Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y

Star Member
Future Trainee
Sep 26, 2019
Has anyone heard back from freshfields?
I did my watson glaser in october and haven't heard anything back yet but I know someone from my uni who has

Camilla

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    Just for a rejection from DLA :') A bit disappointed and worried I won't be getting anything at all. 2nd rejection of this cycle but onwards and upwards

I feel your pain but we are all in the same boat. Some people get TC's quickly but I think that is the exception rather than the rule.

As Alice said the other day, a partner she spoke to said the more rejections the trainee has had, the better they are when they actually land a TC.

Take each rejection as a chance to reflect and take a hard look at your application to see where you might have fallen down. It may not even be your application per se, rather what the firm was looking for from a future trainee (competency/experience/personality).

FutureCity

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Dec 23, 2018
    Doe anyone know if Hogan Lovells screens the application questions before sending the WG invite?

This is my exact question. I submitted my application yesterday around 3:00 PM, and received a WG invite today at 11:23 AM. If it were automatic, without a person reviewing your application, then the invite should have come earlier than that. But it is also surprising if they were able to review my application so quickly.

According to their website:

The process for all insight events, campus ambassadors, vacation schemes and training contracts is similar. Do well at each stage we’ll invite you to the next.

1. Online application form

2. Online critical thinking test

3. An assessment day (unless you’re applying for an insight day) that includes another critical thinking test plus face-to-face interviews

So it is possible that you must be reviewed and "invited" to the next stage. I am most likely reading too much into it.

Lawyerwithadream

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 8, 2019
    Has anyone heard back from freshfields?
    I did my watson glaser in october and haven't heard anything back yet but I know someone from my uni who has
    Was it for the direct TC? They dont recruit on a rolling basis for the TC. Today is the official deadline, so I would assume any communication will happen from tomorrow onwards.

D

Deleted member 2707

I feel your pain but we are all in the same boat. Some people get TC's quickly but I think that is the exception rather than the rule.

As Alice said the other day, a partner she spoke to said the more rejections the trainee has had, the better they are when they actually land a TC.

Take each rejection as a chance to reflect and take a hard look at your application to see where you might have fallen down. It may not even be your application per se, rather what the firm was looking for from a future trainee (competency/experience/personality).

Hi Camilla, thank you so much for your kind words. They honestly do mean a lot. It's just been pretty difficult seeing everyone in my cohort score a TC/VS with me having no success. Best of luck to you for your applications and I hope it turns out well!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Camilla

ComplianceChange

Legendary Member
    May 16, 2019
    What did it actually involve? I am going to do mine tomorrow but don’t understand what to expect!

There is three sections: one is ranking what you look for and need in a role, two is a bunch of simple flash games but beware they're quite tough, and the third is reading pictures of random faces and assigning them to scenarios and emotions. Positively awful testing haha. I have surely failed mine but good luck to you!

Jay-Lo

Distinguished Member
    Jan 21, 2019
    No still waiting to hear back, though I submitted my application in December - quite close to the deadline. Separately, is anyone else unable to access the HSF application portal?

Thanks for letting me know, I submitted mine in November and still haven’t anything. I’m sure we will hear soon. Good luck :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Aminata
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.