended an open day in September! Grad rec said we didn't need to focus on linking it back to the firm as others have said and did say STAR method would really help. They also said to try quantify achievements or work experience tasks as much as possible as that helps them get a better picture. So I think there may have been a slight shift this year?

Good luck with your application! :)

Reactions: Salma, nyasha and Alice G

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Another thing:

Great advice, thanks for taking the time to share this!

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi Alice,

I attended an open day in September! Grad rec said we didn't need to focus on linking it back to the firm as others have said and did say STAR method would really help. They also said to try quantify achievements or work experience tasks as much as possible as that helps them get a better picture. So I think there may have been a slight shift this year?

Good luck with your application! :)
    amazing advice - thank you so much for your help and clarifying this for me! I have been so busy I have left it later than i would like but fingers crossed! Best of luck to you too!

Last edited:
    Reactions: PSM
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.