Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iman

Oct 18, 2019
Hi when's the interview? I have a couple AC's coming up this week but can provide more detailed tips from Thursday evening. If your interview is earlier, I will send over some general tips!

Hi! It's on Tuesday! I would appreciate if you could send over some general tips. Good luck on your AC's!

• 🤝
Reactions: Holly

Nat000

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
  • Feb 14, 2020
    I did a VS at Slaughters last year and I'd say that their conversion rate is pretty high. Only 4 people out of the entire 20+ on my VS didn't get the TC. One thing I will say is the TC interview at the end of the vac is the exact same as the normal TC interview direct applicants do.

Although you're guaranteed the TC interview, you are expected to re-submit an updated CV and a CL through their application portal. (you don't have to change anything if you don't want to but I guess there is an expectation that you will since you now know more about the firm after the VS). And you do the one hour case study just like direct TC applicants do.

Because the scheme is unassessed (i.e. you don't submit work throughout the VS that gets marked by anyone) most of the decision on whether or not you get a TC is based on the case study and final interview. So as long as you perform during those and don't have glaring attitude problems or anything during the scheme, I'd say your chances of conversion are p good.

Do you have to tell them before you start the VS that you'd like a TC interview during it? Or will that be something they speak to you about once you're actually there?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Do you have to tell them before you start the VS that you'd like a TC interview during it? Or will that be something they speak to you about once you're actually there?

I think they assume you'll do the interview at the end of the vac (the last week is basically just interviews) but if you want to do it at a later date then you can just let them know during the VS. I know someone who did their TC interview a month later because she wanted to do it after all her other vacs were done and they were fine with that. So it's completely flexible and definitely don't worry about letting them know in advance before the VS or anything.

Ewan

Feb 16, 2020
    Hey, sorry to ask something that has already been somewhat covered, but I had a Freshfields TC interview on Thursday afternoon and still havent heard anything back. Would that suggest that I havent got it?

Also had Gateley VS last year and they took ages to get back to me about anything.

Reactions: skizzle and JoNo

JoNo

Legendary Member
    Jan 28, 2019
    Hey, sorry to ask something that has already been somewhat covered, but I had a Freshfields TC interview on Thursday afternoon and still havent heard anything back. Would that suggest that I havent got it?

Also had Gateley VS last year and they took ages to get back to me about anything.
    Check PM mate

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

No. It is one working day since your interview. All it would take is for someone to be on annual leave on Friday and the could delay the process.

Reactions: JoNo
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.