Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camilla

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    Did you practise for the WG? If so, and if you don’t mind me asking, what did you do to practice?

No problem. I use jobtestprep and assessmentday.com. I subscribe to both.

Maybe a little over the top, but I like having a lot of different questions to practise with.

I also use Clifford Chance's practise test and the practise test on the Pearson Talentlens website.

I am absolutely rubbish at the true/false/might be true/could be false section, so I have made myself an "expert" in the other sections. I was only in the 62nd percentile (I think) for the Linklaters WG test though, so could have just been luck on the day.

Reactions: Lumree and Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    No problem. I use jobtestprep and assessmentday.com. I subscribe to both.

Maybe a little over the top, but I like having a lot of different questions to practise with.

I also use Clifford Chance's practise test and the practise test on the Pearson Talentlens website.

I am absolutely rubbish at the true/false/might be true/could be false section, so I have made myself an "expert" in the other sections. I was only in the 62nd percentile (I think) for the Linklaters WG test though, so could have just been luck on the day.
    Great suggestions!! I also think it bears to mention that assumptions and evaluating arguments make up 12 questions each, whereas drawing conclusions accounts for 16. I’m not 100% sure but think inferences (true, false etc) and the more obvious ‘conclusions’ section comprise the latter. Given that this section weighs in at over a third it can sometimes skew the overall percentage so going forwards I’m going to try to focus on these sections when checking my answers. I only say this as overall I did better in one test but did worse in conclusions than usual which meant my actual overall percentage was lower. Just what I have deduced from experience but obviously try to practise all sections!! Just think it can be worth double checking these sections :)

Reactions: Lumree

PrincessTotoro

Nov 13, 2019
    Anyone got through Bird & Bird WG to VI and know their score? I got 30/40 raw and 72 percentile and didn't make it through :(

Got Baker McKenzie WG to do before Friday so currently sh**ting it. Getting lots of practice in to try and do better this time!
    I didn’t realise you can find out how you did on your Watson Glaser. Did you email graduate recruitment? I got through and did my video interview a few days ago but I’m not expecting anything as it went horribly.

Ryan

Standard Member
    Dec 16, 2019
    I've been invited to an AC with DLA Piper! I'm quite nervous for it, I had two AC's last year which I didn't pass. If anyone has any advice or guidance, I would really appreciate it! :)

Congrats on getting your place! I did an AC with DLA about a month ago - I didn't make it through but I'll share my experience anyway!

The day for me started off with a group exercise (we were 4 or 5 in the group) which consisted of reading through 6 scenarios and then discussing what you would advise the client. You have 15 mins to go through the scenarios before the discussion. Ensure that you give yourself enough time to go through each one.The Partners only observed the discussion and did not ask any questions at the end. The feedback that I received was that they liked that I started off the discussion but once I volunteered to take down the notes on the whiteboard, I started to drop out (essentially they were expecting me to lead the rest of the discussion). So if you elect to take the notes be careful and make sure that you are still engaged!

The second exercise was the case study. You have an hour to prep and then you present. The most important thing is to have a structure and to use your time efficiently during the hour - I do not think there is too much you can do to prep for this.

I finished off with the interview. I was asked why DLA and then competencies: tell me about a time you made a mistake, how do you learn best, tell me about a time you worked in a team, tell me about a time you resolved a conflict etc.

The Partners were very nice also!! If you have any other questions I'll try to answer them :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.