Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Update from Ashurst in case anyone else hasn't heard anything following a summer vacation scheme application:

Dear Daniel

Further to our last communication, we would like to provide you with a progress update on your application. We have had an overwhelming response and are still continuing to receive a high volume of applications which we are currently screening.

We expect to be able to provide an update to you in January in relation to whether your application will be progressed to the next stage of our process.

We would like to thank you for your patience and wish you a lovely break over the holiday season.

Kind Regards

The Early Careers Team

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Helena and Soliha

Aleks Owczarska

Future Trainee
    Nov 5, 2019
    Reed Smith rejection post research questions, absolutely gutted as I went to the open day, connected with the firm and spent a lot of time on the answers :(

I got the same email yesterday. Like you, I went for their Open Day and did my best answering the questions but remember, the trick with TCs is that you only have to be right once! I am sure it will happen for you very soon.

Also, I got an invite for Fieldfisher's phone interview and DLA Piper's AC, any tips??

Thanks in advance :)
    Aleks

Corporatepal

Sep 20, 2019
    Update from Ashurst in case anyone else hasn't heard anything following a summer vacation scheme application:

Dear Daniel

Further to our last communication, we would like to provide you with a progress update on your application. We have had an overwhelming response and are still continuing to receive a high volume of applications which we are currently screening.

We expect to be able to provide an update to you in January in relation to whether your application will be progressed to the next stage of our process.

We would like to thank you for your patience and wish you a lovely break over the holiday season.

Kind Regards

The Early Careers Team

Ohhhhh so it was from Ashurst. I literally got the exact same email with no firm name or indication of which firm is emailing me, it just said early careers team. I was so confused because I had sent out a lot of applications so didn't know which one it was. Thanks for clarification!

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Lauren

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 16, 2018
    Congrats on getting your place! I did an AC with DLA about a month ago - I didn't make it through but I'll share my experience anyway!

The day for me started off with a group exercise (we were 4 or 5 in the group) which consisted of reading through 6 scenarios and then discussing what you would advise the client. You have 15 mins to go through the scenarios before the discussion. Ensure that you give yourself enough time to go through each one.The Partners only observed the discussion and did not ask any questions at the end. The feedback that I received was that they liked that I started off the discussion but once I volunteered to take down the notes on the whiteboard, I started to drop out (essentially they were expecting me to lead the rest of the discussion). So if you elect to take the notes be careful and make sure that you are still engaged!

The second exercise was the case study. You have an hour to prep and then you present. The most important thing is to have a structure and to use your time efficiently during the hour - I do not think there is too much you can do to prep for this.

I finished off with the interview. I was asked why DLA and then competencies: tell me about a time you made a mistake, how do you learn best, tell me about a time you worked in a team, tell me about a time you resolved a conflict etc.

The Partners were very nice also!! If you have any other questions I'll try to answer them :)
    Thank you!! That's really helpful :)

Reactions: Ryan

Eledoya

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Mar 8, 2018
    This seems a bit paranoid but should I be worried if I haven’t heard back from CMS yet. Last year I submitted and received a watson glaser test invite with 6 days. It’s been over a week and still nothing. I know people have heard quickly and they recruit on a rolling basis.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.