Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

nymi

Distinguished Member
Nov 21, 2019
Hi congratulations on the VI invite! Was just wondering your opinion on the VI, I have an invite just unsure what to expect.

Hi,
The interview is not timed so you don’t have to worry at all. There are 4 questions and 90 seconds are given to answer each of them. You can complete the interview at your own pace as it doesn’t have to be completed in one sitting. The questions are related to the firm, such as, what attracted you to the firm? What have you applied for the position? Etc.

Hope this helps, best of luck !!!

• 🤝
Reactions: Mariya

Demna87

Distinguished Member
Aug 23, 2018
Sorry if this is obvious, I'm having trouble locating the answer on Kirkland's job board but does anyone know:

Is Kirkland's deadline tonight at midnight, or tomorrow midnight? Deadline just says 5th
and same for Debevoise?
I suspect it must be tomorrow midnight, right?

DavidJC

Distinguished Member
Dec 29, 2019
Just thought I'd ask in here but if I just noticed a typo in an attached cover letter (required) on a submitted application, should I contact grad rec about it or leave it be?

I cannot access the application anymore and it's extra damaging because I mentioned attention to detail in one of the application question and I wouldn't want my chances to be hurt by this.

J32

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Apr 4, 2019
Just thought I'd ask in here but if I just noticed a typo in an attached cover letter (required) on a submitted application, should I contact grad rec about it or leave it be?

I cannot access the application anymore and it's extra damaging because I mentioned attention to detail in one of the application question and I wouldn't want my chances to be hurt by this.

I've heard of people who've got through to ACs with typos - better to not email Grad Rec as you're pointing out your mistake and they might not notice themselves

D

Deleted member 2707

Hi! I submitted my Hogan Lovells application on 10th Dec and did the WG on the 13th. I have yet to hear back but have heard that they are holding ACs on the 7th. Does this mean a rejection? Should I email grad rec for an update? Is anyone in the same position?

A4991

Star Member
Nov 20, 2019
Hi! I submitted my Hogan Lovells application on 10th Dec and did the WG on the 13th. I have yet to hear back but have heard that they are holding ACs on the 7th. Does this mean a rejection? Should I email grad rec for an update? Is anyone in the same position?

Relax. The christmas holidays have just finished and hundreds of people are submitting applications which grad rec have to sift through. Just because they are holding assessment centres doesn't mean that you have been rejected. Applications have been open since October whereas you have applied in December just before the holidays so I am sure they are still processing applications in the order they have received them. You should probably hear from them sometime this month, HL are relatively fast in getting back to applicants in comparison to other firms. Patient is a virtue.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

no - just take it on the chin and try not to make the same mistake in future

Reactions: ComplianceChange

nina_123

Distinguished Member
Jul 15, 2019
There aren't any online tests for Travers Smith if that's what you mean:)

Written exercise: There is some basic maths involved to work out a factual answer before you write a longer piece. The maths is not difficult so don't let it throw you even if you think you're not good at maths. Make sure you get the right answer (but it's very time pressured so there is a balance between making sure you're right and getting on with the actual writing). Write as clearly as you can not using legal jargon and try to finish to show you've planned your time but don't panic if you don't (lots of people won't).

Interview: Commercial aspect and competency questions. For the commercial bit, try to pre-empt the questions and read it carefully. It shouldn't be too alien and is quite clear. The competency questions seem quite odd, think there's a list that they just stick to and none of them will be much of a surprise but it isn't very spontaneous. There is the classic why law, why here, commercial story that interests you... be prepared to be challenged on these so have solid answers.

Group exercise: Is commercial in nature unlike some firms but again very accessible. Do the usual not talking over anyone or being too dominant but making sure you say something. Try to only speak when you have a useful point or suggestion as they will see through meaningless fillers.

There are quite a lot of people there, but don't let it put you off. Is quite a friendly vibe. Think you spend a bit of time sitting with a trainee if I remember rightly- be nice obviously as it's not assessed but they may just say oh I liked him/her or no I didn't. Overall it's a fun day and a good level of challenging.

Thanks so much - that’s really helpful!! :D

Shane

Distinguished Member
Jul 22, 2018
Hey everybody, am I right in thinking that the Latham deadline is at 11.59 pm tonight if it is advertised as being on the 5th of January. Just making some last minute revisions to my application.

JoNo

Legendary Member
Jan 28, 2019

I agree with Amir, they are still processing all applications. My mate applied in October and just heard back recently with an AC invite. Patience is definitely key! Good luck

Reactions: ComplianceChange
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.