Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tcapplicant

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2019
I haven't heard yet either, on their website they say they read every application until the deadline, so hopefully they are still considering us. When did you apply?
I’m in the exact same position. Applied in November and not heard a thing since. Seen on the forum someone has been offered a vac scheme (which is incredible!) but a lot of people left in limbo.

Rfn38

Aug 1, 2019
Sorry to hear this but you're clearly doing well to have improved!!
Did they provide you with a reason for rejection?

No, it was just a standard rejection, the funny thing is I applied for the TC last year, which should be harder to get through as they mainly recruit through the VS. Although they encourage people to apply again, the fact that I failed in the phone interview stage last year might have something to do with it.

• 🤝
Reactions: ZH

AH9891

Valued Member
Jan 11, 2020
What are everyone’s thoughts on giving advice on case study/what to expect during an AC vs giving away all the questions one has been asked and all the detail away for the case study? During my last AC, the other three people there started writing down their answers to the case study before they had even seen it and I’ve been approached by some people here that know the case study down to the percentages that came up and could be calculated. I’ve always been more than happy to help with general advice, but don’t think it’s fair to give out in-depth details as it likely severely decreases the number of candidates a firm might see if people perform well purely because of knowing all the questions and the case study (obviously this isn’t true for everyone, but it was the case during my AC). Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Camilla

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    For anyone who applied to RPC, how long was it before you got an invitation to the tests?

It was only a couple of days before I got the VRT and I applied on the deadline. I completed my test a few weeks ago and I have a feeling that I am going to be rejected. Silence usually means rejection from my experience this year and last year with RPC.

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    What are everyone’s thoughts on giving advice on case study/what to expect during an AC vs giving away all the questions one has been asked and all the detail away for the case study? During my last AC, the other three people there started writing down their answers to the case study before they had even seen it and I’ve been approached by some people here that know the case study down to the percentages that came up and could be calculated. I’ve always been more than happy to help with general advice, but don’t think it’s fair to give out in-depth details as it likely severely decreases the number of candidates a firm might see if people perform well purely because of knowing all the questions and the case study (obviously this isn’t true for everyone, but it was the case during my AC). Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'm inclined to agree!

• 🏆
    Reactions: nymi

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
    Jun 12, 2019
    I agree.. but honestly speaking.. this is never going to stop. I think people who go to ACs and do well seem to want to help everyone as much as they can. Which means part of the competition has now become “getting the info “. So I think sometimes people also have to do the best they can in terms of trying to get this info if they want to be competitive. It’s not a pretty world out there. It’s really hard.. I think everyone does what they can to help people regardless of how fair it is.

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019

I agree! It's also quite problematic for those who don't know people who have reached AC in that cycle (this may especially be the case if you are from a non Russel Group uni). The solution to this would be for each AC to have different case study materials/facts, but I believe a lack of resources for HR makes this difficult.

I am sorry to hear that was your experience during that AC, I really hope that didn't knock your confidence, although completely understandable if it did.

Demna87

Distinguished Member
    Aug 23, 2018

Sorry that this happened, I can’t imagine how frustrating that must have been. When stuff like this happens I just try to think that if it were me, even though I really want a TC at my ideal firm (like everyone else), if I got it through cheating I don’t think it’d feel like as much of an accomplishment and I wouldn’t want to begin my career with that. I hope to maintain my integrity by the end of this process! These people on the other hand aren’t off to a good start...

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
    Jun 12, 2019
    To
    Sorry that this happened, I can’t imagine how frustrating that must have been. When stuff like this happens I just try to think that if it were me, even though I really want a TC at my ideal firm (like everyone else), if I got it through cheating I don’t think it’d feel like as much of an accomplishment and I wouldn’t want to begin my career with that. I hope to maintain my integrity by the end of this process! These people on the other hand aren’t off to a good start...
    say this is cheating is a bit of a stretch..
    what is the difference between this.. and telling someone the questions you were asked at an interview. They’re both part of the assessment. However, it seems to be that people feel it’s perfectly fine to ask “what questions do so & so ask on their interview “ or “what questions do so & so ask on their video interview ?”.. come on .. Literally search this forum there is loads of content in regards to this and I am very sure a lot of people have benefitted from that info.

