Commercial Awareness - Silver Circle Firms

MrSoprano

Standard Member
Jan 8, 2020
Hi guys,

Got an AC soon for one of the silver circle firms. The firm has strong practice areas in corporate, private client and private equity.

I'm finding it challenging to pick out a news story that would have relevance to one of the practice areas above, and subsequently to that firms' clients.

Please can someone offer their advice, I would really appreciate it.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi guys,

Got an AC soon for one of the silver circle firms. The firm has strong practice areas in corporate, private client and private equity.

I'm finding it challenging to pick out a news story that would have relevance to one of the practice areas above, and subsequently to that firms' clients.

Please can someone offer their advice, I would really appreciate it.

If this is for the typical 'tell me about a business news story that interests you?' question, there's no need to do this. I'd suggest choosing a commercial story that genuinely interests you (and ideally, one that you've been following). You're far more likely to show interest and handle follow up questions that way.

Reactions: Abstruser

MrSoprano

Standard Member
    Jan 8, 2020
    Thanks for your reply, Jaysen.

I wish that were the question.

On the open day, we were told that we should prepare by having a business story that relates to the firms' clients or the implications that it may have on the firms' work.

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    I totally agree with Jaysen. You should pick a news story that genuinely interests you, not least because you'll come off as more engaged but also because it'll be easier to handle follow-up questions. The risk of picking a story that is neither familiar nor interesting to you is that follow-up questions may stray into an area that you have absolutely no interest or knowledge about, which I don't think would come across that well in an interview.

I wouldn't say it is strictly necessary to show a link to the firm's particular strengths in private client and/or private equity unless you already have a specific story in mind. As long as you can link it back broadly to commercial law (practically all City law firms will have corporate and finance departments) I think that would be enough to show a link/impact on the firm's clients and business.

Just as a broad starting point, when you're reading a news story, it might help to think about the impact on these departments:
    • Corporate
    • Finance (PE is under here)
    • Litigation / Disputes
    • Commercial (contracts)
    • Real Estate
    • IP
    • Property
    • Tax

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.