Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

NourJ

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Jan 1, 2020
So I’ve done the Skadden phone interview. It really literally is just questions about your application (work experience etc), why Skadden, transferable skills and a recent commercial issue (I just used the one I’ve used on other apps).

Best way to prepare would probably be just to go over your app and your commercial topic. Hope that helps!

Did they ask you to talk about a recent commercial issue in general? or did they ask about a commercial issue in specific? and in terms of transferable skills, did they ask you questions like "tell us about a time you worked in a team?"

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I 100% agree with you, but sometimes I think whether this should prioritise the fact that we need to pay off our tuition fees, need money, must qualify, and do other things in other to potentially change our career in the future hahaha
I guess it’s up to you. I’m working full time whilst trying to establish myself in this career path (with respect to your point about fees and money as I may well have to fund my GDL too) which certainly isn’t easy but I am also making the personal choice to try to ensure I will be happy in the long run. I guess it’s very subjective and depends on you as an individual and I didn’t mean to cause any offence or controversy in my comment but it’s just a friendly reminder that right now it’s overwhelming and I really feel that too but this is a long career path and I’m just trying to share that it’s important to ensure you’re happy :)

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
"Dechert is frequently retained to work on the most challenging matters, and prides itself on its ability to deliver premium legal services and sound business judgment to its clients. In your opinion, other than the above, what are the three key reasons why our clients instruct us? (250)"

Anyone got any tips on how to answer this question? Thank you :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
"Dechert is frequently retained to work on the most challenging matters, and prides itself on its ability to deliver premium legal services and sound business judgment to its clients. In your opinion, other than the above, what are the three key reasons why our clients instruct us? (250)"

Anyone got any tips on how to answer this question? Thank you :)
I would talk about ways in which clients expect their lawyers to be striving for greater diversity and to be socially responsible, you could talk about business pragmatism and maybe strategic growth and focus in key markets where clients might be looking to operate and the third could be about competitive pricing and different ways of billing clients in line with their evolving expectations.

just the initial ideas that came to mind but try to pick ones that are even more niche and unique as these could be quite common!

• 🏆
Reactions: Holly

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Did anyone go to a Links Open Day this cycle or anything and, if so, would you possibly be prepared to share any notes or insights? I wouldn't usually ask because I tend to apply to firms when I have met them at such events but Links have been the only ones I have not met properly. Any tips or pointers would be very welcome :)

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
Should I be worried if a firm(that I did a first year scheme with) is giving interviews to people who applied later to me? Just really nerve racking...

Also, Linklaters have not even given me a "under review email" lool.... eek

Congrats to those who got AC's tho!
Same! Want a little under review email for encouragement.

Gunner07

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 12, 2018
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any advice on the video interview for Eversheds Sutherland? I understand it's a strength based interview, so just nervous as I am not sure what sort of questions to expect.

In the briefing document they have mentioned that the first question will ask about why have you applied for VS/TC, to gauge our motivations. Would this be a question more about why are you motivated to secure a VS or why this firm?

Would really appreciate some thoughts on these :)

Mariya

Nov 30, 2019
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any advice on the video interview for Eversheds Sutherland? I understand it's a strength based interview, so just nervous as I am not sure what sort of questions to expect.

In the briefing document they have mentioned that the first question will ask about why have you applied for VS/TC, to gauge our motivations. Would this be a question more about why are you motivated to secure a VS or why this firm?

Would really appreciate some thoughts on these :)
I am also curious to hear an answer. Doing my VI tomorrow.

Reactions: Camilla

PhoebeL

Esteemed Member
Jan 7, 2020
Just got my 2nd "under review" email application from Links..... I'm a bit concerned because I didn't get my Capp assessment feedback automatically and when I spoke to Grad Recruitment they couldn't see it on my file *upside down smiley emoji*

Reactions: M0723

JKs

Feb 24, 2019
Just got my 2nd "under review" email application from Links..... I'm a bit concerned because I didn't get my Capp assessment feedback automatically and when I spoke to Grad Recruitment they couldn't see it on my file *upside down smiley emoji*

That's strange! Myself and a few friends all received our CAPP feedback report exactly 24 hrs after we completed the test. It should be automated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.