Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
A white & case rejection :( (by the way it was in my junk mail). Feeling a bit demotivated because so far I haven’t passed the first stage of any of my applications and it makes me feel like a failure! Feel like a lot of time has been wasted but oh well I guess :( I don’t know how people stay positive throughout this experience!
It's so hard and I understand you feeling really disheartened. Truth is that nearly everyone you come across on TCLA has been or still is in your position. The whole process is a very steep curve and it is only by sheer determination and knowing that this is what you want that you will keep going. Reach out to everyone here, as we are all in this together. Take time out when you feel low and come back with fresh eyes and think objectively about your applications. Have you shared your apps with anyone who might be able to give you some advice? I'm not suggesting they are not good enough but sometimes another person's perspective can help. What stage are you at in the process? Are you still studying? Take care

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
It's so hard and I understand you feeling really disheartened. Truth is that nearly everyone you come across on TCLA has been or still is in your position. The whole process is a very steep curve and it is only by sheer determination and knowing that this is what you want that you will keep going. Reach out to everyone here, as we are all in this together. Take time out when you feel low and come back with fresh eyes and think objectively about your applications. Have you shared your apps with anyone who might be able to give you some advice? I'm not suggesting they are not good enough but sometimes another person's perspective can help though. What stage are you at in the process? Are you still studying? Take care
Thank you so much! I would love to give my app to another person to read, I might have a look to see who can review mine because I do think something is missing maybe. Yes I am in my last year of my non-law undergrad so my first cycle, it’s definitely reassuring that loads of other people are in the same boat! I think one of the reasons why I was disheartened because two of my friends were successful in their first cycle for various law firms and I am comparing myself to them thanks for your kind words :) I will definitely try and get an app review

J32

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Apr 4, 2019
Thank you so much! I would love to give my app to another person to read, I might have a look to see who can review mine because I do think something is missing maybe. Yes I am in my last year of my non-law undergrad so my first cycle, it’s definitely reassuring that loads of other people are in the same boat! I think one of the reasons why I was disheartened because two of my friends were successful in their first cycle for various law firms and I am comparing myself to them thanks for your kind words :) I will definitely try and get an app review

I think it's important to remember that it's so easy to compare yourself to others and get disheartened. So many people, even partners at some of the best firms in the City (e.g. Latham, White & Case), struggled for a few years to get a TC when they applied! And I echo Helena's point - having a fresh pair of eyes really breakdown your entire application is the best way forward.

• 🤝
Reactions: Alice G, M1999 and Helena

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
Whatever you do don't compare yourself, though I know how hard that is. This is your journey and you are the one that matters, not them. Very few people are successful first time round. Seriously. Reflect and you will grow with the process.

• 🤝
Reactions: Ifmhouse4, J32 and M1999

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I’d be more than happy to take a look at your app and mark it up for you with some comments if you’d like :) it may have to be after Thursday because I’m a bit up to my eyeballs in prep and with an illness (my immune system does this every time :D) but don’t hesitate to send it over to me and will look as soon as feasibly possible!

• 🤝
Reactions: Jaysen and Helena

Camilla

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    A white & case rejection :( (by the way it was in my junk mail). Feeling a bit demotivated because so far I haven’t passed the first stage of any of my applications and it makes me feel like a failure! Feel like a lot of time has been wasted but oh well I guess :( I don’t know how people stay positive throughout this experience!

I also think it is important to pick the right firm. If you have a convincing narrative as to why you have chosen them, and why they should choose you, it becomes a lot easier to write a good application that can get you past the first round.

Have you thought about which firms to apply to carefully based on their strengths in areas that interest you? I found in my first round that I would pick a firm I liked the look of/sound of, and then try to bend my interests to fit the firm, which clearly did not convince anyone!

Reactions: Ifmhouse4 and J32

JoNo

Legendary Member
    Jan 28, 2019
    Hi - sorry to hear of the rejection. I’m sure you’ll hear good news soon. May I ask was this for the spring or summer vacation scheme?

LuLa

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Nov 28, 2019

Hey, I'm really sorry to hear you feel like this. I only got rejections in my first and second cycle but this year it all worked out for me, so you just have to keep going!
    I would be very happy to read over whatever app you want to send as I usually got to interview stage :)

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    I also think it is important to pick the right firm. If you have a convincing narrative as to why you have chosen them, and why they should choose you, it becomes a lot easier to write a good application that can get you past the first round.

Have you thought about which firms to apply to carefully based on their strengths in areas that interest you? I found in my first round that I would pick a firm I liked the look of/sound of, and then try to bend my interests to fit the firm, which clearly did not convince anyone!
    Hello, thanks for the feedback! :) I definitely picked a few that I wasn't 100% interested in, but White & Case really stood out to me because I met with them at a law fair, and I spent a year abroad during my degree so I really wanted that international secondment haha! To be fair though, there's probably a thousand other candidates who have a year abroad as well to offer so I definitely need to work on trying to convince them to choose me!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Camilla

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    I’d be more than happy to take a look at your app and mark it up for you with some comments if you’d like :) it may have to be after Thursday because I’m a bit up to my eyeballs in prep and with an illness (my immune system does this every time :D) but don’t hesitate to send it over to me and will look as soon as feasibly possible!
    Wow thank you so much! This is really kind. I will send it over to you right away, thank you so much! I really appreciate it.

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Hey, I'm really sorry to hear you feel like this. I only got rejections in my first and second cycle but this year it all worked out for me, so you just have to keep going!
    I would be very happy to read over whatever app you want to send as I usually got to interview stage :)
    Thank you! I would love to send this over to you! So happy you have succeeded in this round and I wish you the best:)

Faye

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 3, 2018

I've had a very similar experience. In my first cycle, all my applications were rejected at the application stage, then in the second I got some video interviews, tests and one in-person interview but still no offers. Things finally worked out this year (my third cycle)! :) So I hope you guys can see the progression there haha.

@maddie34567 and everyone else who would like the help - I currently have a bit of free time, so my PMs are open if anyone would like a second opinion on an application, or just wants some advice/to chat :)

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019

Hi LuLa, congratulations!

If you have the time and are willing (and haven't done something similar already!), I am sure people would love to hear your story over on this thread: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/training-contract-success-stories.1404/

Reactions: LuLa
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.