Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    When you do your degree, do you only learn the subject my taking mock examinations?

What I am suggesting is that you get your brain used to the type of analytical skills needed to make correct decisions, rather than focusing on how you get correct decisions. The irony is a practice test rarely even tells you whether you are making correct decisions or not though...
    Are there any good ways to 'train your brain'? what would you recommend?

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    Because there is a massive risk that you'd never complete the application form if you were successful, and even if there wasn't that risk, it would then create further delays to the recruitment process while you are 100s of other candidates then complete the application form AFTER you have taken the test.
    I see. But still, why do some firms only read the application if you pass the test, rather than do what many others do and make it part of the same first stage, or invite someone to do the test if the application is successful.

I'm sure there's a justification for it, but it's extremely frustrating to spend hours on an application for it not to be even read!

Reactions: NSinger

Giulia

Dec 4, 2019
    Rejectd from BCLP and Dentons but invited for a phone interview with Baker McKenzie.

I was surprised to know that the interview will be on the phone as I knew it was a video interview instead. Any tips on how to approach it, what kind of questions to prepare or more generally what you think graduate recruiters are looking for at this stage (prior to the AC?).

Thank you,
    Giulia

Miki3999

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    I see. But still, why do some firms only read the application if you pass the test, rather than do what many others do and make it part of the same first stage, or invite someone to do the test if the application is successful.

I'm sure there's a justification for it, but it's extremely frustrating to spend hours on an application for it not to be even read!

To stop the floodgate of apps and make work easier for HR (less apps to read.) Someone has to bear the transaction costs after all. I agree though, it is extremely frustrating for us as applicants.

Aurochschiette

Star Member
    Feb 2, 2020
    I am wondering why some firms make you do an application first and only read it if you pass the test? Why don't they make you do the test first and then give you time to write the application?

This, so hard. Just the hours saved by everyone would be massive.

I could work with a 2 week deadline to write an app, given an invitation after surpassing a benchmark on any kind of test.

I could deal with an earlier timeline too. The ROI on apps would be so much better as an applicant.

Reactions: Serah O

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Put frankly, they haven't got the time or resource to read every application in the timeframes required. I regularly used to read about 6-8 MILLION words of applications each recruitment cycle, and have to mark and assess each form. That is crazy intense and so sometimes you have to make decisions to make the process efficient rather than thorough. If you choose thoroughness over efficiency, there is a risk you lose candidates to your competitors who have a quicker recruitment process than you.

On the flip side, why many firms will screen applications first before inviting them to the online assessment is predominately down to cost. These tests aren't cheap! And so if you can ensure you cut out everyone is clearly isn't going to be suitable first (e.g. not eligible, doesn't meet minimum criteria, has a really bad application form), you will save the firm a fair bit of money.

I wouldn't assume that because firms screen applications first and then invite people to test that the system is fairer. I have seen this in practice, and have seen some exceptionally questionable approaches to cut the numbers down before testing.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I could work with a 2 week deadline to write an app, given an invitation after surpassing a benchmark on any kind of test.

I could deal with an earlier timeline too. The ROI on apps would be so much better as an applicant.

This is why some organisations do have this approach though. One of my current clients has a system where you register your basic details, then do an SJT, and then complete the application form if you are successful.

Although in many ways it is fairer to the candidates and they "waste" less time, it does make the process more drawn out. Also the more individual stages you put in, the more people will not complete the recruitment process. Recruiters will regularly lose somewhere between 20-40% of candidates through non-completion rates at each stage.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Aurochschiette

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

The 2 week deadline is often too long unfortunately....

Reality is you give everyone a 2 week deadline post test to complete their application, you'll probably have to give some extensions, and possibly even have to do a chaser email to remind people who haven't completed and then give them an additional deadline. That means it is extended to 4-6 weeks.

And then you have to review the applications as quickly as possible.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Really interesting catching up on these lively debates guys! I did a WG for FF Friday and VERY worried since my headspace wasn’t great- it is worrying when a 30 minute test can make or break an opportunity. I’ve also found some question sets to be much harder so luck absolutely plays a role in it. I know this is a classic ‘me’ thing to say and doesn’t give much by way of tangible help, but all you can do is your best. Use the time you have to check answers and really read the instructions for each sub-set of the WG. I always remember on my first one for CC it says on the title page how the test is not trying to catch you out, where you feel unsure and can’t apply the logic of that particular section then just try to go with your gut and what you intuitively think is right :)

W

Legendary Member
    May 12, 2019
    Rejectd from BCLP and Dentons but invited for a phone interview with Baker McKenzie.

I was surprised to know that the interview will be on the phone as I knew it was a video interview instead. Any tips on how to approach it, what kind of questions to prepare or more generally what you think graduate recruiters are looking for at this stage (prior to the AC?).

Thank you,
    Giulia
    Hi Giulia, sorry to hear re BCLP was that for direct or VS? Good luck btw re your phone interview

Corporatepal

Sep 20, 2019

Thank you,
    Giulia

What scheme is the Baker McKenzie one for? Maybe they're doing phone because its instant and they're running out of time, whereas video interviews give you 7 days to complete.

Aurochschiette

Star Member
    Feb 2, 2020
    This is why some organisations do have this approach though. One of my current clients has a system where you register your basic details, then do an SJT, and then complete the application form if you are successful.

Although in many ways it is fairer to the candidates and they "waste" less time, it does make the process more drawn out. Also the more individual stages you put in, the more people will not complete the recruitment process. Recruiters will regularly lose somewhere between 20-40% of candidates through non-completion rates at each stage.

Oh, I can see the disincentive in using this process from the employer's perspective. As an applicant, it's more of a pie in the sky wish than anything else. Beggars can't be choosers and all that, eh?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Oh, I can see the disincentive in using this process from the employer's perspective. As an applicant, it's more of a pie in the sky wish than anything else. Beggars can't be choosers and all that, eh?

I think if things were really stable and you had set out timelines that didn't have to move, it would be more feasible. But recruitment is always about the unreliability of people :))) and timeframes always have to be really fluid, which in turn makes people even less reliable (and by people I mean recruiters, business line staff and candidates!).

I am one of the biggest critics of the flaws in recruitment systems, but there are some things happening on the technology side that make all of this easier.

But just think, at least you don't have to write hand-written applications these days. It wasn't that long ago, some of the big names were still relying on hand-written applications. And I bet even back then, people with nice hand-writing would charge you a fee to write it for you!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.