Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

AH9891

Valued Member
Jan 11, 2020
Unless you are getting some kind of financial incentive for the first firm or there is something in either the contract/offer letter in either the TC or SVS offer that says you can have other employment, you could just hold on to your current offer and then renege if you got your first choice

That’s my issue. I already study for the GDL, part-time, so won’t finish until summer 2021. They would take over the payment, so I’m not sure what the right thing is in the situation.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
So could this be a totally innocent question with no "preferred" answer? I did the GDL and it would have never occurred to me to apply for TCs in my second year (law simply wasn't on my radar) but even my friends who did LLBs and applied in their second year did so primarily for visa reasons or because it was the expected and accepted route to take, and perhaps because waiting until 3rd year or later could be seen as dawdling or being unsure about what to do with your life (whereas I've always seen it as the exact opposite, i.e. not rushing into anything but figuring out what you really want to do and gain experience in the meantime)

Yes - that’s exactly what it is. It’s just an opportunity to explore then when’s and why’s of how someone got to this point.

Reactions: EvaK

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
That’s my issue. I already study for the GDL, part-time, so won’t finish until summer 2021. They would take over the payment, so I’m not sure what the right thing is in the situation.

then ask to transfer to a TC application. Be prepared for them to say no, or for you to still not get a decision from you first choice before you need to decide though.

• ℹ️
Reactions: AH9891

Ben1897

Jan 20, 2020
I never said it’s a “terrible” firm as a whole, just their approach to interviewing is “terrible”. As this isn’t the first time I’ve heard Jones Day ask this question, my friend also received this question and is just a fresh graduate so that makes no sense. @Sha'i

I also had a pretty horrendous experience interviewing there, so their interviewers asking that question doesn't surprise me at all. Of course, the experience I had was partly down to lack of preparation on my part for some pretty unusual (and completely unexpected) questions, but it's by far the most alienated and uncomfortable I've ever felt in an interview in my life. The subsequent rejection email I received was expected and, to top it all off, they don't offer any feedback to applicants interviewing. Shambles.

Note that the above is my own personal experience and I imagine other interviewees have had much more pleasant experiences interviewing there. Since that JD interview, I have had other interviews and ACs, and secured a spring vacation scheme earlier this month.

Ultimately, you may leave an interview feeling worthless and inadequate for this career, but the key is to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and prepare yourself the best you can for the next opportunity. :)

GM

Jan 31, 2020
Anyone heard back from NRF today? Submitted my app on the 23rd, I've read posts this week saying they received rejections as "all spots had been filled" while others have received WG invites...

Happy9099

Jan 31, 2020
Anyone heard back from NRF today? Submitted my app on the 23rd, I've read posts this week saying they received rejections as "all spots had been filled" while others have received WG invites...
I heard around a week ago and I have my phone interview today - but I did submit my application fairly early and I know they just go through them in order so I assume they will tell you soon! :))

GM

Jan 31, 2020
I submitted mine early this week and haven’t heard anything, this is for the summer VS
Yeah same! Thanks anyway, hopefully we will hear back soon. :) This is the last app I am waiting to hear back from, considering all the rest were rejections, I am not too optimistic but I'd like to know for sure so I can stop thinking about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.