So I think honestly.. it’s a hard world out there.. If your integrity will let you ask for interview or video interview questions.. I don’t see why it should stop you from asking for case-study questions. Bear in mind that’s literally just one part of an AC anyways.

AH9891

Valued Member
    Jan 11, 2020

I agree! It's also quite problematic for those who don't know people who have reached AC in that cycle (this may especially be the case if you are from a non Russel Group uni). The solution to this would be for each AC to have different case study materials/facts, but I believe a lack of resources for HR makes this difficult.

I am sorry to hear that was your experience during that AC, I really hope that didn't knock your confidence, although completely understandable if it did.

Thanks so much for the kind words. That’s exactly what it was, they all went to uni together. I suppose the firm tells everyone during the AC that information is confidential and not to be disclosed, considering discretion and confidentiality is such a huge part of being a lawyer they maybe assume that candidates treat it in the same way they would treat actual work.

I was lucky to having had my AC really early on, but I just see so many other people that haven’t heard back yet and then are rejected by firms right before the AC because all places have been filled. I’m not suggesting in any way that anyone who makes it onto a scheme doesn’t deserve to be on it, I just wonder how many of those that have had privileged information would have not made it had the playing field been more level...

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Thanks so much for the kind words. That’s exactly what it was, they all went to uni together. I suppose the firm tells everyone during the AC that information is confidential and not to be disclosed, considering discretion and confidentiality is such a huge part of being a lawyer they maybe assume that candidates treat it in the same way they would treat actual work.

I was lucky to having had my AC really early on, but I just see so many other people that haven’t heard back yet and then are rejected by firms right before the AC because all places have been filled. I’m not suggesting in any way that anyone who makes it onto a scheme doesn’t deserve to be on it, I just wonder how many of those that have had privileged information would have not made it had the playing field been more level...
    I do appreciate this debate and the issue for me in terms of D&I is that candidates from univerisities who don't have campus events etc probably have less access to information about the ACs even more generally, let alone having insight into the details of a case study based peers' experiences. All I can say is, regurgitating the points of others is by no means original and actually in having an inflated confidence in your knowledge i think you are less likely to pick up on nuances and the smaller details.

AH9891

Valued Member
    Jan 11, 2020
    To

say this is cheating is a bit of a stretch..
    what is the difference between this.. and telling someone the questions you were asked at an interview. They’re both part of the assessment. However, it seems to be that people feel it’s perfectly fine to ask “what questions do so & so ask on their interview “ or “what questions do so & so ask on their video interview ?”.. come on .. Literally search this forum there is loads of content in regards to this and I am very sure a lot of people have benefitted from that info.

So I think honestly.. it’s a hard world out there.. If your integrity will let you ask for interview or video interview questions.. I don’t see why it should stop you from asking for case-study questions. Bear in mind that’s literally just one part of an AC anyways.

That’s exactly my point though. Doesn’t matter if VI, telephone interview or any part of the AC, there’s a difference between talking about expectations (prepare for standard competency based questions and know your CV) and specifics (why commercial law and what differentiates us from our competitors that makes you want to work for us?) and particularly giving away the latter disadvantages people applying to firms that are rolling who maybe weren’t able to apply at the start because of time constraints such as work, as it likely increases how well you do if you already know exactly what you’ll be asked.

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
    Jun 12, 2019
    That’s exactly my point though. Doesn’t matter if VI, telephone interview or any part of the AC, there’s a difference between talking about expectations (prepare for standard competency based questions and know your CV) and specifics (why commercial law and what differentiates us from our competitors that makes you want to work for us?) and particularly giving away the latter disadvantages people applying to firms that are rolling who maybe weren’t able to apply at the start because of time constraints such as work, as it likely increases how well you do if you already know exactly what you’ll be asked.
    I definitely agree with this point. At this point what would make it a truly level playing field is things like this forum. Honestly, as much as I appreciate you highlighting the issue I also think we can’t stop it. So the best we could maybe might be to even say everything on the forums so everyone can have an equal chance of having access. That’s why there’s literally “interview” experiences on this forum.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.