Bird & Bird Video Interview

cc800

Dec 7, 2019
Hi! I have to complete a video interview with Bird & Bird this week and am struggling to find information about it online.

Specifically, does anyone have any insight into the questions they ask and roughly how long they give you to think between presenting the question and the recording beginning.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! This is my first recorded video interview so feeling a bit nervous.

Thanks!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi! I have to complete a video interview with Bird & Bird this week and am struggling to find information about it online.

Specifically, does anyone have any insight into the questions they ask and roughly how long they give you to think between presenting the question and the recording beginning.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! This is my first recorded video interview so feeling a bit nervous.

Thanks!
    Hi Courtney,

Happy to help and know that you are always welcome to ask people questions on here - it's a very friendly community :)

The questions are taken from a huge bank of competency questions so it's hard to know what you'd be asked but the ones I got asked last cycle were these:

What aspects of a career in law have attracted you to pursue this career?

If you could improve something at work or with your studies - what would it be and how would it make an improvement?

What qualities did a piece of work that you did well in, possess?

How would your work colleagues describe you?

Some pretty strange ones! Funnily enough, last year with their video interview software, after the question came up it would ask for flash player permissions which would pause the timer so you effectively had as much time as you wanted to give an answer! A technical glitch but definitely worked in my favour haha

In terms of the timings, I can't really remember so it might be worth shooting GradRec an email just to ask what the structure of the VI is.

Hope this helps!

All the best,
    Dan

Reactions: Jaysen

cc800

Dec 7, 2019
    Hi Courtney,

Happy to help and know that you are always welcome to ask people questions on here - it's a very friendly community :)

The questions are taken from a huge bank of competency questions so it's hard to know what you'd be asked but the ones I got asked last cycle were these:

What aspects of a career in law have attracted you to pursue this career?

If you could improve something at work or with your studies - what would it be and how would it make an improvement?

What qualities did a piece of work that you did well in, possess?

How would your work colleagues describe you?

Some pretty strange ones! Funnily enough, last year with their video interview software, after the question came up it would ask for flash player permissions which would pause the timer so you effectively had as much time as you wanted to give an answer! A technical glitch but definitely worked in my favour haha

In terms of the timings, I can't really remember so it might be worth shooting GradRec an email just to ask what the structure of the VI is.

Hope this helps!

All the best,
    Dan

Thanks Dan!!! This is so helpful I really appreciate it.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

SA123

Dec 3, 2019

Thanks!

Hi!

I’m in the same position as you re having a Bird & Bird VI. I know that they use the platform Shortlist.Me and on that website you can do a practice test.

On the practice test they were purely competency-based questions, but from what I gather to be a huge bank of them, so very difficult to predict what questions you’ll get.

In that practice test I was given 20 seconds to prepare my answer and then 2 minutes to speak. I actually really recommend doing the practice test because after you record your answer to each question they take you to a checklist so you can self-assess whether you have answered all parts of the question and then give you the option to re-record as many times as you want. It’s completely private so Bird & Bird won’t be able to see your answers .

I haven’t done the official test yet so sorry I can’t give any insight on that but hope the info about the practice test helps!

Good luck!

Reactions: Jaysen and gigi23

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    Went to the Open Day.

There will be four competency questions and one on commercial awareness.

You have 1 minute to prepare and 1.5 minutes to answers. However, it's better to be concise, if you finish your answer in 1 minute don't try and continue just for the sake of it. Better to end it there.

To prepare, create a list of all your examples from which you can draw from to demonstrate your skills. Use STAR. Look into the camera, not the screen.

Smile.

PrincessTotoro

Nov 13, 2019
    Thanks Ricky, I also went to the Open Day, I can confirm this was exactly what the graduate recruitment emphasised.
    To add, please make sure you are appropriately dressed (let's do learn the lesson from the gentleman who had a VI with Eversheds).
    Make sure you are not disturbed and try to speak normally as you would do in a real-time interview.
    Having said all this, I still haven't worked up my courage to do mine.
    Good luck everyone! :)

Rey

Dec 30, 2019
    Hi all

I've got a VI to do for Bird & Bird and was wondering if someone had already taken the test. If so, what questions can I expect and what is the timing like?

All responses are useful and appreciated in advance!

Carolinec12

Standard Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Hi all,
    Not sure if anyone still needs to complete the VI but I just completed one and won't lie it was so much harder than I thought. I spent at least few hours to prepare for it only to run out of time with my answers. 90 seconds is really short, especially when machine cuts you off in the middle of the sentence. The questions I got had nothing to do with STAR method or anything to present my skills on the basis of a certain experience. Equally I didn't get Commercial Awareness question despite being so fully prepared for one.

Mash239

Oct 11, 2019
    Hi, not sure whether this thread is still alive but are we allowed to write notes during the video interview or do we have to plan the answers in our heads?
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. You have 60 seconds to plan your answer (based on comments above), which you can write on paper, and then the countdown timer starts and the camera starts recording.

In other news, anyone has done this year's VI and have example questions?

Last edited:
    Reactions: cmaj and Sara Moon

Sara Moon

Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer
    Sep 10, 2018
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. You have maybe 15 to 30 seconds to plan your answer, which you can write on paper, and then the countdown timer starts and the camera starts recording.

In other news, anyone has done this year's VI and have example questions?
    This was exactly what I was asking thank you!

Mash239

Oct 11, 2019
    This was exactly what I was asking thank you!
    Whoop I realised that I was slightly misleading. Just for clarification, the countdown timer for the prep stage starts (60s) where you can plan your answer on paper, then a second countdown timer will start (90s) where you will answer.

*Timing based on comments above

Last edited:
    Reactions: Sara Moon

Yev

Nov 9, 2020
    Hi everyone,

I just sat my Video Interview over the weekend and I can confirm that it takes about 15 minutes max. You are given 60 seconds to prepare and two minutes to respond to each question (you do not have to take the entire time up).

It is composed of four questions which are mostly competency-based and commercial awareness. My note would be to not over prepare as the questions are fairly general (I made the mistake of trying to put post its of every competency on the wall and this actually flustered me more than helped). That being said, from above, it seems like they have a giant pool of questions, so it could really vary for each applicant.

D

Deleted member 8599

Hi everyone,

I just sat my Video Interview over the weekend and I can confirm that it takes about 15 minutes max. You are given 60 seconds to prepare and two minutes to respond to each question (you do not have to take the entire time up).

It is composed of four questions which are mostly competency-based and commercial awareness. My note would be to not over prepare as the questions are fairly general (I made the mistake of trying to put post its of every competency on the wall and this actually flustered me more than helped). That being said, from above, it seems like they have a giant pool of questions, so it could really vary for each applicant.
    Second that. I sat the Bird & Bird video interview earlier this week. The questions were actually really fun. Mostly competency-based, innovative thinking and general reasons for becoming a solicitor.

Reactions: cmaj and j2134

SanaraT

M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 28, 2020
    For the commercial awareness question is it just 'demonstrate a time you displayed commercial awareness' or a question about general commercial news now to test your commercial awareness? Thanks

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.