Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

bethbristol

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Oct 30, 2019
In Travers' defence, they are a 3 person team who reads over 2,000 applications per year for vac schemes and TCs... that said, every other firm seems to manage to at least give you an update and run ACs in January etc. ...

I think the issue here is it seems to be taking quite a snooty approach. If they’ve know they struggle with a 3 person team then they should hire some more, people spend so much time writing applications that they will be severely put off applying again if they can’t even be bothered to reject!! I know they clearly don’t worry about that but says a lot about the firm yanno

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Meh, I say employ more people.
    I think the issue here is it seems to be taking quite a snooty approach. If they’ve know they struggle with a 3 person team then they should hire some more, people spend so much time writing applications that they will be severely put off applying again if they can’t even be bothered to reject!! I know they clearly don’t worry about that but says a lot about the firm yanno
    Haha I do not disagree at all, apparently maternity leave has hit them pretty hard the last couple of years but then as you say, surely you just hire more people??? Guess GradRec is a lower priority there than most other firms...

JayB

Legendary Member
    May 16, 2019
    Regarding DLA Piper: I applied in the beginning of November and since have emailed their GR twice, both occasions they said you will hear back within the 2 weeks. So when they respond back to you saying that, that’s utter nonsense. Because I’m still yet to hear back from them. I should of heard back mid-November/beginning of December :mad:

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    Regarding DLA Piper: I applied in the beginning of November and since have emailed their GR twice, both occasions they said you will hear back within the 2 weeks. So when they respond back to you saying that, that’s utter nonsense. Because I’m still yet to hear back from them. I should of heard back mid-November/beginning of December :mad:
    Very frustrating. Did they notice they already told you it would be two weeks or it was the exact same email when you asked the second time?

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    Hi all,

Was wondering whether I got some guidance please...

I'm a 2018 Law Grad. I've been applying here and there. Last year, I got 3 ACs (2 SC and 1 MC) which was amazing since I had never gotten past the application process.

This year I submitted a few but spent a lot of time on one. Had 1 AC (MC firm) but was declined.

From all my feedback, I've been told my competency is fine but its the commercial case study that probably needs more work. My most recent AC told me that I was so close to the offer.

Kinda losing hope now given that I've been to lucky be interviewed with 4 amazing firms and I've been declined all 4 times. Any tips on what I should do and what I should do next? Sort of ran out of steam too so would really appreciate any insights, guidance, motivations and anyone else in the same position

JayB

Legendary Member
    May 16, 2019
    Very frustrating. Did they notice they already told you it would be two weeks or it was the exact same email when you asked the second time?

That’s the point they never even noticed I sent the email before, and I made sure it was within a chain!! They literally just said the same thing you’ll hear back in the next two weeks, our team are working hard to get back to all applicants blah blah... honestly says a lot about a firm!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

:D

if only getting approval to hire more people to do the job/join the recruitment team was THAT simple!

Every GR team I have worked in has been vastly under resourced in terms of team size.

If anything GR teams are constantly having to prove they couldn’t cope with a reduction in headcount in their team, rather than requesting more of them.

Reactions: bethbristol

bethbristol

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Oct 30, 2019
    :D

if only getting approval to hire more people to do the job/join the recruitment team was THAT simple!

Every GR team I have worked in has been vastly under resourced in terms of team size.

If anything GR teams are constantly having to prove they couldn’t cope with a reduction in headcount in their team, rather than requesting more of them.

haha I realise I’m taking a very idealistic approach here!! :D

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    DLA Piper told me exactly two weeks ago that we should hear our result within two weeks. Hopefully anyone who hasn't heard will hear today

I haven noticed a few people have asked DLA this and their answer is always two weeks but people still haven't heard back! I know someone who asked in November and still hasn't hear back !

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Haha I do not disagree at all, apparently maternity leave has hit them pretty hard the last couple of years but then as you say, surely you just hire more people??? Guess GradRec is a lower priority there than most other firms...

This is one of the major issues with Grad Rec - employees are predominately female! Lots of maternity leaves or people leaving the industry, as ultimately juggling a family and travelling around the UK/working late at night don't really compliment each other well.

When someone leaves a GR team, all their knowledge and experience leaves with it which slows down processes significantly. For reference during my time at FBD I worked with 22 different people in 4 years in Graduate Recruitment - the turn over was crazy! Every time someone left, you have to invest in training up new members of staff to the very specific requirements of legal graduate recruitment and the firm's specific ways. That always slowed the process down.... :(

All of that craziness is why my business is successful :D

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    haha I realise I’m taking a very idealistic approach here!! :D

If you are not a fee earning part of the business, it is very difficult to get additional headcount (especially at the moment) - but that is not unique to law, that happens in any industry.

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
    Jul 29, 2018
    Hi all,

Was wondering whether I got some guidance please...

I'm a 2018 Law Grad. I've been applying here and there. Last year, I got 3 ACs (2 SC and 1 MC) which was amazing since I had never gotten past the application process.

This year I submitted a few but spent a lot of time on one. Had 1 AC (MC firm) but was declined.

From all my feedback, I've been told my competency is fine but its the commercial case study that probably needs more work. My most recent AC told me that I was so close to the offer.

Kinda losing hope now given that I've been to lucky be interviewed with 4 amazing firms and I've been declined all 4 times. Any tips on what I should do and what I should do next? Sort of ran out of steam too so would really appreciate any insights, guidance, motivations and anyone else in the same position

Hello, I can totally relate to this! I also understand how you feel about running out of steam, especially when you get so close to the offer, but you end up missing the offer by such a slim margin. It happened to me too, when I was declined by several firms after the AC stage. It's normal to feel exhausted, especially as it's easy to think you're back on square 1 and that you'll have to start applying all over again after you've gotten past so many stages in the application process.

However, just remember you're not back on square 1 - every AC and case study is helping you get better over time. The fact that you're getting interviews means that you're good enough. With regards to commercial case studies, I've learnt that commercial awareness is something which you can't gain overnight. It's very much incremental. My commercial awareness was awful in my first interview, but I was commended for it in my later interviews.

These are the resources which I've found useful in helping with commercial case studies:

1. TCLA Premium
    2. Finimize
    3. TCLA's commercial awareness updates
    4. Bright Network's commercial awareness updates

All the best!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.