Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank

Valued Member
Dec 12, 2018
I did a VI for W&C and really messed up one question so I panicked and turned off my WiFi connection - of course when I reconnected it it just sent the half-finished answer and I felt so stupid - still somehow managed to get through though!!

My respect for this, but the more I hear about these stories, the more I am thinking what's happening in the recruiters' heads lol; I mean, it's obvious that if someone gets through the next stage he/she "deserves" it (open to interpretation), but it contradicts the things HR's dep is looking for, e.g. confidence and whatever. I had myself interviews when I sat in silence for seconds and passed through - and am still wondering how it happened

• Dislike
Reactions: A4991

FutureCity

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
My respect for this, but the more I hear about these stories, the more I am thinking what's happening in the recruiters' heads lol; I mean, it's obvious that if someone gets through the next stage he/she "deserves" it (open to interpretation), but it contradicts the things HR's dep is looking for, e.g. confidence and whatever. I had myself interviews when I sat in silence for seconds and passed through - and am still wondering how it happened

It just goes to prove they are looking for different qualities that what some people may perceive. Just because you paused a bit during a 1 minute long video interview, doesn't mean you lack confidence or any of the other qualities they are looking for. Neither does giving a perfect VI performance mean they'll take you in. It's a crapshoot, but you just have do the best you can.

Frank

Valued Member
Dec 12, 2018
It just goes to prove they are looking for different qualities that what some people may perceive. Just because you paused a bit during a 1 minute long video interview, doesn't mean you lack confidence or any of the other qualities they are looking for. Neither does giving a perfect VI performance mean they'll take you in. It's a crapshoot, but you just have do the best you can.

agree with you :)

Asmee DC

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jan 17, 2019
Rejected from Pinsent Masons post psychometric test. They were my #1 firm for a while, and I'm kind of frustrated/upset with firms using psychometric tests to cut applicants out. I personally think it's unfair because it doesn't reflect true qualities of what a good solicitor is/could be. Any words of encouragement could help!

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
Rejected from Pinsent Masons post psychometric test. They were my #1 firm for a while, and I'm kind of frustrated/upset with firms using psychometric tests to cut applicants out. I personally think it's unfair because it doesn't reflect true qualities of what a good solicitor is/could be. Any words of encouragement could help!
Really sorry to hear. I completely agree, I find the tests so frustrating especially when you do them after the application stage. If you are going to insist on doing a test, it makes more sense to do them as the first stage rather than after you spend so much time writing your application. I haven't applied to Pinsents but I assume it meant you got through the initial application? If so that's definitely still a great achievement and should give you more confidence for other firms. Regardless, everything will work out the way it's supposed to, just keep on going!

• 🤝
Reactions: Asmee DC

DavidJC

Distinguished Member
Dec 29, 2019
Received the Ashurst test invite after two cycles of torture! The test includes Revelian Values Inventory and Revelian Cognify. Does anyone have any tips?! Thank you so much!
Make sure it's not laggy, it can be really disorientating, you might have to try it on a different browser (I had to), and don't panic or expect to complete everything, just do your best. It's not easy but that's the point. Imo, it's just meant to evaluate how quickly you can think of creative solutions.

Values inventory is a lot more straightforward, it's just ranking what is most important to you. Can be tricky but don't understand "least important" as "unimportant"

Good luck!

Reactions: JoNo

Asmee DC

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jan 17, 2019
Really sorry to hear. I completely agree, I find the tests so frustrating especially when you do them after the application stage. If you are going to insist on doing a test, it makes more sense to do them as the first stage rather than after you spend so much time writing your application. I haven't applied to Pinsents but I assume it meant you got through the initial application? If so that's definitely still a great achievement and should give you more confidence for other firms. Regardless, everything will work out the way it's supposed to, just keep on going!

Thank you! Yeah, they gave the test after the written application so I'm happy about that. I do agree, I wish firms such as Linklaters, if they care more about the psychometric test to either cut out the written application altogether or only let applicants hand in the written application after they've passed.

Reactions: NSinger
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.