Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

JayB

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019
Pretty much anything lacking can be a strike.

It might be - depends on the nature of the errors.
The error is I said “thank you” twice in my cover letter, and capitalised University. I’ll probably take that as a rejection then it was a last minute app and I shouldn’t have left it to the last minute

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The error is I said “thank you” twice in my cover letter, and capitalised University. I’ll probably take that as a rejection then it was a last minute app and I shouldn’t have left it to the last minute

the university point is exceptionally minor.

the double thank you will look a bit odd/seem like you are just bulking out the application.

Reactions: JayB

Asmee DC

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jan 17, 2019
Hi Jessica,

If I got rejected from a VS application before the AC, am I still able to apply for the straight TC in the same year? Or do I have to wait until next year again?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

If I got rejected from a VS application before the AC, am I still able to apply for the straight TC in the same year? Or do I have to wait until next year again?

Thanks!

depends on the individual firm’s policy on this. There isn’t a set rule for everyone.

A12345

Dec 18, 2018
Hi Jessica,

Hope you are well! For direct TC applications, do firms lookout for whether the candidate has already undertaken a vacation scheme at a commercial firm? I've been to 10+ open days at commercial firms, but haven't secured a vacation scheme, will this be a significant disadvantage in applying for direct TCs? I do however have experience at a high street firm and lots of business experience.

thank you for your time!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Where would I find information about their policy on this? I guess I can try logging onto the application portal again to try.

the portal won’t necessarily tell you.

just drop them an email/ask their social media pages/ check their FAQs on their website

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Hope you are well! For direct TC applications, do firms lookout for whether the candidate has already undertaken a vacation scheme at a commercial firm? I've been to 10+ open days at commercial firms, but haven't secured a vacation scheme, will this be a significant disadvantage in applying for direct TCs? I do however have experience at a high street firm and lots of business experience.

thank you for your time!

as long as your motivational answers are on point and the rest of your application is strong, I don’t see why you wouldn’t have a good chance.

Firms don’t look for internships really. There’s plenty of people who have internships on their application form who can’t submit a good application.

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    Hi Jessica!!

Could I ask how would you advice approaching this question? "What do you think the role of a lawyer entails?"

Should I assume it as a trainee?

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica!!

Could I ask how would you advice approaching this question? "What do you think the role of a lawyer entails?"

Should I assume it as a trainee?

Thank you!

no I would t just limit to to a trainee, otherwise it would say trainee.

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    Hi Jessica!

I was wondering what things are dealbreakers for AC group tasks? Like what are common mistakes that students often do that result in a rejection?

Thank you :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica!

I was wondering what things are dealbreakers for AC group tasks? Like what are common mistakes that students often do that result in a rejection?

Thank you :)

1) think of it as an assessment rather than a group work task.

2) portray themselves in a manner they think they should rather than how they would normally act

3) forget the objectives of the task

4) try too hard (linked to 1 & 2)

5) forget to use other team members for support

basically there is a lot of rubbish advice out there about group tasks try at make people act in very specific ways. You can see right through it and it comes across as very unnatural. Step away from the advice blogs/articles that tell you how to do well in them and just think about the task itself. Too many people put their efforts into “acting” out the group exercise, that they forget the actual exercise.

Reactions: LawStudent2000

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    1) think of it as an assessment rather than a group work task.

2) portray themselves in a manner they think they should rather than how they would normally act

3) forget the objectives of the task

4) try too hard (linked to 1 & 2)

5) forget to use other team members for support

basically there is a lot of rubbish advice out there about group tasks try at make people act in very specific ways. You can see right through it and it comes across as very unnatural. Step away from the advice blogs/articles that tell you how to do well in them and just think about the task itself. Too many people put their efforts into “acting” out the group exercise, that they forget the actual exercise.

Thank you very much, I will focus on this going forwards. :)

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi Jessica, what is the best thing you can say if you don't know an answer to a question?
    Be honest! If you don't know the answer to something just say you don't know - lawyers are paid to give correct advice so if you start giving a response that you know is a load of rubbish that will come across very badly. I have had plenty of situations in interviews where I haven't known the answer and just being honest has seemed to go down pretty well in my experience!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Be honest! If you don't know the answer to something just say you don't know - lawyers are paid to give correct advice so if you start giving a response that you know is a load of rubbish that will come across very badly. I have had plenty of situations in interviews where I haven't known the answer and just being honest has seemed to go down pretty well in my experience!

Definitely agree with this. For some questions, it makes sense for you to talk through your thought process aloud even if you don’t have the complete right answer. But if it’s a question you just have no idea on, it’s far better to be honest and say you don’t know than to try bluff.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, what is the best thing you can say if you don't know an answer to a question?

Depends on the nature of the question and how badly you don't know the answer. It could be any of the following (and a whole lot more)….:

"I don't know the answer to this, but I would have thought....."

"Please could you explain that a little more..."

"I am unsure, but I think the answer is"

"I don't know much about that subject, whether now or at the end of the interview, I'd be interesting in learning from you to understand what it means though"

"Please can I have some time to think about that and come back to that question later"

"Would you mind if I just take a moment to think about my answer"

"I haven't had the opportunity to gain knowledge about that yet, but it is something I am hoping to learn about in the near future".

Basically the only bad answer is "I don't know" because you cut off your answer there and your interviewer hasn't really got anywhere to go with it. As long as you show a willingness to either give the answer a go (but acknowledge it might not be right) or show a willingness to learn what the answer might be, any other response is ok.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Helena and Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey everyone - I completely forgot I purchased a practice test subscription back in October for another project. I am not using it, so if anyone wants it, happy to donate it to you :).

If more than 1 person is interested, I'll draw a name out of a hat. Let me know by 11.59pm on Tuesday if you are (just "thumbs up" rate this post, and I'll assume you are interested).

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    Depends on the nature of the question and how badly you don't know the answer. It could be any of the following (and a whole lot more)….:

"I don't know the answer to this, but I would have thought....."

"Please could you explain that a little more..."

"I am unsure, but I think the answer is"

"I don't know much about that subject, whether now or at the end of the interview, I'd be interesting in learning from you to understand what it means though"

"Please can I have some time to think about that and come back to that question later"

"Would you mind if I just take a moment to think about my answer"

"I haven't had the opportunity to gain knowledge about that yet, but it is something I am hoping to learn about in the near future".

Basically the only bad answer is "I don't know" because you cut off your answer there and your interviewer hasn't really got anywhere to go with it. As long as you show a willingness to either give the answer a go (but acknowledge it might not be right) or show a willingness to learn what the answer might be, any other response is ok.
    Definitely agree with this. For some questions, it makes sense for you to talk through your thought process aloud even if you don’t have the complete right answer. But if it’s a question you just have no idea on, it’s far better to be honest and say you don’t know than to try bluff.

This is all great, thank you.

And would definitely be interested in the subscription pack @Jessica Booker, thanks so much for offering it.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

Caitlin

Distinguished Member
    Mar 26, 2019
    I have a question regarding mitigating circumstances - my a-levels aren't awful but were definitely below what I was predicted/expecting. My sixth form was created as an extension of my high school, and I was part of the first year-group to attend it - this meant all the teachers had no experience in teaching a-level previously, and as a result the whole year group underperformed I had never considered this a mitigating circumstance before but someone suggested it could be and I wanted to get some guidance as to whether it would be considered seriously, mainly for the purposes of applying to firms with strict A-Level requirements that wouldn't accept me without MC! Should I bother putting this down or not?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.