What law firm talks have you found useful?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi All,

For our next round of courses, we're looking to get associates and partners involved in teaching you guys about different practice areas within a firm, the challenges facing the legal industry etc.

I'm keen on seeing if any of you have any recommendations - Have you been to a law firm event or open day and found a talk particularly useful? If so, it would be great if you could post below and I'll contact them!

Thanks,

Jaysen

ZH

Esteemed Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Hi Jaysen,

From some of the events I've attended, I enjoyed hearing from the following:
    - BCLP - Mark Richards, Nick Pryor, James Banks
    - HSF - Kushal Bhimjiani, Jamie Ball, Matthew Goff
    - Travers Smith - David Patient
    - CMS - Katie Duffield
    - Ashurst - Donna Fleming

• 🏆
    Reactions: Jaysen

Giulia

Dec 4, 2019
    I attended two BCLP's open days (March 2019 and Nov 2019) and found super useful Nick Pryor's interventions on Innovation and Tech in both of them. He really gives a bigger picture of the impact of IT and he is able to spot the different approaches towards legal innovation among firms!

Reactions: ZH

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018
    @Jaysen

I have been to "HSF - Inside the Headlines", two years in a row. It is usually presented by Barnaby Hinnigan and is a synopsis of two huge deals the firm has completed over the past year. The first year, they covered Sharp v Blank (HBOS/Lloyds) and Comcast/21CF/Sky. It was brilliant. This year they did the FlyBE takeover and the Costa Rica litigation, which was incredibly interesting.

Probably the most technically accessible talk I have been to was by David Adams at Clifford Chance, who presented "A Rough Guide to Finance & Capital Markets". It was excellent. His delivery was excellent. This was the single most useful session I have been to.

Carl Bradshaw's PE session at Kirkland was also exceptional, however, I believe he has now left.

As ever, Chris Stoakes 1hr session about the City is always brilliant. I think I've heard him speak 3 or 4 times at various firms, but I believe he primarily delivers to Hogan Lovells. He does a fantastic job of summarising his book in an hour session.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    @Jaysen

I have been to "HSF - Inside the Headlines", two years in a row. It is usually presented by Barnaby Hinnigan and is a synopsis of two huge deals the firm has completed over the past year. The first year, they covered Sharp v Blank (HBOS/Lloyds) and Comcast/21CF/Sky. It was brilliant. This year they did the FlyBE takeover and the Costa Rica litigation, which was incredibly interesting.

Probably the most technically accessible talk I have been to was by David Adams at Clifford Chance, who presented "A Rough Guide to Finance & Capital Markets". It was excellent. His delivery was excellent. This was the single most useful session I have been to.

Carl Bradshaw's PE session at Kirkland was also exceptional, however, I believe he has now left.

As ever, Chris Stoakes 1hr session about the City is always brilliant. I think I've heard him speak 3 or 4 times at various firms, but I believe he primarily delivers to Hogan Lovells. He does a fantastic job of summarising his book in an hour session.

Very helpful - thanks!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.